Sportsnet WWC coverage

Massive Attack

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I don't disagree with what you and Matt are saying, but what I don't understand is why this wasn't a problem in 1999, when there was far less hype about women's soccer and the Canadian team than there is today. Is it that the broadcast rights cost more this time?

I suspect that this is the case--the 1999 WWC made the American networks, who undoubtedly are providing the feeds, feel that women's soccer was worth a lot more than it had been in the past. There's also the fact that the games are provided in prime time--that would surely be worth more than the matches would have been worth from a Chinese time zone.

All speculation, of course. And furthermore, DJT, I'm considering the same thing as you--the grey market dish. As chilling as the cable demons' commercials may be, I say whatever parts of the electromagnetic spectrum happen to be beamed past my house are mine to do with as I please.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

All speculation, of course. And furthermore, DJT, I'm considering the same thing as you--the grey market dish. As chilling as the cable demons' commercials may be, I say whatever parts of the electromagnetic spectrum happen to be beamed past my house are mine to do with as I please.

Do the Mexican and South American DirecTV signals reach Canada?? That's the big question, I would say! My guess is maybe they reach Southern Ontario, but not much further north than that. Getting a grey-market dish just for American networks doesn't seem worth the hastle. Aside fom Fox Sports en Espanol (Copa Liberatadores) and the Univision networks (Mexican League + all major int'l tourneys) there doesn't seem to be any other channel showing soccer that you cant already see legally in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I believe the vast majority of people are interested in any given thing because it is thrown in their face, not because they actually wanted it in the first place. Because most people are sheep, plain and simple. (This pisses me off, so I've always been the opposite, actively searching out alternatives just to go against the grain --- this is exactly how I started to become a soccer fan, I was tired of American sports and hockey being thrown in my face).

Yah, I agree totally! How else could baseball's popularity be explained? It's like "people watching" in North Dakota - you have to watch through thick beer-goggles before anything looks remotely interesting! ... And since getting into soccer, have you ever tried to "go back" and watch an NFL game? You have to watch a minimum of 4 games at the same time just to ensure that there's at least one game NOT on a commercial break! But try to watch just 2 soccer games at the same time. It doesn't work!

From Sportsnet site:

Sat., Sept. 20 Germany v. Canada (Live on Digital 5:30 pm ET)

ONT, EAST: 10pm ET/ WEST: 8pm MT/ PAC: 7pm PT

Wed, Sept. 24 Canada v. Argentina (Live on SN National 8:30 pm ET, 5:30 pm PT)

Sat, Sept. 27 Canada v. Japan (Live on Digital 7:30 pm ET)

ONT, EAST: 7pm ET/ WEST: 5pm MT/ PAC: 4pm PT

Is it just me, or is there something weird about the Japan game being live on Digital at 7:30pm ET and then "tape delayed" at 7pm ET??

From Sportsnet site:

Sat., Sept. 20 Germany v. Canada (Live on Digital 5:30 pm ET)

ONT, EAST: 10pm ET/ WEST: 8pm MT/ PAC: 7pm PT

Wed, Sept. 24 Canada v. Argentina (Live on SN National 8:30 pm ET, 5:30 pm PT)

Is it just me, or is there something weird about the Japan game being live on Digital at 7:30pm ET and then "tape delayed" at 7pm ET??

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

From Sportsnet site:

I wish you'd stop trashing Sportsnet. You see, the advertisers...

No, sorry. Force of habit. But if they really are showing the game a half hour before it begins, advertisers should really be putting a little more cash on the table. They can make up the difference on Sportsline maybe.

Or maybe they've got some kind of spectacular half-hour pre-game show set up?

:)

Allez les Rouges,

M@

From Sportsnet site:

I wish you'd stop trashing Sportsnet. You see, the advertisers...

No, sorry. Force of habit. But if they really are showing the game a half hour before it begins, advertisers should really be putting a little more cash on the table. They can make up the difference on Sportsline maybe.

Or maybe they've got some kind of spectacular half-hour pre-game show set up?

:)

Allez les Rouges,

M@

From Sportsnet site:

Either the word "Live" should be changed to "SDD" OR</u>

the time "7:30" should be changed to "3:30" OR</u>

the time-zone "ET" should be changed to "GMT"

Then the information would be correct.[8)]

From Sportsnet site:

Either the word "Live" should be changed to "SDD" OR</u>

the time "7:30" should be changed to "3:30" OR</u>

the time-zone "ET" should be changed to "GMT"

Then the information would be correct.[8)]

And since getting into soccer, have you ever tried to "go back" and watch an NFL game? You have to watch a minimum of 4 games at the same time just to ensure that there's at least one game NOT on a commercial break!

You are so right. There is no way I can watch 1 NFL game anymore. I would need a min of 2 or at least some other sporting event (CFL, baseball or some program) to keep me going for the 4 hours of which it seems like 2 hours are commercials.

And since getting into soccer, have you ever tried to "go back" and watch an NFL game? You have to watch a minimum of 4 games at the same time just to ensure that there's at least one game NOT on a commercial break!

You are so right. There is no way I can watch 1 NFL game anymore. I would need a min of 2 or at least some other sporting event (CFL, baseball or some program) to keep me going for the 4 hours of which it seems like 2 hours are commercials.

quote:Originally posted by red card

I'd just like to say here that the forty second play clock is the work of Satan himself. CFL rulez, yo.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

quote:Originally posted by red card

I'd just like to say here that the forty second play clock is the work of Satan himself. CFL rulez, yo.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

NFL football is right about my speed for 11 a.m. on a hungover Sunday morning. You can make food, clean up your apartment, try to remember where all your money went and watch the game all at the same time.

Truthfully I really enjoy all brands of gridiron football, but I agree the ads are excessive (it's no wonder the Super Bowl usually sucks, the game is secondary).

Oh and I gotta say, there are some really unique and weird creatures in the northern US plains. David Lynch is from Montana and I think it's heavily influenced his work. You look around enough and you feel like you're in a Twilight Zone episode where everyone looks like they're in a Norman Rockwell painting, but have secretly been replaced with aliens.

cheers,

matthew

NFL football is right about my speed for 11 a.m. on a hungover Sunday morning. You can make food, clean up your apartment, try to remember where all your money went and watch the game all at the same time.

Truthfully I really enjoy all brands of gridiron football, but I agree the ads are excessive (it's no wonder the Super Bowl usually sucks, the game is secondary).

Oh and I gotta say, there are some really unique and weird creatures in the northern US plains. David Lynch is from Montana and I think it's heavily influenced his work. You look around enough and you feel like you're in a Twilight Zone episode where everyone looks like they're in a Norman Rockwell painting, but have secretly been replaced with aliens.

cheers,

matthew

Here's an article from the Toronto Star criticizing the lack of live coverage of Canada's matches:

Sportsnet drops World Cup ball

Soccer bumped for meaningless Jays

CHRIS ZELKOVICH

They'll be fortifying the barricades at Rogers Sportsnet today, or at least increasing voice mail capacity.

Soccer fans will surely be in a royal snit when they realize that Canada's World Cup women's opener against Germany tomorrow won't be shown until 10 p.m., more than four hours late.

No doubt making them angrier will be the realization that the game is being tape-delayed to make way for a meaningless Blue Jays game.

Fuelling apoplexy will be news that the tournament's semifinals will also be shown on tape thanks to a baseball playoff game. That one does seem a little odd, considering a Canadian semifinal game would easily outdraw a baseball playoff.

Blessedly, the final will be available to all live.

To them, Sportsnet says it feels their pain, but this is life in today's sports broadcasting world. After all, if it weren't for Sportsnet, the games wouldn't be on television since no other broadcaster had room for them.

But Sportsnet has a big advantage.

``We were always aware ... that we would have conflicts relative to baseball," says Sportsnet programming head David Akande. ``But that didn't diminish our interest since we are the broadcaster of not one channel, but four."

What that means is the game will be shown live on Sportsnet East and West tomorrow, giving the 1.5 million households that subscribe to Sportsnet's digital package a choice. Those who get their channels the old-fashioned way will have to wait.

That's a great option, but why not show soccer on the main channel and the Jays on digital?

"The contract (with the Jays) is in place, but even without it ... we know the bedrock audience is the baseball audience," Akande says. "We have 120 games, we've made that commitment.

"There are a huge number of Jays fans who would complain if they couldn't watch the game."

Deals are deals, which is why CBC bailed out on the World Cup after the SARS outbreak moved the games from the middle of the night in China to prime time in the U.S.

The fact that the guy who owns the team also owns Sportsnet might have figured in that pro-Jays decision, too.

Since Sportsnet's digital channels are doing very well, relatively speaking, expect more of this and, as Akande says, more options. Those might include an extra English soccer game on Saturday mornings — and much more.

"I don't see conflicts any more," says Akande. "What I see are scheduling options."

That's a wonderful thing: potentially five Sportsnet channels airing different events. Of course, it's wonderful if you can afford it.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

"I don't see conflicts any more," says Akande. "What I see are scheduling options."

Sportsnet hired a Herb Tarlick (WKRP) wannabe for their scheduling department?

"You know what we call problems in sales? We call them opportunities."

Bet his shoes match his belt.

(oooh, I am dating myself.)

Told the Little One she'll be watching the matchs with grumpy ol' Dad (as a part of her continueing education) and she's actualy quite keen on it.

Something about girls playing I guess. Maybe I'm having an influence, who knows? Either way you slice it I'm pretty pleased about it.

Go digital!!!

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Told the Little One she'll be watching the matchs with grumpy ol' Dad (as a part of her continueing education) and she's actualy quite keen on it.

Something about girls playing I guess. Maybe I'm having an influence, who knows? Either way you slice it I'm pretty pleased about it.

Go digital!!!

Not sure how young your daughter is, but I was thinking about the late tape-delayed broadcast from another point of view: how many young girls --- who make up a significant part of the fan base and target audience --- will be able to watch from 10 PM to midnight? Not exactly an ideal time for them.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

A little OT - But are people aware of the live match tracking through the FIFA site. Looks pretty good, I have Norway-France on right now.

Yes, it looks excellent. Best I've ever seen for soccer. I doubt you could do much more with just text. I'm very impressed.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Go digital!!!

Not sure how young your daughter is, but I was thinking about the late tape-delayed broadcast from another point of view: how many young girls --- who make up a significant part of the fan base and target audience --- will be able to watch from 10 PM to midnight? Not exactly an ideal time for them.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

A little OT - But are people aware of the live match tracking through the FIFA site. Looks pretty good, I have Norway-France on right now.

Yes, it looks excellent. Best I've ever seen for soccer. I doubt you could do much more with just text. I'm very impressed.

Archived