WHAT? Do you have play offs in soccer?

Nutty Finn

Yes, but those playoffs never determine the champion

The first of the division always gets promoted...

And in other countries with playoffs (Spain for example, Netherlands too) for promotion / relegation, they are played between team of both divisions to stay or promote.

A lot of playoffs are also "mini-championships" with 3 or 4 teams and don't have a cup format (examples : Belgium, Netherlands)

Guest Jeffery S.

Some leagues whose winners are decided by playoffs: Chile, Mexico I think, and formerly Brazil though things are changing a bit and I can't follow them. I think Colombia too. The USA. I think any of those teams have done more in the game than Finland, however much it is improving.

All European cups used to be pure playoffs from the start, final rounds still are.

Almost all pro sports, hockey, basketball, handball, also have playoffs. Hell, Davis Cup is a pure playoff too. And the champs are usually considered perfectly deserving.

Having said all this I prefer a single division league ending after the reg season for football, if possible.

Guest Jeffery S.

Some leagues whose winners are decided by playoffs: Chile, Mexico I think, and formerly Brazil though things are changing a bit and I can't follow them. I think Colombia too. The USA. I think any of those teams have done more in the game than Finland, however much it is improving.

All European cups used to be pure playoffs from the start, final rounds still are.

Almost all pro sports, hockey, basketball, handball, also have playoffs. Hell, Davis Cup is a pure playoff too. And the champs are usually considered perfectly deserving.

Having said all this I prefer a single division league ending after the reg season for football, if possible.

I'm much more of a soccer fan than a hockey fan, but I'll say this much: A crucial, and deciding soccer game can, in general, never match the intensity of an NHL playoff game.

The idea that playoffs "rape" the game, is that of a sheep who believes that just because the top European leagues do it, that it must be the best and only way to do things.

I'm much more of a soccer fan than a hockey fan, but I'll say this much: A crucial, and deciding soccer game can, in general, never match the intensity of an NHL playoff game.

The idea that playoffs "rape" the game, is that of a sheep who believes that just because the top European leagues do it, that it must be the best and only way to do things.

The team champion after playoffs is not a champion

But the most in shape team at the end of the year...

The team champion with a regular calender is a true champion of a whole season

But I agree that with the regional divisions, you have to make playoffs because the strength of each group can be very different

The team champion after playoffs is not a champion

But the most in shape team at the end of the year...

The team champion with a regular calender is a true champion of a whole season

But I agree that with the regional divisions, you have to make playoffs because the strength of each group can be very different

So what you're saying is that competitions such as the Champions League mean nothing? These secondary competitions require great team management, depth and fitness. The demands of playing two, sometimes three matches in a 7 day period certainly increase the importance of team fitness and depth.

Either way, I think your argument is moot. In my opinion, the addition of fitness as a requirement only increases the validility of a championship. To win the Stanley Cup you need a team that is not just overall the most skillfull, but which possesses a number of important traits.

Toughness, skill, consistency, and yes, fitness.

Most teams only play at around 75% in the regular season for the sole reason of saving up for the playoffs. So obviously fitness is not as huge a factor as you make it out to be. The Red Wings learnt that lesson the hard way. They had horrible troubles winning the Cup despite having the most talented team.

Soccer teams in the top leagues don't have to worry about challenges like this. In attempting to win the league, they go flat out. So really, for top leagues in which there is such a huge gap between the top team(s) and the rest of the league, it leaves you to wonder, what's the point of even going through the ritual of playing out a schedule? Afterall, league formats serve the purpose of merely awarding the best and most skillfull team. Let's just have a group of experts examine each team on paper and award the title to whom they deem the most talented.

As you say, a championship is there only to determine the most talented team.

That's all that matters, right?

I disagree. As a great man once said: "That's why they play the games!!!"

Yes, but this overtime is "less worse" than what we got before

As Vancouver Fan said, there where shootouts

And last year, it was 4 points for a win + an extra point when you scored three goals (even if you lost)

There where some bizarre results at the end of the season...

Now, it's : 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a defeat

If it's tied after 90', only the score after extra-time counts (I mean : if you get a draw after the legal time, you haven't the point)

I still don't understand why extra time when some teams play two matches in two days and all teams more times in the season have two games on 48h time

The overtime is simply to appease the American soccer audience, or should I say the American sports fan. The Amerian sports fan doesn't like draws so the league has the 2 10 minute overtimes periods with the golden goal in effect.

Since it is their league they can do whatever they want. As has been mentioned the league has come a long way since the shootouts and bonus points.

Archived