The Next U20 team

Gian-Luca

Once again, early signs are that the team is shaping up to be a good one. I believe Nik Ledgerwood is young enough to be eligible for that team (as I believe you have to be born in 1985 or afterwards) and would likely be one of the team's leaders. There are also quite a few players in the systems of good teams in Europe that one would also expect to be on the team - Jeremy Shepherd, Franco Lalli, Ryan Gyaki, Tom Lindley, Andrea Lombardo, David Edgar, Marcel De Jong, Asimir Bergovic, and (if he's born in 1985 or later) Dylan Hughes. Add to that Jamie Peters, who must be thought of fairly highly to have already played for the Olympic team (even if it was only against the USVI). And not forgetting the two South American boys, Carmelo Rago & Manny Gomez. I believe all of these players will be between the ages of 18 and 20 when 2005 rolls around. That's a pretty good core for us to build around, and there could very well be more additions to the list of European-based (or South American I guess)players on that team by the time qualifying begins

This doesn't include Jonathan De Guzman, as the way things are going I don't think we will see him play for Canada until he's cracked the Feynoord senior team (though only he knows for sure).

Yes, we should have a formidable U20 side next time round. Ledgerwood and Hughes are indeed eligible for the next U20 squad and its great that they were able to go overseas this year.

I might add the names of Cam Wilson, Andrew Hainault and Trevor Delpippo to your list as I think some Voyageurs spoke very highly of their play at the last U17 tournament. And if were looking at the '87s there is also Kerr McLeod at Feyenoord with Jonathan DeGuzman.

I also would add Simon Kassaye who has played most recently with our U-20s as a central defender. He was also captain of the U-18 side in Austria and the Czech Republic a few months ago.

In addition, there is also Marco Casalinuovo who was with Franco Lalli in Roma a couple of years back and has been injured lately. And Patrick Kelly who would have started with U-17s but was also injured. Both are midfielders.

Finally, I believe the defender Myles Davis and the winger Vince Stewart were also solid performers from the U-17s

I also would add Simon Kassaye who has played most recently with our U-20s as a central defender. He was also captain of the U-18 side in Austria and the Czech Republic a few months ago.

In addition, there is also Marco Casalinuovo who was with Franco Lalli in Roma a couple of years back and has been injured lately. And Patrick Kelly who would have started with U-17s but was also injured. Both are midfielders.

Finally, I believe the defender Myles Davis and the winger Vince Stewart were also solid performers from the U-17s

quote:Originally posted by ray

[brAnd if were looking at the '87s there is also Kerr McLeod at Feyenoord with Jonathan DeGuzman.

The Kerr McLeod at Feyenoord, was, alas, bad info posted by me. On the plus side, my source of that information has been appropriately berated :)

quote:Originally posted by ray

[brAnd if were looking at the '87s there is also Kerr McLeod at Feyenoord with Jonathan DeGuzman.

The Kerr McLeod at Feyenoord, was, alas, bad info posted by me. On the plus side, my source of that information has been appropriately berated :)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by An Observer

One of my contacts on the U-20 team told me after the Houston tourney in July that he felt Simon was one of the best at the back, as he was the only player willing to play the ball out with some sense. He is a bit young to go to UAE, but the person who wrote me felt he certainly had the stuff to be there and even now could help the team.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by An Observer

One of my contacts on the U-20 team told me after the Houston tourney in July that he felt Simon was one of the best at the back, as he was the only player willing to play the ball out with some sense. He is a bit young to go to UAE, but the person who wrote me felt he certainly had the stuff to be there and even now could help the team.

The significance of all this to me is that after years of inconsistent youth teams (some, like the 1979 or 1997 team being very good, others not so good) it looks like we are seeing consistent quality coming through the ranks - this would make 3 youth teams in a row (2001, 2003 and hopefully 2005) of fairly high quality. This ought to pay off down the road for the senior team (though we will still never reach our full potential until we improve the domestic pro scene).

The significance of all this to me is that after years of inconsistent youth teams (some, like the 1979 or 1997 team being very good, others not so good) it looks like we are seeing consistent quality coming through the ranks - this would make 3 youth teams in a row (2001, 2003 and hopefully 2005) of fairly high quality. This ought to pay off down the road for the senior team (though we will still never reach our full potential until we improve the domestic pro scene).

Guest Jeffery S.

Checking out the Syracuse U site see that Richard Asante, an u-18 player for us, is a freshman with them. Boy is he short, just 5'3" they say.

Alim Karim was voted co-best keeper in their division last week, link here: http://www.suathletics.com/News/Soccer/msoccer/2003/9/8/Alim%20Karim.asp?path=msoccer

He is playing as the starter and who knows, if the other guys can't get playing what is to say he won't get a call-up to UAE, though I think (mostly imagine, but also guess, and actually know a wee bit) that technically he is inferior to Srdjan, Rayner and Fernandes.

There is another Canuck on the side, Quebecois from Greek origin not capped for us, scored last week: see their roster on the link.

Guest Jeffery S.

Checking out the Syracuse U site see that Richard Asante, an u-18 player for us, is a freshman with them. Boy is he short, just 5'3" they say.

Alim Karim was voted co-best keeper in their division last week, link here: http://www.suathletics.com/News/Soccer/msoccer/2003/9/8/Alim%20Karim.asp?path=msoccer

He is playing as the starter and who knows, if the other guys can't get playing what is to say he won't get a call-up to UAE, though I think (mostly imagine, but also guess, and actually know a wee bit) that technically he is inferior to Srdjan, Rayner and Fernandes.

There is another Canuck on the side, Quebecois from Greek origin not capped for us, scored last week: see their roster on the link.

Archived