Johan Cruyff for national coach.

nedvedfan

Cruyff had been approached by the KNVB on more than one occasion and the issues where there was no agreement included money.

I really don't think the CSA, more than the players, would want a coach that would be difficult to fire. Consider, Cruyff is one of the most quotable soccer players out there. Has that Yogi Berra thing happening. Lines like "Every disadvantage has its advantages".

The media here would love him (actually a plus in this country). Cruyff also is not afraid to speak his mind and would call a spade a spade. Even if Cruyff wanted the job and was willing to accept the salary offered, the CSA would shudder at having such a high profile Coach.

I would put Hiddink, Zico, and some others mentioned here in that category too.

quote:Originally posted by nedvedfan

I know that cruyff would be expensive but like holger he would shake things up a bit. why not johann neeskans he has been a assistant for Dutch National team for years. And widely regarded. It would not hurt.[?]

Guest Jeffery S.

Well first off Johan is retired, and spends most of the day playing golf, handling his promotions, and other casual stuff. Sponsors a master in Sport management and has an excellent foundation to promote sport amongst the physically and mentally disabled. I think after his heart attack he has taken a good look at life and realizes it is better just to live it.

Not even the only job he really would have liked again, Barça, would he accept now, as second comings are never successful.

Odd, listening to the radio as I post and his son Jordi comes on talking about the Espanyol game this weekend. Another reason for him to stay in Barcelona: his son is here, and his daughter, married to former Barça keeper Angoy (and current WFL Dragons kicker).

Cruyff would not be a good coach for Canada for one sad reason. He is only willing to work with talent that is already clear, not develop it. He is a coach for winners, as his technique are mostly about having fun training, always with the ball. Weak on physical preparation. Bad for a national team like ours.

And cost: he'd pull at least 2 million CDN, which we cannot pay of course.

Guest Jeffery S.

Well first off Johan is retired, and spends most of the day playing golf, handling his promotions, and other casual stuff. Sponsors a master in Sport management and has an excellent foundation to promote sport amongst the physically and mentally disabled. I think after his heart attack he has taken a good look at life and realizes it is better just to live it.

Not even the only job he really would have liked again, Barça, would he accept now, as second comings are never successful.

Odd, listening to the radio as I post and his son Jordi comes on talking about the Espanyol game this weekend. Another reason for him to stay in Barcelona: his son is here, and his daughter, married to former Barça keeper Angoy (and current WFL Dragons kicker).

Cruyff would not be a good coach for Canada for one sad reason. He is only willing to work with talent that is already clear, not develop it. He is a coach for winners, as his technique are mostly about having fun training, always with the ball. Weak on physical preparation. Bad for a national team like ours.

And cost: he'd pull at least 2 million CDN, which we cannot pay of course.

Archived