Italy vs Wales + Serbia vs Italy on TLN [R]

DJT

FYI, in case you didn't know, the following matches will be broadcast on Telelatino:

Saturday, September 6 - 2:40 PM EDT - Live

Euro 2004 Qualifying

Italy vs. Wales

Sunday, September 7 - 9:00 AM EDT - Tape-delay from Friday, September 5

U21 Euro 2004 Qualifying

Italy vs. Wales

Wednesday, September 10 - 2:40 PM EDT - Live

Euro 2004 Qualifying

Serbia & Montenegro vs. Italy

It appears that TLN still has rights to RAI International programming --- for now, anyway.

Wales/Italy was a great match.Wales made a valiant attempt in the first half but the Azzurri were too much for them in the end.Great team play and outstanding efforts by Del Piero and Zambrotta gave Italy the edge but it was Inzaghi's 3 goals that really earned Italy the win as for nearly 1 hr.Wales defense held down the fort.

The win gives Italy 1st.place in their group but have a tough game on Wednesday in Serbia Montenegro.

Any idea why the Welsh decided not to put the ball into touch when Nesta was lying on the ground injured, early in the first half? A fight of near-Aguiar proportions (see the old board for the reference :) ) nearly broke out on the field & somehow John Hartson escaped without a yellow card.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Wales/Italy was a great match.Wales made a valiant attempt in the first half but the Azzurri were too much for them in the end.Great team play and outstanding efforts by Del Piero and Zambrotta gave Italy the edge but it was Inzaghi's 3 goals that really earned Italy the win as for nearly 1 hr.Wales defense held down the fort.

Yeah, I was really impressed with Wales but it was pretty obvious from the start of the 2nd half that Italy was going to take them to school. Too many breakouts and some really fine passing--the final score wasn't really a surprise.

But Wales looked pretty good in the first half and could've made it a far different game if they'd been better with their finishing. The Italian defence looked surprisingly static at times and if Wales had converted a chance or two they might very well have won.

And I didn't even see the whole thing--I was also watching the Ti-Cats game. Can't remember why I bothered, now...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

The final score was surprising in one respect - usually Italy puts it foot off the gas pedal once they are up by a couple of goals, but here they kept hammering away at Wales. Whether this is the Trappatoni influence finally coming to bear, or they were still ticked about that first half incident, or a little of both, who knows........

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Any idea why the Welsh decided not to put the ball into touch when Nesta was lying on the ground injured, early in the first half? A fight of near-Aguiar proportions (see the old board for the reference :) ) nearly broke out on the field & somehow John Hartson escaped without a yellow card.

I wish I knew.One thing is for sure it did bring a lot of passion into the game.I must say I did enjoy that part of the game.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The final score was surprising in one respect - usually Italy puts it foot off the gas pedal once they are up by a couple of goals, but here they kept hammering away at Wales. Whether this is the Trappatoni influence finally coming to bear, or they were still ticked about that first half incident, or a little of both, who knows........

At halftime my family was worried about how the game would end up.I said"Don't worry Del Piero will score on a penalty and Italy would win 1 nil".The 4 goals was a surprise but so was Vieris' lack of form.It could of been 5 or 6 nil had he been on his game.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

My dad was happy when Panucci came off.Oddo did much better when he came on.

Naturally. The former is a romanista and the latter is a laziale. Need I say more? I will: awesome cross by Oddo to Inzaghi for Italy's second goal.

I was not surprised by this result. In fact, I rarely do this, but I predicted a "convincing" win for Italy right here on this forum. Really they could have had 8 goals with the chances they created. I have to disagree with Matt, I don't think Wales was ever in this game, not because of their own doing but because Italy would not let them in. Italy wanted revenge, and this had to come in the form of more than a win, they had to dominate. I was not surprised to see a continued attack even at 3-0.

Italy has been a different team since that loss in Cardiff, both in terms of player selection and attitude, starting with the friendly draw against Turkey in November, having since won 7 in a row. They are playing better now than they have since Euro 2000.

However, I hope they don't relax too much after the big win and climbing to first place. The match in Serbia on Wednesday is huge and difficult. I fear this one much more than the one against Wales. Luckily for Italy, Lazio's Dejan Stankovic (probably the best Serbian) and Sinisa Mihajlovic (back on form) cannot play in this game.

Guess what. According to reports, Panucci will start and Oddo will sit against Serbia. Does that make sense? And Zanetti is hurt and will be replaced with Tacchinardi, though I think Fiore should be in there.

Hey, Peschfan, I didn't know that you are a Lazio fan. I don't know if you realized that I am as well, though I suppose you could see that in my comments above.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Guess what. According to reports, Panucci will start and Oddo will sit against Serbia. Does that make sense? And Zanetti is hurt and will be replaced with Tacchinardi, though I think Fiore should be in there.

Trap has always favoured Panucci, so it's really no surprise. About time Tacchinardi got a look as well. If it's Zanetti who's hurt, it makes more sense for Tacchi to be there more than Fiore, who is more offensive minded.

Azzurri played a great first half and a horrible second half. but the draw was a good result. Milosevic was dangerous and a point was all they needed. They should be able handle Azerbaijan on october 11 and qualify automatically. Panucci is lacking big, would rather see oddo play insted of panucci. camaronesi didnt impress me that much either id rather see Fiore play. Although being a lazio fan i guess i would like that. tacchi was good. Vieri wasnt 100 % InZaghi was fantastic again. Del piero also solid. not a bad result take care of business oct 11.

As it turns out the Serbia game wasn't very significant from Italy's perspective. The big result was Wales only tying Finland. That ensured that Italy would have their fate in their own hands against Azerbaijan, even had they lost to Serbia. Not that this was known when Italy took the field, but in retrospect it makes me not care about the Serbia result so much. (Of course, Wales care: it allowed them to clinch a playoff spot --- but now comes the hard part!)

I've decided it's better if Oddo and Fiore and Corradi don't play much. Let them stay healthy and rested for Lazio. So there.

"As it turns out the Serbia game wasn't very significant from Italy's perspective. The big result was Wales only tying Finland."

Wales was really lucky to get that one point from that game. Their goal came very early with traditional British ROISK-POKS-PAM system. After that Finland took full control of the game and only Joonas Kolkka's and Mikael Forssell's "goal scoring ability" ensured Wales that one point.

With the play they played against us I don't think that they are going to win Serbia&Montenegro either. Well Italy wont loose to Azerbaijan either...

Archived