Italy: Serie-B strike set to continue

Luis_Rancagua

At least this strike plays in favour of Rocco Placentino who is now set to return to Avellino after a 2 months absence as a result of a leg injury suffered during training with Avellino.

Serie B strike set to continue

Wednesday 3 September, 2003

Today’s meeting of the Lega Calcio failed to reach an agreement on how to restructure Serie B.

The majority of clubs are on strike from all official matches – including today’s planned Coppa Italia fixtures – in protest at the decision to expand the division to 24 teams.

League President Adriano Galliani has warned the participants that he cannot continue to delay the start of the new season.

“It is my job to set the start date for a new campaign,” he explained, “and I have no intention of moving from the agreed Sept 7 kick-off.”

Serie B was originally set to start on August 30, but a series of rows over how to restructure the division show no signs of calming down.

“It’s like talking to two brick walls,” admitted Galliani. “We adjourned for another meeting tomorrow and I hope to find a consensus and start the season.”

23 of the clubs have voted against the September 7 start date and the spokesperson for the rebels is Atalanta patron Ivan Ruggeri.

“We want to play football,” he insisted, “but not under these conditions. Galliani cannot get us by the throats and threaten sanctions if we don’t play.”

The FIGC, who made the controversial decision to expand Serie B without asking for a club vote, has already imposed sanctions on the teams that failed to attend their Coppa Italia ties last week.

One point was deducted – the first round is a group stage – and a 3-0 victory given to those sides that did turn up but were left without any opposition.

The Serie B rebels have announced they will play if the Federation chief Franco Carraro resigns.

“Carraro is the real problem,” added Palermo patron Maurizio Zamparini. “He cannot rule the football world with such complete arrogance. The whole system needs to be rebuilt.”

Cagliari President Massimo Cellino is perhaps the most vociferous in his criticism of Carraro.

“Carraro says he is sorry and wants to take a step back?” he suggested. “Good, I hope he’s standing on the edge of a cliff at the time.”

But serie C has already started so they can’t relegate anyone anymore! Or can they? Catania hasn’t changed divisions yet this month, so they’re due!

So apparently they’re gonna break serie B into 2 parts: B1 and B2.

B2 will consist of: Florentia, Salerno, Genoa & Catania.

B1 will consist of the other 20.

This satisfies the requirement that Catania change division this month!

But all 24 teams still play each other!

The top 3 teams in B1 get promoted to serie A along with the top team in B2. Unless the top team in B2 is not Florentia, in which case Florentia will get promoted instead.

The bottom 2 teams in B2 get relegated. Unless one of them is Florentia, in which case the second-placed team gets relegated and Florentia move up to serie A!

The bottom 6 teams in B1 get relegated, thus bring serie B back to 20 teams for next year!

But serie C has already started so they can’t relegate anyone anymore! Or can they? Catania hasn’t changed divisions yet this month, so they’re due!

So apparently they’re gonna break serie B into 2 parts: B1 and B2.

B2 will consist of: Florentia, Salerno, Genoa & Catania.

B1 will consist of the other 20.

This satisfies the requirement that Catania change division this month!

But all 24 teams still play each other!

The top 3 teams in B1 get promoted to serie A along with the top team in B2. Unless the top team in B2 is not Florentia, in which case Florentia will get promoted instead.

The bottom 2 teams in B2 get relegated. Unless one of them is Florentia, in which case the second-placed team gets relegated and Florentia move up to serie A!

The bottom 6 teams in B1 get relegated, thus bring serie B back to 20 teams for next year!

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I heard that if they win their group they will be named Italian champions and get the bye into the first round of the Champions League that comes with it, but they are fighting for a bye into the second round. After all, they are purple so they deserve it.

BTW, "Florentia" are officially "Fiorentina" once again.

This whole mess has rippled further down the pyramid as well. One of my other favourite Italian teams, AS Sora, were supposed to be relegated to C2 but got to stay in C1 --- plus, with Martina in the same group and losing points for not showing up for games, survival is looking better! :D Martina got robbed (along with Pisa they were next up for promotion to B when Fiorentina leap-frogged them).

"I hope he’s standing on the edge of a cliff at the time." :D

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I heard that if they win their group they will be named Italian champions and get the bye into the first round of the Champions League that comes with it, but they are fighting for a bye into the second round. After all, they are purple so they deserve it.

Which reminds me, its gonna look weird seeing Fiorentina and Palermo play each other: Purple v Pink!

Unfortunately, our ideas only screw things up for 1 or 2 seasons. I'm sure the IMMA (Italian Micky Mouse Association) will come up with a better idea to keep things messed up forever. They're probably gonna expand the number of teams in serie A for next season!

Archived