Thank you card for Holger?

ray

Dare I suggest the Voyageurs send a thank you card to Holger for his efforts on behalf of Canadian soccer (and to wish him and his family well in the future)? This is the first time a coach has left since 1997 when the Voyageurs were much less organized. We may not always have agreed with his decisions but he was very committed to Canada while in charge of the MNT.

What are people's feelings? Is this a good idea or not?

On one hand, I agree that the card would be a good idea, and it would make sense since he delivered what was probably one of the biggest membership boosts ever, the 2000 GC.

On the other hand, he was never communicative with us at all, and openly disparaged us in the media. I'm all for being the nice guy and sending him a card, but I would also understand if the general sentiment was against him... in balance I think I'd be with the "no" votes.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Yes, I fully support a card and best wishes. Even though in the end I'd lost confidence in our ability to qualify for 2006 World Cup, I never doubted Holger's dedication to the program or commitment to winning. A lot of his player management difficulties are common to national team coaches everywhere, exacerbated by the fact almost all our best players ply their trade on the other side of the world.

Good luck and best wishes to Holger Osieck.

I'd be up for it as well. And yes he was very friendly to us in person (keep in mind his "disparaging" comments were usually in response to Neil Davidson letting him know that we were criticizing him for not selecting players we hadn't seen play - which is what he pointed out in his public comments - a justified response IMO). He was always grateful for our support & in person always spoke very highly of the Voyageurs movement.

I'm in. Holger was the first manager to win us a major trophy. He's earned a spot in Canadian sporting history, and as the national supporters club, I think it's our responsibility to thank him. Just remember what you felt like when the final whistle blew against Colombia -- are you telling me that doesn't deserve a bit of praise?

Sign me up, lads.

Probably the only Holger supporter in the world. Ah well, maybe he was the right man to start something but wasn't the right man to take it anywhere further.

Kinda reminds one about the lines which were being babbled about in the Reform party. You know, Preston Manning, Stockwell Day, and so on.

Count me in. I hope Holger lands on his feet, maybe with a European pro team somewhere. He always said he liked Canada as a place to live and I hope his recent experience hasn't soured him on the country or the players or us, the fans.

Count me in, definitely!

I never had much of a problem with the guy. Actually, I liked him. Sure there were questionable decisions, but where in the world doesn't this happen? In fact, in some countries it is much worse, and these are countries that have a lot going for them in soccer terms (eg. Italy, Brazil, Argentina - all in the past couple of years). Let's face it, Osieck had little to work with, as will the new coach. Frankly, I would be surprised to see anything much better than what we saw with Osieck.

Good luck Holger!

ray, are you willing to organize this? Usually the person who suggests something ends up organizing it.

Absolutely. I'm with Cheeta. Always supported the man. Good luck Holger, you gave us absolute joy in 2000 and again in 2003 when we beat Costa Rica (maybe that feeling escaped those who weren't there or were soured by the subsequent loss to Cuba, but I will always be grateful).

Unfortunate he couldn't stay on as technical director. My feelings were that his real strengths lay in that area.

Onward Holger!

quote:Originally posted by DJT

ray, are you willing to organize this? Usually the person who suggests something ends up organizing it.

Well, I guess I could organize the card. I am in Ottawa and could just drop it off at the CSA headquarters. But I could use some help with the text of the card. Also, I could use some input from the people that handle the Christmas cards. Do you just buy cards off the shelf? And do you print the names/knicknames of all the well-wishers or just send the card on behalf of the Voyageurs?

quote:Originally posted by ray

Dare I suggest the Voyageurs send a thank you card to Holger for his efforts on behalf of Canadian soccer (and to wish him and his family well in the future)? This is the first time a coach has left since 1997 when the Voyageurs were much less organized. We may not always have agreed with his decisions but he was very committed to Canada while in charge of the MNT.

What are people's feelings? Is this a good idea or not?

Yes please count me in as well

Archived