With Holger out, will this mean Bircham's return??

Luis_Rancagua

Guys, over a year ago, a Neil Davidson article has stated clearly that Marc Bircham will not return back to the National squad as long as Holger Osiek is still the coach. Now that Holger has tendered his resignation will Bircham seriously return to the National squad??? With this question, I would like to innitiate a serious debate on this issue. I do think that the time is right. I am also hoping that Bircham is looking at the Canadian press right now. He has admitted to Davidson that he still follows the Canadian squad from time-to-time through the Internet. Hey Marc!!! I hope your out there. The time is now right to come back home.

First, I don't think following the team through the Internet is tantamount to a statement of commitment to the team. I follow lots of teams through the Internet; that is one of the great things about this piece of modern technology.

Second, you'll have a hard time convincing me at this point in time that Bircham is good enough to be a starter on our current edition of the Canadian team. Most of our starting midfield (De Guzman, Stalteri, arguably Nsaliwa) are currently playing at a higher level than him, and are younger, with more promise for continued development.

Third, I think our focus should be on Canadian soccer, not on opportunists looking for a backdoor into international footie.

But maybe I'm wrong and we'll see Bircham back.

First, I don't think following the team through the Internet is tantamount to a statement of commitment to the team. I follow lots of teams through the Internet; that is one of the great things about this piece of modern technology.

Second, you'll have a hard time convincing me at this point in time that Bircham is good enough to be a starter on our current edition of the Canadian team. Most of our starting midfield (De Guzman, Stalteri, arguably Nsaliwa) are currently playing at a higher level than him, and are younger, with more promise for continued development.

Third, I think our focus should be on Canadian soccer, not on opportunists looking for a backdoor into international footie.

But maybe I'm wrong and we'll see Bircham back.

I am sure that Pesch, Aguiar, Watson, Bircham, Jazic and some others will be very pleased to hear this news.

Problem is that, with any coaching change, you risk losing other players as you gain some back. It is virtually impossible for a coach to please everyone. Hope Radzinski sticks around.

I am sure that Pesch, Aguiar, Watson, Bircham, Jazic and some others will be very pleased to hear this news.

Problem is that, with any coaching change, you risk losing other players as you gain some back. It is virtually impossible for a coach to please everyone. Hope Radzinski sticks around.

Where is this great Canadian midfield so many of you love to talk about?

Last time Canada played our mid was comprised of A-leaguers like Nash and Dasovich.

Lets be smart enough to realise that payers get hurt and have club commitments...so we need premiership caliber players such as Bircham.

Where is this great Canadian midfield so many of you love to talk about?

Last time Canada played our mid was comprised of A-leaguers like Nash and Dasovich.

Lets be smart enough to realise that payers get hurt and have club commitments...so we need premiership caliber players such as Bircham.

I think it's a little unfair to label Bircham an opportunist. He was 100% committed to the team until his falling-out with Holger, and he was a contributor. Whether he deserves a shot at a call-up should depend only on his fitness and skills, not on whether he was born here.

I don't really want to look around for other people to cap in the same way Marc was, but he's paid his dues for the nats and if a new coach thinks he'd be useful, then I'll be cheering him too.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Why not look for another Bircham or 2. We don't make the rules, but we do have to play by them.

No other countries are going to turn down a player who can help their team just because they don't think it's right. Anyone who has seen the ragtag teams we have put togther for the last few friendlies/gold cup know that we need all the depth we can get.

No one had a problem when Godfrey deciced to play for us!

I would much prefer A Bircham or Godfrey who want to play for this country, then a Jezic or Rad who will play for their country but only under their terms and quite lengthly conditions.

Well this is promising news for the National Team as this brings so many shunned and snubbed players back into the loop.

Pesch, Bircham, Aguiar etc will be welcome returnees from their long eeclusion on the national scene. Things are on the up and up and i cant wait to see these players pull on the Canadian colours again.

quote:Originally posted by Chet

Bircham: "Well, I could take off my hat. But then again, I could throw a tantrum and quit the Canadian team. Tough choice. Canada. Hat. Canada. Hat. [Looks in mirror] Damn, this hat looks good on me!"

"I'm 24 years old and play for most hated team in England. I like to party with page three girls and dye my hair blue. I'd scored for Canada before I set foot in the place, but I learned the words to the anthem and wore a Mountie outfit to a Milwall team party. Some Guatemalan nutter threatened to shoot me. The gaffer doesn't like me, but I make curfew, try to be a good guy and then he ****s on me because I wore a hat to dinner. And after I've paid to have my mom and dad fly over from London to Japan to watch me play. He keeps me out of the side for the first time in months because of it."

Hey there's two sides to every story. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Bircham can play right back which right now is a wide open spot. Personally I'd like to see Nsaliwa and Bent get a look, but surely Birch is in the same class as those two. We also have no idea who might fit into the right side of midfield.

Anyway the Finland friendly just got a lot more interesting.

cheers,

matthew

We need depth. Yeah, we've got De Guzman, Nsaliwa et al, but what happens when they're injured or suspended? The deeper the pool, the better we'll swim. I say bring on Bircham if he's still interested. Aguiar and Jazic, too. We lost Hargreaves because of foolish international rules, so I don't see why we shouldn't benefit if it means we can actually make substitutions when the team is tired. No more 16-man squads!

quote:Originally posted by matthew

"I'm 24 years old and play for most hated team in England. I like to party with page three girls and dye my hair blue. I'd scored for Canada before I set foot in the place, but I learned the words to the anthem and wore a Mountie outfit to a Milwall team party. Some Guatemalan nutter threatened to shoot me. The gaffer doesn't like me, but I make curfew, try to be a good guy and then he ****s on me because I wore a hat to dinner. And after I've paid to have my mom and dad fly over from London to Japan to watch me play. He keeps me out of the side for the first time in months because of it."

Ouch. Great reply, matthew :D

Seems like a lot of unhatched chickens are being counted.

Few fellows more in the know than any of us at the national team level may not be over anxious to have some of these mutiniers back. Very complicated stuff.

Some of these lads may have found they like not having the bother of national team commitments.

For what it's worth though, I'd be very happy to see Bircham back in a Canada kit.

P.S. Well done, Matthew. Easy eight out of ten on the ****'sterber scale.

quote:Originally posted by George

Mark has been linked to Tottenham and other Premier league clubs throughout his career.

I guess that is just luck right? Because how can a talented player be ostracized from Canada right? See Pesch, Rad., Fernando, Ante etc...

Bircham turned down all those offers to go down a level to join QPR. Something not right in the brain.

Wonder how much his ego was bruised in losing to Cardiff City in the promo playoff.

Jazic had put his carrer before his country and only seeme to be considered only after Lothar left Rapid. Coinsidence?

Archived