2004 Open Canada Cup discussion starts early!!

Rocket Robin

2004 Open Canada Cup will go national...

CPSL media director Stan Adamson announced to the crowd before the start of the (2003 Open Canada Cup) London City vs Metro Lions game that next year's Open Canada Cup winner will play against other Canadian regional champs before being considered the Open Canada Cup winner.

They will promote that the winner of the (soon to be)nationwide Open Canada Cup be named to any CONCACAF nations cup tournament.

That should keep this board talking for the next six months and start the most-replied-to post in Voyageurs board history!

Even if the tournament does expand as they are suggesting (I am not confident that it will), they should still stop short of promoting (to the CSA, it would have to be) that the winner should enter the CONCACAF Champions Cup unless the A-League teams take part as well. Only a competition involving our top teams should be considered as a qualifier for the Champions Cup.

quote:Originally posted by PaulV

Agree! The GTA-based CPSL teams complain about travel to Ottawa and Montreal eating up their operating budget. I can't imagine they'd be too fussed about Tegucigalpa.

Ha, ha. Nice one!

The only way the CSA should sanction this tournament is if they are in charge of accepting participants, scheduling matches, selecting venues, etc. The CPSL clearly cannot do the job. Would the CSA really want to see Canada represented by a London City that gets in the finals via the back door? If the CPSL want to have their "Canada Cup" then let them. However, it should not count for anything outside the limited world of the CPSL.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Even if the tournament does expand as they are suggesting (I am not confident that it will), they should still stop short of promoting (to the CSA, it would have to be) that the winner should enter the CONCACAF Champions Cup unless the A-League teams take part as well. Only a competition involving our top teams should be considered as a qualifier for the Champions Cup.

I apologize if I'm opening up an old debate that has already been resolved, but aren't only League winners allowed entrance into the Champions Cup? I thought Cup winners weren't eligible for the tournament.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I apologize if I'm opening up an old debate that has already been resolved, but aren't only League winners allowed entrance into the Champions Cup? I thought Cup winners weren't eligible for the tournament.

quote:Originally posted by ray

The only way the CSA should sanction this tournament is if they are in charge of accepting participants, scheduling matches, selecting venues, etc. The CPSL clearly cannot do the job.

I don't think the CSA can do the job, either. See my post under Cooks' thread.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

That's certainly the way it works in UEFA. In CONCACAF, though, I doubt the rules are as strict --- I mean, they are constantly changing their tournaments around and have not really settled into a well-defined system yet (which reminds me, people criticize the CPSL, but look at CONCACAF --- is it really surprising that a lower-level league is screwed up?). Since we have no league, I would expect that we'd be able to get in with a proper cup tournament if it is open to the best teams. But I'm just guessing.

Archived