Any chance of representation in Champions Cup?

Water

Is there any chance of getting, say, the Voyageurs Cup winner into the 2004 CONCACAF Champions Cup? The Whitecaps might be able to give some MLS teams a run for their money, although the real talent is in the Mexican leage.

EDIT: Make that the Lynx or the Impact.

Sure, there is a GOOD chance. CSA would have to get off their butts and do some pushing on this. The ball is in their court to get after CONCACAF on this.

The only possible argument from CONCACAF might be that the Voyageurs is not a true competition and that we don't have a true league. Perhaps a run-off between the winner of the Voyageur's Cup and the Open Cup (CPSL and all) might make it more legitimate.

But, I see little possibility that CONCACAF would turn down a serious proposal from the CSA.

I'm sure as far as CONCACAF is concearned the more the merrier. But then you'd have to have a Cup tourny. And then you'd have to send winner of said tourny abroad.

Which of course means bills.

Now I'm sure if Cup matchs were tied to the CONCACAF Champions Cup they'd be the best draws of the season for every Canadian side that could enter the tourny, but I don't think anybody other than maybe Montreal wouldn't think long and very hard about the added expenses of such an adventure.

Which leaves us with the CSA acting as financier. Wonderful. Thus, no CSA Cup. Now if some Voyageur has a spare million to organise and sponsor a Canadian Championship Open Cup we're a go.

There's a canadian championship !

It exists, has the form of a championship, the smell of a championship, etc.

And that IS the Voyageurs Cup (huh)

CSA has only ONE thing to do : recognize the V-cup winner as the official Canadian Champion.

Is that so difficult for them ????????????????????

It would give a new step of prestige to this trophy that has won a lot of consideration this year.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

There's a canadian championship !

It exists, has the form of a championship, the smell of a championship, etc.

And that IS the Voyageurs Cup (huh)

CSA has only ONE thing to do : recognize the V-cup winner as the official Canadian Champion.

Is that so difficult for them ????????????????????

It would give a new step of prestige to this trophy that has won a lot of consideration this year.

The problem is cost. None of the A-league teams can really afford it. What I'd like to see (and in fact would lead if the board thought it a good idea) is to find a corporate sponsor and have a final between the top two teams. i.e. the Lynx and the Impact would play after the A-League season is over. Have a real Cup Final. Hopefully have sufficient prize money to finance CONCACAF Cup participation. Will concede that corporate sponsorship is unlikely, and if successful may involve calling the thing the Conglomorate X Voyageurs Cup.

Why do you speak about a "cup final" when Voyageurs cup isn't a cup but a championship ?

And, maybe to begin, CSA could give the title of Canadian Champion to the Voyageurs cup winner.

It would be a first step.

Then, we could think about concacaf participation and money.

And even if there's no money enough and so no concacaf champions cup, the title of canadian champion would be given.

Canada seems to be one of the only countries in the world that hasn't a national soccer champion...

Montreal would be able to afford it. However, CONCACAF would place the Canadian rep. at the very early preliminary rounds and other clubs such as Mexico and USA would come into play in later rounds, therefore, it would get costly, of course, but Saputo can afford it. he would defintiely help put canadian pro scene on the map for a change.

Back in 1992, The 86ers were to take on a central American team (name and country eludes me at the moment) but when they had to face at least four or five rounds before meeting (possibly) a mexican club which would be their first round, it didn't make sense, this isn't UEFA. HTerfore, 86ers felt it would get extremely costly, if they were to advance to the every following round, so they pulled out.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

Back in 1992, The 86ers were to take on a central American team (name and country eludes me at the moment) but when they had to face at least four or five rounds before meeting (possibly) a mexican club which would be their first round, it didn't make sense, this isn't UEFA. HTerfore, 86ers felt it would get extremely costly, if they were to advance to the every following round, so they pulled out.

It was Hamilton International of Bermuda. Hamilton was eliminated by the Dallas Rockets in the next round.

Archived