U of S Huskies tie Sons of Italy

Gordon

Sorry, this is a bit old, but in the course of browsing the U of Huskie's schedule, I came across this from August 24th:

HUSKIES TIE WITH THE SONS OF ITALY

Winnipeg, MB. - The University of Saskatchewan Huskies tied the 2002 Senior Men’s Soccer National Champions the Sons of Italy 2-2 today in the Huskies second exhibition match of the weekend.

The Huskies were evenly matched with the defending champions with the game turning into a pitched battle for scoring opportunities. Steven Krieg, and Cody Ryan who each scored in the first half of regulation play led the Huskies. The Sons of Italy tied the game going into half time. The second half saw both teams tighten up defensively and scoring opportunities became limited. Each team had to work hard to get a scoring chance but time expired and the game ended in a tie. Goalkeepers John Neufeld and Adam Chomas both saw action in a game that was a good test for a veteran Huskies club.

Apparently they beat Winnipeg United Weston (?) 3-0 the day before and did not allow a shot at goal.

Also noticed that Keegan Thomas, of Team Calgary (The team formerly know as Storm), is playing for the U of S Huskies this year. The team is desperately short of striking talent (as always), so this is a good news. Nice to see a top prospect stay in the Province.

Pity I didn't know about the friendlys, would've tried to make it out for one or the other.

That's right, United Weston. Oldest football club team in Canada. They got a "free" promotion up from the 1st Division after Thistle disbanded before the season kicked off. Have been surprisingly more competative than anyone expected but all and all aren't very good.

Good on the Huskies. They can claim two good results against two former Canadian Champions. Of course, I dought there is anyone alive today who could remember the last time Weston won the Nationals.

Archived