Telelatino's soccer coverage for the new season

DJT

There is confusion surrounding TLN's Italian soccer coverage in light of the possibility of a new RAI International channel. Many people seem to think that TLN will lose their Serie A coverage. This is not true, because they obtain their Serie A games from Eurosport, not RAI International. What they could lose are Coppa Italia games, European club competition games (though they never had these consistently in the first place), Italian national team games, plus shows like Novantesimo Minuto and La Domenica Sportiva.

The soccer section of TLN's site was updated on Tuesday with information on the upcoming season. Here are the highlights (all times Eastern):

[*]First matchday broadcast schedule:

Sunday, August 31

9:00 AM - Inter vs. Modena (live)

11:00 AM - Juventus vs. Empoli (tape delay)

2:30 PM - Bologna vs. Parma (live)

Monday, September 1

2:30 PM - Ancona vs. Milan (live, repeat at 9:00 PM)

[*]Tuesdays through Fridays from 11:00 PM to 12:30 AM, Best of Italian Championship Soccer: "features extended highlights of all four weekend games".

[Personally I don't see what the point of this is since fans will just watch the games on the weekend. Plus I'd get tired of hearing about Inter, Juve and Milan all week long. [xx(] ]

[*]Mondays from 11:00 PM to 12:00 AM, Italian Soccer Fanatics Show:

"TLN is also launching a wacky Monday night TLN original production. Each week 3 everyday soccer fanatics in their late 20's to early 30's, sit in lounge chairs in TLN's studios and watch extended highlights of all 9 weekend Italian Championship Soccer games -- their lively and unscripted commentary, wisecracks and hot debates remind us all why passionate sports fans should be fingerprinted."

[i'm interested to see how this turns out. Could be like a Web discussion board playing out on TV, or a soccer-themed "reality" show. Could also be lame, irritating and just plain stupid. I commend TLN for trying it, though.]

[*]Looking ahead to next summer, TLN will carry Copa America 2004.

[Yes!!!]

La Domenica Sportiva would be a great loss. Their practice of placing incredibly good looking women in the audience at random (who just sit there and don't look one bit interested) is something soccer in this country can't afford to lose.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

La Domenica Sportiva would be a great loss. Their practice of placing incredibly good looking women in the audience at random (who just sit there and don't look one bit interested) is something soccer in this country can't afford to lose.

I agree completely! That's exactly what got me through 4 years of university in Waterloo. You're more likely to encounter a dinosaur on the streets in that town than any woman comparable to what they have on that show.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Hey!! Careful.. lol

Oh yeah... sorry.

I find it funny how the guys on La Dominica Sportiva will be talking about something supposedly really interesting. Meanwhile, sitting behind them would be some of the most amazing women on the face of the planet... I find it hard to believe that these guys even remember their own names, much less anything that happened in serie A earlier that day! My theory is, they’re just talking rubbish but of course nobody could ever prove this cuz that would require actually focussing on what they were saying ... They must get the highest ratings of any soccer-related show in this continent!

The women on these shows (not only La Domenica Sportiva, also most other Italian talk shows) are sometimes referred to as "prezzemolo", which means "parsley" --- they are supposed to do for the show what a piece of parsley does for a fancy dish. The role is taken seriously, as the women are often trying to step up to modelling so it is big for them to get on TV.

Personally I find most of them to be too fake. However, I do miss Simona from La Grande Giostra dei Gol. :( (Well, she is more than parsley, she also reads e-mails. :D)

Archived