Jump to content

2003 Daegu Summer Universiade Results

Recommended Posts

The Canadian women lost 3-1 to South Korea today in their opening match at the 2003 Daegu Summer Universiade.

Megan Beckett opened the scoring in the 16th minute for Canada, but a brace by the Koreans in the first half, followed by two additional goals for them in the second, resulted in the 3-1 scoreline.

Have a look at the stats here:


The Canadian men kick off their campaign in a couple hours' time against China.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm impressed on two counts. First, that has to be the first Gillespie cross that found a target in about two months. Second, we did it despite the fact we started two goalkeepers!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DAEGU, South Korea - Steve Frazao scored during a goalmouth scramble in the 90th minute to lift the Canadian men`s soccer team to a surprising 2-1 victory over China in its opening game of the 2003 Summer Universiade.

After a balanced, but tentative, first 35 minutes, it was the Canadians who struck first.

UBC Defender Aaron Richer (Vancouver) collected a pass from University of Alberta`s Jordan Gillespie (Saskatoon) from well beyond the penalty area and cracked a shot past a helpless Chinese goalkeeper, sending Canada into the locker room with a 1-0 advantage.

China opened the second half on the offensive, and at the 48-minute mark tied the contest at 1-1. Chinese midfielder Yu Fei found an opening in the Canadian back line and fired a shot past an outstretched John Robinson (Victoria) in goal.

That would be the last time the Chinese would beat Robinson, from University of Victoria, who made a number of key saves in the second half to keep the score tied, setting the table for Frazao`s game-winner.

"This team has bonded and gelled during our week in Korea," said Frazao, a native of Port Coquitlam, BC. "This win is going to give us momentum going into our next contest."

The men`s soccer entry for Canada is the first since the 1995 Universiade in Fukuoka, Japan, where they placed 15th.

Head Coach Len Vickery is excited about the potential of this 2003 squad. "This is a new beginning for our Canadian teams participating at the [universiade]. We knew coming in that they (China) were ranked, having finished 4th in 2001, but we organized ourselves and were successful."

Pool D men`s soccer action continues on Friday, when the Canadians take on Uruguay. They will wrap the round robin portion of their schedule versus Iran on Sunday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Women's soccer drops opener to hosts

August 20, 2003


DAEGU, Korea - South Korea scored on a penalty kick in the 59th-minute to break a 1-1 deadlock, as the Canadian women`s soccer team dropped a 3-1 decision in their opening match of the 2003 Summer Universiade in Daegu, Korea.

The Canadians controlled the game`s opening moments and their pace up front was rewarded in the 16th-minute when McMaster University midfielder Megan Beckett scored the Games` first goal with a brilliant free kick. From just outside the penalty area, the Hamilton, ON native curled the ball over the Korean wall and beyond the outstretched goalkeeper, before grazing the crossbar and finding the back of the net.

The Koreans replied 14 minutes later however, when the ball got past University of Ottawa defender Melanie White (Ottawa, ON), who lost her footing on the wet turf. The Korean forward, Kyung Suk Hong, then stepped past charging Canadian goalkeeper Beth McCharles (Ottawa, ON), also from the University of Ottawa, before tucking it into the empty net.

Canada was forced to defend to open the second half and after of a flurry activity in front of their goal, University of Guelph`s Stephanie-Anne MacKenzie (Camlachie, ON) was booked in the area, giving the Hosts a penalty kick. McCharles made a tremendous sprawling save on the penalty, only to have Hee Yeon Yoo tap in her own rebound.

With the 31-degree heat wearing on the Canadians, Hong scored her second of the game on a partial breakaway with six minutes to play. She slipped past a depleted Canadian defence who were forced to push forward in search of the equalizer.

Regardless of the result, Head Coach Ness Timmons, from University College of Cape Breton, was pleased with his team`s effort. "I`m really proud of the girls. We`ve been training in the rain all week, but they still battled through the heat and gave a great team effort."

"It was a very emotional day," admitted MacKenzie, who stood out on defence for the Canadians. "On Friday we just need to settle it down a little and really take it to them like we did in the first half today."

Next up for Team Canada is a Friday afternoon match-up with the Republic of Ireland, the third team in Pool A. The top two teams in Pool A will advance to the quarterfinals, with the remaining teams battling for places nine to 11.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Men's footie:

Canada 2-4 Uruguay

A second goal for UBC's Aaron Richer... c'mon you Whitecaps, sign this lad up!



NORTON Brett 44'

RICHER Aaron 45'


FERNANDEZ Marcelo 7'

SUAREZ Federico 25'

FERNANDEZ Marcelo 36'

FERNANDEZ Marcelo 49'

Oh, and a massive photo from the Canada-China match, as posted on the CIS official website:


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Women's footie, Aug 22:

Canada 1-4 Ireland

Canadian Danielle Day opened the scoring, but a hattrick from Ireland's Susie Cunningham sunk the Canucks.








DEASLEY Dolores 72'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Canada suffers disapointing [sic] loss to Uruguay

August 22, 2003


DAEGU, South Korea- In Canada's second game of the 2003 Universiade men's soccer tournament, the squad came away with a 4-2 loss to Uruguay.

Straight out of the kickoff, Uruguay was on the offensive, heading directly from the midfield to attack the Canadian defense, pushing them back on their heels. At the 6th-minute, Marcelo Fernandez cut through the defensive line to score on Canada's Jordan Robinson (Victoria) with a ball that drove high into the left corner of the net.

Canada tried to rally, but Uruguay kept up the pressure. The Canadians earned two yellow cards and an expulsion for Etienne Godbout (Montreal), leaving the team a player short, and awarding Uruguay two penalty kicks, converted into two more goals. Canada came back to score in the 42nd minute with a goal by middle Brett Norton (Charlottetown), followed quickly by a score at the 44-minute mark from Aaron Richer (Vancouver), leaving the Canadian squad one goal behind Uruguay at the half.

Uruguay dominated the second frame, coming out to score in the 47th-minute. Goaltender Robinson and the defensive line worked hard to protect the net. At the end of the contest Uruguay was ahead by two, leaving Canada to win its third and final game of the round robin to secure a spot at the 2005 Universiade.

Goalie Jordan Robinson has faith in his team: ``We know we can come together, and I feel that we'll get the results we're looking for,`` he shared after the game. ``I'm looking forward to taking on Iran``.

``All credit goes to the players,`` stated Head Coach Len Vickery after the game: ``To keep so close together and play so strongly against a ninth-ranked team is a real feat.``

Canada goes on to play Iran, winner of their last two games, on Sunday at 4 p.m. (local) to determine their playoff spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Canada to play on consolation side in women's soccer

August 22, 2003


DAEGU, South Korea - A hat trick by Ireland's Susie Cunningham in a span of 26 minutes proved too much for the Canadian women's soccer squad on Friday afternoon, as the red and white team dropped a 4-1 decision at the 2003 Summer Universiade. With the loss, Canada ends round robin play in Pool A with an 0-2 record and will now play for positions 9 to 12.

In a carbon copy of their tournament opener, a 3-1 loss to host South Korea, the Canadians opened the scoring against the Irish and were tied 1-1 at the half, but again couldn't keep pace with their opponents in the second frame.

"It did look somewhat like our first game," admitted Head Coach Ness Timmons from the University College of Cape Breton. "With Ireland scoring so soon in the second half (46th-minute), we had to open up the play which created more chances on both sides. They just happened to finish theirs, while we just couldn't seem to put the final touch on ours."

McGill University's Danielle Day of Ile Bizard, QC, put Team Canada on top at the 15th-minute. After accepting a pass from Universite Laval's Lisa Nolet (Quebec City) in the penalty area, Day put a nice move on the Irish goalie before striking the ball past her on the upper right side of the net.

Ireland tied the contest at 1-1 with three minutes to go in the half when Susie Cunningham burried the first of her three goals. Cunningham struck again two minutes into the final period, and completed her hat trick at the 68th-minute. Her third goal proved to be a back-breaker for the Canadians, who had opened up the play and had created numerous dangerous chances following the second Irish score.

"Being eliminated from medal contention this early is of course dissapointing," commented Timmons. "It's though on the girls at the moment, but we have an outstanding group of players and they will be ready to compete and win those remaining games when they step back onto the field in a couple of days."

Team Canada's next outing is scheduled for August 26th at 4 p.m. (local) against South Africa, third in Pool C.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


August 24, 2003


DAEGU, South Korea - The Canadian men`s soccer squad ended its preliminary round tournament with a disappointing 2-1 loss to Iran on Sunday and will have to settle for a spot in the consolation round at the 2003 Summer Universiade.

The match started off slowly for Canada, who played tentatively against the aggressive Iranian squad. Canadians John Gallo (Niagara Falls, ON) and Jordan Gillespie (Saskatoon, SK) were each yellow carded in the first half for tripping and holding.

At the 16-minute mark, Iran scored their first of two goals, with a header that deflected in off of Canadian goalkeeper Jordan Robinson of Victoria leaving Canada a goal behind at the half.

Canada came out on the offensive in the second half, looking for opportunities to even the score, but Iran struck for a second time. Bahman Tahmasebi scored just moments after a discussion to eject Canadian John Gallo for receiving his second yellow card. Before the Canadians could get organized the score was 2-0.

John Gallo was red carded and ejected and will sit out next game.

Canada, scrambling to find their way back into the match, found the back of net in the 86th-minute on a breakaway from Steven Frazao of Port Coquitlam, B.C.

"It was a breakthrough shot from Brett (Norton), I just picked a corner and shot," Frazao said after the game. But it was too little too late as Iran claimed a 2-1 victory.

Canadian head coach Len Vickery was disappointed in the final result. "In the first we played very tentative, and that`s a result of our previous two tough games, but we were fortunate enough to give a good account of ourselves in the end."

"We were down to 10 men, but we scored one, and we could have scored again. From an effort point of view it was quite outstanding."

Canada placed 4th in their pool and will be playing South Africa at Gimcheon Main Stadium on Tuesday, August 24th.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jayway, does Kenny Nutt have a tattoo on his left arm? The squad numbers that the CIS gave me were all wrong, so I had little idea as to who was who yesterday at the match.


From official Universiade website:

Men's result - http://www.universiade-daegu.org/eng/games/fb/FFBResult.asp?gm_id=FBM01&gm_fg=MPL000&gm_de_fg1=MPLD00&gm_de_fg2=22

Canada's next matches:

Men - August 26, 13:30 vs. Russia

Women - August 26, 16:30 vs. Russia

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...