What do you think of this 18 year old?

Chuck

I posted this on the other forum but realized that it is probably more appropriate here. This kid is exciting. I know it was only one game, against Bolton, but he was the talk of the game and did perform in the 30 minutes he played. You have to perform against both the good teams and bad teams. And for the good team, he was the star of the game a couple of weeks ago when he was still with Sporting Lisbon and they beat MANU (good team) 3-1.

Anyway, here is what I posted on the other forum:

Beckham's replacement at #7:

For the international fan, the next big superstar was a debutant today for MANU. The new Ronaldo (Cristiano). Mark my words, he just turned 18 this year (grade 12 age!!!)and I have followed him since he started playing last year for Sporting Lisbon at 17.

In case you missed the game on Sportsnet here is a link to a snippet of action.

(I don't know why the other link didn't work, but here is a link to the Soccernet message board that had the link. Check the second (middle) link.)

http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/soccernet/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=manutd&id=215187&move=nextThread

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Realy bad hair.

Matthew will not be pleased.

Can I ask, why I'm getting a rep for being obsessive about hair? I acknowledge I have an irational, supersticious desire for DeRo to grow his out again, but that's just because he got hurt twice (the only two major injuries in his life) after he lost the dreds.

I actually like Cris Ronaldo's hair. It looks like what Amado's in Vancouver would call a 'high-and-tight", but with a weird braid to give off a 1992 vibe. Could he be kick-starting 90s retro? Should I stop posting at 2 a.m.?

In any event, great skill by the young'un. If he does that week in and week out, he'll be a sensation, but I suspect his impact will level off as the season goes on.

cheers,

matthew

Born in Canada. Live in Canada. Die in Canada.

Did anybody think that Li Tie looked out of his depth in yesterday's Arsenal vs. Everton match? It looks like he would be better suited to the English 2nd or 3rd Division, but one suspects has made the Everton squad because of the Chinese sponsorship that is indicated on the Everton jersey (first time I've seen that in the EPL).

PS. Did I ever tell people on the board about Matthew's reaction to seeing De Rosario's haircut at the National team's hotel in Edinburgh last October? :)

And if we can still believe in tomorrow, yesterday will disappear soon enough - IQ, The Wake (1985)

Yeah I thought Li Tie was going to the presence in the middle of the park Everton needed. Boy was I wrong. I was a little surprised he didn't start, but it's tough to argue with Moyes decision now.

I don't even remember my reaction to seeing DeRo's hair. So enlighten us Gian-Luca.

cheers,

matthew gourlie

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Realy bad hair.

Matthew will not be pleased.

"Minority of one"

It looked like he had straw poking out of his hair, like he had just gotten up from rolling around in the hay with Victoria Beckham. "Woody, I am goint to steal yourrrr girrrrlfrrriend!!!" Whoa, I need to get off the crack pipe... ;)

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

It looked like he had straw poking out of his hair

That's what I thought! I didn't watch the whole game, I just fast-forwarded my tape and stopped it every 10 minutes or so hoping that Bolton would be doing something. The first time I saw Ronaldo he was getting up from the ground and I thought he had grass in his hair. Then as the game went on and it was still there I realized it was his hair!

I'm not sure why such a big deal is being made of this guy. I mean, I'm sure he's good, but people are getting excited over all those fancy moves even though he hasn't actually done anything yet. Fine, the moves look good, I like them too, but you see them in the Brazilian league all the time. Is it that EPL fans are just not used to seeing this stuff? Maybe it's time they look around a bit more.

quote:"Woody, I am goint to steal yourrrr girrrrlfrrriend!!!"
Haha, oh man, that guy was hilarious! I saw a few episodes with him a few weeks ago for the first time in a long time and had forgotten how funny he was.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I watched the game in a pub with about 300 Man U. fans and the whole place oooo'd and ahhhh'd whenever Ronaldo made one of his half-decent moves. I was just thinking, "God. You guys really should watch some other leagues from time to time! Either that or I should start drinking the same beer as you!" Ronaldo is good but he's no Robinho. Could you imagine how much more annoying the Man U. fans would be if Ronaldinho had signed for them??

Andrew, New York City

quote:Originally posted by matthew

I don't even remember my reaction to seeing DeRo's hair. So enlighten us Gian-Luca.

cheers,

matthew gourlie

I don't think I could do the story justice on-line. However, a Canadian player walked into the hotel lobby to speak to reception. You asked if the player was Stalteri, I said "That's De Rosario". Upon which you bellowed "DWAYNE! You cut your hair!?!?" (okay, I don't know if you actually said that many exclamation & question marks in your sentence, but it sounded like that. :D )

Dwayne politely nodded in agreement and smiled. He is a class guy. [8D]

And if we can still believe in tomorrow, yesterday will disappear soon enough - IQ, The Wake (1985)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I don't think I could do the story justice on-line. However, a Canadian player walked into the hotel lobby to speak to reception. You asked if the player was Stalteri, I said "That's De Rosario". Upon which you bellowed "DWAYNE! You cut your hair!?!?" (okay, I don't know if you actually said that many exclamation & question marks in your sentence, but it sounded like that. :D )

I remember asking if it was Stalteri, becuase I remember thinking, that doesn't really look like Stalteri, but if it isn't Stalteri, who is that? It took a second to register. I don't remember hollering at him, but yes Dwayne is a class guy all the way.

I was still trying to figure out who our 'mystery' call up was as the team came out of their meeting (it was Atiba Hutchinson, but for reasons that are too hard to explain we were looking for the call up to have corn rows) that seeing DeRo shorn was a shocker.

cheers,

matthew

Archived