Jump to content

League Cup Roundup


Recommended Posts

Good day for Hume, Rogers they played and their teams advanced.

Peschisolido started on the bench for Schef. Utd. win. I am not sure if he played.

Not so good day for Bent…he played but Plymouth lost.

De Vos did not play…but Wigan won.

Brennan did not play…and Nowich lost.

Dunfield did not play…and Bury lost.

Godfrey did not play for Watford…. Watford won.


Tranmere 1-0 Bury

Have your say on the 606 pages

Tranmere substitute Eugene Dadi gave his team a dramatic win over Bury in a thrilling Carling Cup first-round tie.

With the end of normal time looming Dadi headed home a spectacular winner for the Merseysiders from an Iain Hume cross.

Bury were not without their chances, with John Achterberg making terrific first-half saves to deny Lee Unsworth and Chris Porter.

Later in the match Achterberg again had to be at his best when tipping over a David Nugent effort and then turned aside an overhead kick by Duxbury.

Bury goalkeeper Glyn Garner also made good first-half saves to deny Simon Haworth and Ryan Taylor.


Tranmere: Achterberg, Connelly, Allen, Sharps, Roberts, Taylor, Mellon, Jones, Nicholson, Haworth, Hume.

Subs: Gray, Howarth, Dadi, Navarro, Hay.

Bury: Garner, Unsworth, Swailes, Strong, Woodthorpe, Connell, Duxbury, Clegg, Singh, Porter, Nugent. Subs: O'Neill, Preece, Barrass, Seddon, Kennedy.

Referee: Mark Clattenburg (Co Durham).


Wycombe 2-0 Wimbledon

Have your say on the 606 pages

Richard Harris' brace ensured Wycombe got a deserved win over First Division Wimbledon at the Causeway Stadium.

The Chairboys shook Wimbledon early on when Harris scored his first of the game after three minutes.

A Danny Senda cross found Chris Vinnicombe, whose centre was headed home by the unmarked Harris from eight yards.

The Dons responded well and on 10 minutes a 20-yard Adam Nowland drive forced a fine save from Steve Williams.

Wimbledon goalkeeper Steven Banks made two impressive saves at the start of the second half, diving low at Harris' feet and then denying Michael Simpson.

But he was powerless to stop Harris' second - a bullet header from Jermaine McSporran's cross on 57 minutes.

Wimbledon had a chance to respond immediately, but Michael Gordon shot over from close range.


Wycombe: Williams, Senda, Johnson, Rogers, Vinnicombe, Currie, Simpson, Mapes, McSporran, Harris, Patterson. Subs: Bulman, Roberts, Oliver, Harding, Talia.

Wimbledon: Banks, Hawkins, Chorley, Leigertwood, Darlington, Holloway, Tapp, Reo-Coker, Nowland, Gordon, Agyemang. Subs: Holdsworth, Heald, Jarrett, Gier, Kamara.


Macclesfield 1-2 Sheff Utd

Sheffield United needed a late penalty to squeeze past Macclesfield in the first round of the Carling Cup.

Last season's cup fighters were given a taste of their own medicine by the Moss Rose outfit and went through courtesy of an 88th minute spot-kick from Jack Lester.

Macclesfield could have been four up inside 15 minutes with John Miles and Martin Carruthers missing one-on-one chances against goalkeeper Paddy Kenny.

Ex-Liverpool youngster Miles also hit the woodwork from long range twice in two minutes.

The First Division side made them pay on 35 minutes when Michael Tonge slipped the ball through to Lester who stabbed it past on-loan keeper Boaz Myhill.

A pulsating second half was set up when Miles lobbed the defence to set free Danny Whittaker who scored his first goal of the season with a clinical strike to the far corner.

But it was Lester who had the final say, keping a cool head to slot home the penalty awarded after Nick Mongomery was clipped by Danny Adams.


Colchester 2-1 Plymouth

Have your say on the 606 pages

Frenchman Thomas Pinault struck the winner to send Colchester into the Carling Cup second round at Plymouth's expense at Layer Road.

Craig Fagan outpaced the Pilgrims defence to flick the ball over the advancing Romain Larrieu to give the Us a 22nd-minute lead.

But Micky Evans swooped to level just two minutes later when he met a David Worrell cross to power a close-range header past Simon Brown.

Argyle were on top when Kem Izzet's pinpoint pass found the feet of Pinault and he let fly with a powerful effort from the edge of the box which flew past Larrieu five minutes before the break.


Colchester: Brown, Stockley, Myers, Fitzgerald, Alan White, Duguid, Pinault, Izzet, Keith, McGleish, Fagan.

Subs: McKinney, Vine, Bowry, Hadland, Baldwin.

Plymouth: Larrieu, Worrell, Gilbert, Coughlan, Aljofree, Bent, Adams, Norris, Capaldi, Evans, Keith.

Subs: Friio, Wotton, Stonebridge, Lowndes, McCormick.

Referee: Joe Ross (London).

"A pretty move, for the love of God."

Eduardo Galeano

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...