Voyageurs Cup Match 10 - Toronto vs. Vancouver [R]

DJT

<center>2003 Voyageurs Cup

Match 10Toronto Lynx vs. Vancouver WhitecapsFriday, August 8, 2003 - 7:30 PM EDT

Centennial Park Stadium, Toronto

Periodic text updates: Whitecaps Scoreboard

(Link might not work until kickoff. If it still doesn't work after kickoff then go to the Whitecaps site to find the appropriate link.)</center>

Scenarios

The Voyageurs Cup cannot be clinched in this match. However:

[*]If Toronto defeats Vancouver then they will have control, because then a win by Toronto over Calgary in Match 11 on August 29 would win the Voyageurs Cup for Toronto (regardless of what Montreal does against Calgary in Match 12 on August 31)

[*]If Toronto draws or loses to Vancouver then Montreal will have control, because then a win by Montreal over Calgary in Match 12 on August 31 would clinch the Voyageurs Cup for Montreal (regardless of what Toronto does against Calgary in Match 11 on August 29)

Match Previews

[*]Voyageurs Cup media release

[*]MatchNight

[*]Toronto Lynx

We want to win the Voyageurs Cup and our fate is in our own hands with home games left against Vancouver and Calgary, who we have already beaten. However, this Friday’s game will be very difficult. Vancouver is a good team and adding a player like Carlo Corazzin makes them even stronger. --- Peter Pinizzotto

Voyageurs Cup

Result of the A-League game of Friday August 8th, 2003 between Toronto Lynx and Vancouver Whitecaps played at Centennial Stadium at 7:30pm.

57 min...Whitecaps Carlo Corazzin GOAL...Whitecaps Jason Jordan crosses into Lynx box from left and ball is headed out by leaping defender Tyler Hughes but Corazzin rebounds from 10 yards over Lynx goalie Theo Zagar (who is about 5 yards off his line) and into net. Zagar had come out to catch the cross but Hughes unexpectedly leapt to play the ball first.

Final Score:.......Toronto Lynx........0...............Vancouver Whitecaps...........1............

Attendance was announced as 2364 on this hot humid evening. The seats gradually filled in as fans made their way through traffic to get to Etobicoke. Fans were allowed to bring their own garden chairs and set up on the east side hill. The playing field was badly chewed up from overuse.

I realized the Lynx didn't have much of a chance to win this game when I saw they only had three substitutes and only two were outfield players, one never having played for the Lynx before. Striker Sebastian Barclay and defender Adrian Serioux were listed as suspended in the program. The Whitecaps had to do without Nick Dasovic for the same reason. Four other Lynx outfielders are injured.

The Lynx program admitted the team did realize that they had a chance to take over first place in the Voyageurs Cup competition among Canadian teams with the Montreal Impact only tieing the Whitecaps earlier in the week. Still without the substitutes Nikki Vignjevic and Ryan Lucas passed their 'best before' dates by the 60 minute mark. Lucas needed 13 shots to score one goal in the last game so that certainly wasn't going to happen tonight. Newcomers Paul Lewis and Jonathan Westmaas (who, making his debut, impressed the Ultras in his twenty minutes).

Whitecaps goalie Mike Franks earned the shutout without really having much to do. His defenders blocked and prevented a lot of shots and were helped by Lynx forwards making one too many passes around the box. Lynx goalie Theo Zagar didn't get that much action neither except at 14 minutes when while already fallen after making a save the rebound was kicked into his face and in first half injury time when he dived to the left post to grab a shot tipped by a Whitecaps player.

Tonight's theme was "East Meets West" night and the referee was unknown to me Tiger Liu who didn't give the Lynx any favours. The entertainment was in honour of the growing Asian communities in the Greater Toronto area and it actually looked like this promotion made an impact.

Tonight's loss just about gifts the Voyageurs' Cup to the Impact with both teams only having a game against Calgary Storm. I don't know how much effort the Lynx made in trying to get some CPSL players to fill their roster for this one game but I've heard before that the teams are not cooperative. The Whitecaps didn't impress me this year. I've seen better editions of Vancouver franchises that could have won tonight's game 4-0.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Result of the A-League game of Friday August 8th, 2003 between Toronto Lynx and Vancouver Whitecaps played at Centennial Stadium at 7:30pm.

57 min...Whitecaps Carlo Corazzin GOAL...Whitecaps Jason Jordan crosses into Lynx box from left and ball is headed out by leaping defender Tyler Hughes but Corazzin rebounds from 10 yards over Lynx goalie Theo Zagar (who is about 5 yards off his line) and into net. Zagar had come out to catch the cross but Hughes unexpectedly leapt to play the ball first.

Final Score:.......Toronto Lynx........0...............Vancouver Whitecaps...........1............

Attendance was announced as 2364 on this hot humid evening. The seats gradually filled in as fans made their way through traffic to get to Etobicoke. Fans were allowed to bring their own garden chairs and set up on the east side hill. The playing field was badly chewed up from overuse.

I realized the Lynx didn't have much of a chance to win this game when I saw they only had three substitutes and only two were outfield players, one never having played for the Lynx before. Striker Sebastian Barclay and defender Adrian Serioux were listed as suspended in the program. The Whitecaps had to do without Nick Dasovic for the same reason. Four other Lynx outfielders are injured.

The Lynx program admitted the team did realize that they had a chance to take over first place in the Voyageurs Cup competition among Canadian teams with the Montreal Impact only tieing the Whitecaps earlier in the week. Still without the substitutes Nikki Vignjevic and Ryan Lucas passed their 'best before' dates by the 60 minute mark. Lucas needed 13 shots to score one goal in the last game so that certainly wasn't going to happen tonight. Newcomers Paul Lewis and Jonathan Westmaas (who, making his debut, impressed the Ultras in his twenty minutes).

Whitecaps goalie Mike Franks earned the shutout without really having much to do. His defenders blocked and prevented a lot of shots and were helped by Lynx forwards making one too many passes around the box. Lynx goalie Theo Zagar didn't get that much action neither except at 14 minutes when while already fallen after making a save the rebound was kicked into his face and in first half injury time when he dived to the left post to grab a shot tipped by a Whitecaps player.

Tonight's theme was "East Meets West" night and the referee was unknown to me Tiger Liu who didn't give the Lynx any favours. The entertainment was in honour of the growing Asian communities in the Greater Toronto area and it actually looked like this promotion made an impact.

Tonight's loss just about gifts the Voyageurs' Cup to the Impact with both teams only having a game against Calgary Storm. I don't know how much effort the Lynx made in trying to get some CPSL players to fill their roster for this one game but I've heard before that the teams are not cooperative. The Whitecaps didn't impress me this year. I've seen better editions of Vancouver franchises that could have won tonight's game 4-0.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Jonathan Westmas has skills to spare.

Impressive pace, good touch, strong too (according to Pinnizotto).

Look out for this kid next year, he will star for the Lynx.

"Winning is most important. Everything is a consequence of that."

-Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)

This post by dbailey62</u>

What a horrible, horrible game. Honestly, not having seen Vancouver play this year, I expected an impressive showing from the visitors but it didn't happen.

Carlo scored on a nice little header that looped over Zagar during a goal crease scramble. It was a nice touch from our former international but he did look out of shape, perhaps even a touch "paunchy".

The Lynx missed Robbie and Joe but I thought that Nikki had his moments and Blicharski had a good second half. Theo made a couple of good saves in the first half.

The Lynx barely threatened the Vancouver goal.

Here is the Lynx press release. Note the announced attendance. As the grandstand was perhaps 60% full, this figure is very optimistic.

---------------------------------------

LYNX DROP TIGHT BATTLE TO WHITECAPS!

VANCOUVER EXTENDS UNBEATEN STREAK TO 11 GAMES

Date: Friday, August 8, 2003

Venue: Centennial Park Stadium, Etobicoke, Ontario

Attendance: 2,364

Kick off Time: 7:30 PM

Final Score: Vancouver 1 Toronto 0

Match Summary: Coming off a 2-2 tie with the Charlotte Eagles the Toronto Lynx entertained the A-League's hottest team in the Vancouver Whitecaps.

With a crowd of 2,364 on hand on East Meets West Night, a celebration of the growing Asian community in the Greater Toronto Area. Fans were treated to performances by Southern Fists Northern Legs Dragon Dancers, a kung fu demonstration by Chung Wah Kung Fu International System and the Korean Music Centre of Canada during wonderful pregame and halftime entertainment. The Lynx played outstanding defence to keep the Pacific Division-leading Whitecaps scoreless through the first 45 minutes. Vancouver's best chance came in the 14th minute when Canadian International striker, Carlo Corazzin's shot from inside the box was stopped by Keeper Theo Zagar, the rebound found the foot of Jason Jordan but his shot through a crowd went off a defender and right back to Corazzin, his left foot kick was stopped by Zagar. The Lynx were outshot 6-3 in the first half and the match was scoreless at halftime. The Whitecaps dominated both ends of the pitch in the second half and in the 58th minute Corazzin went airbourne and sent a header over keeper Zagar and into the empty net for a 1-nil lead. That was Corazzin's 6th goal in 11 games since joining the club at midseason. Toronto could not mount any sort of attack and despite being outshot just 10-9 they didn't have a quality opportunity in the second half and the Whitecaps lead was never threatened. With the win Vancouver extends their unbeaten streak to an impressive 11 games while Toronto falls to 9-11-4 and miss a glorious opportunity to pick up a valuable 3 points in both the A-League and the Voyageurs Cup standings.The Lynx play their next home game at Centennial Park Stadium Sunday, August 17 for Multicultural Night when the Pittsburgh Riverhounds visit Toronto at 6:00pm.

Highlights:

1st Half

12th min - Nikki Vignjevic with a heel pass to David DiPlacido, his shot from just outside the box handled by Keeper Mike Franks

18th min - Loose ball inside the Toronto box, Carlo Corazzin with a glorious opportunity in tight but stopped by Zagar, the rebound found the foot of Jason Jordan, his shot hit a defender, Corazzin tried to left foot the rebound into the right corner but he was stopped by Zagar

46th min - John Sulentic found Oliver Heald just outside the box, his blast heading for the low left corner was stopped by a diving Zagar

2nd Half

49th min - Off the Nikki Vignjevic corner kick, Tyler Hughes header went just wide of the left corner

58th min - Shot from outside the box went off a Toronto defender and into the air, Carlo Corazzin's leaping header went just over Zagar and into the empty net

89th min - Brian Ashton with a bullet from just outside the box but it was handled easily by Keeper Mike Franks

Final Score: Vancouver 1 Toronto 0

Lineups:

Vancouver: Mike Franks, Chris Franks, Lyall, Piette, Veer (King 69th min), Dailly (Chin 88th min), Heald, Sulentic, Skinner, Corazzin, Jordan (Thompson 74th min)

Toronto: Zagar, Vincello, Veenhof, Mayard, Ashton, DiPlacido, Hughes (Lewis 83rd min), Faria (Westmaas 71st min), Blicharski, Vignjevic, Lucas

Cautions: Van: Tor: Vignjevic

Ejections: None

Shots: Vancouver 10 Toronto 9

Saves: Vancouver 3 Toronto 5

Scorers: Van: Corazzin (58th min)

The Lynx next home game is Sunday, August 17 at 6:00 pm versus the Pittsburgh Riverhounds at Centennial Park Stadium.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

DAVID NUTT, MEDIA RELATIONS

416-251-4625 ext. 30

If the pitch conditions weren't so ****, an actual soccer match may have broken out.

Perhaps teams who don't look after their pitch should be fined next season.

"As nothing in this life that I've been trying

could equal or surpass the art of dying"-George Harrison

Grandstand 60% full? I think that's a fairly conservative estimate. Probably closer to 75%. After all, a fight broke out in the stands between two grown men over seating availability, and that wouldn't have happened if the stadium was barely more than half full. :)

The Lynx are only a shadow of their former selves at the moment, with most of their best players either traded, injured or suspended (about 7 normal starters missing), so their ineffectiveness on the night (especially offensively) was hardly suprising. When Ryan Lucas is your only stiker on the entire roster & you are playing 20-year old defensive-midfielders (ie. Johnathan Westmass) up front late out of pure desparation for fresh legs in attack, you know its unlikely the Lynx are going to score. However, its the playing of & the play of young guys like Nick Blicharski that still makes it worthwhile to come out, even when the team is out & fielding a largely 2nd-string squad. He's been improving, getting more confident on the ball as the season has gone on & last night was his best game so far. He's always looking to get the ball, never gives it away - not only is he talented, but he's a smart player. One to look forward to seeing more of (including for Canada) in the future.

And yes, quite honestly, a fight did break out over access to seating. We couldn't believe it!

And if we can still believe in tomorrow, yesterday will disappear soon enough - IQ, The Wake (1985)

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Blame the City of Toronto. I believe they are responsible for the field. The Lynx can only do so much....

--------------------------------------------------

Sigma do toho!

fotbal.idnes.cz

Yes, the Lynx can only do so much. To start they can harass, badger, and force the City of Toronto to keep the pitch in proper condition. The City of Burnaby is responsible for Swangard stadiums pitch and they keep it immaculate.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Tyler Hughes is 23 apparently, & just a year too old to be eligible for the Canadian Olympic Team.

And if we can still believe in tomorrow, yesterday will disappear soon enough - IQ, The Wake (1985)

Isn't it time that they scrap the age limit on Olympic soccer? Is there any other Olympic sport with an age limit on it's participants?

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Yes, the Lynx can only do so much. To start they can harass, badger, and force the City of Toronto to keep the pitch in proper condition. The City of Burnaby is responsible for Swangard stadiums pitch and they keep it immaculate.

They can harass & badger (& I believe they do) but they can't really do anything to force the City of Toronto to do anything. This is the same city that happily turfed them out of the stadium last year during the civic strike even though they were letting other people use the stadium during the strike.

I'm wracking my brain but I can't think of any small stadiums that aren't owned by the City of Toronto except for York University, the lightless stadium.

Brockton is owned by the Board of Education but that makes it worse.

Hey G-L, from the press box to the north end of the stand, the benches were maybe 40% full. I snuck down onto the track for a low angle view which is why I judged it at 60%.

I heard about one fight where a couple of foul mouthed jerks moved some kids soccer bags (while they were involved in the halftime match)and took their seats and then verbally abused the kids mothers when they tried to get the seats back. Is that the incident you saw?

db

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

I'm wracking my brain but I can't think of any small stadiums that aren't owned by the City of Toronto except for York University, the lightless stadium.

Brockton is owned by the Board of Education but that makes it worse.

db

I was thinking that there may be a stadium with a pitch that is in better condition, not ones that weren't owned by the city of Toronto.

The only other stadium that could possibly used is Birchmount and while its field might be a bit better, the rest of the facility is inadequate.

Washrooms are worse, there are only two dressing rooms and the press box is nothing more than a shack.

Not only does Toronto not have a decent medium sized stadium, it does not have a decent small stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The Lynx are only a shadow of their former selves at the moment, with most of their best players either traded, injured or suspended (about 7 normal starters missing)

I think the Lynx need a reserve team. This excuse of missing players comes up over and over again (not that it's not a valid excuse). If CPSL clubs can run reserve teams, why can't the Lynx? If the Lynx don't have the resources to set one up in the CPSL, then surely they could set one up in one of Ontario's amateur leagues (which is what the CPSL clubs do)? Essentially this would be like having an agreement with the CPSL clubs to call up their players when the Lynx are a bit short. Understandably the CPSL clubs don't want to let their players go, so by having their own team from which to take players the Lynx at least wouldn't have to worry about a short bench, even if the quality is still missing.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Isn't it time that they scrap the age limit on Olympic soccer? Is there any other Olympic sport with an age limit on it's participants?

There probably is no other Olympic sport with an age limit, but then again there is no other Olympic sport that has another global tournament that is actually more important than the Olympics are. FIFA will not allow Olympic soccer to be open age because then it will just become a second World Cup and they don't want such a tournament to compete with the real World Cup. Personally I'm fine with things the way they are (actually, if anything I wouldn't mind scrapping Olympic (men's) soccer completely, but obviously it is too important to the IOC).

Washrooms are worse, there are only two dressing rooms and the press box is nothing more than a shack.

Who uses the press box, anyway? It's not as if there's really any press in there, right? It should be renamed!

Also, how does the field at Esther Shiner compare to these other fields? I don't know about Birchmount but I thought that Esther Shiner was better than Centennial at the beginning of the season (though now that they have both been over-used this may no longer be the case). I'm not suggesting that Esther Shiner is suitable for the Lynx (due to a lack of amenities for a few thousand fans), but I'm just wondering about the field.

I heard about one fight where a couple of foul mouthed jerks moved some kids soccer bags (while they were involved in the halftime match)and took their seats and then verbally abused the kids mothers when they tried to get the seats back. Is that the incident you saw?

db

Yes, that's the incident. It caused quite a commotion, by Centennial standards, though probably not as much as the Fashanu incident all those years ago. :)

Archived