Canadians in Action in Germany

Canuck Oranje

I'm hoping Julian will be our offensive midfield salvation.

Nice to see him achieve the starting spot he was seeking, making his absence from the Gold Cup (& our subsequent early exit from it) a little easier to swallow.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

quote:Originally posted by Nadim

what position did they play?

Julian de Guzman at left back for Hannover 96.

Paul Stalteri at right back for Bremen.

Pardon the banana cream 3!

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Yes, DeGuzman must play in the role of offensive creator. We haven't got anyone else with his abilities in the middle.

Be carefull what you say there.....Some might call that whinning :D

BTW I agree.....Its such a huge plus to have players in the big four leagues but its equally important that they develop in their roles that they play for our MNT and that the clubs recognize their skills in the same way that our national program does. And your right.. we have a shortage of players who have the skills that Deguzman brings and thats why he is important. left backs, right backs, wingers, outside MF players etc don't touch the ball as often as players in central roles ( play the middle of the park).

If clubs 'had' to play players where Holger puts them, we'd have NOONE playing abroad with a decent club. Get a grip. Oops, sorry. I'm off base there. Lars would probably remain between the pipes with his club side and the national team.

Stalteri is NOT a striker, but that Holger plays him half the time. If Ralf Ragnick thinks Julian de Guzman is the best of his 30-odd players to play at left back, starting in the Bundesliga opener, I'm quite happy with that. Julian is a gifted offensive player; I'm not arguing that, but if he wants a very successful pro career, he has to take his chance when he gets it and run with it.

And quit yer whining. :)

Pardon the banana cream 3!

well, Roberto Carlos is a gifted player too that happens to play fullback..

If Julian plays left back fulltime with Hannover and Stalteri the right with Bremen.. . I wonder if we should let them play in those positions for WCQ anyway.. Looks Nsaliwa will be playing defensive right midfield (in a 3-5-2).

We may not look pretty doing it but we should be able to be the best defensive team in Concacaf. Still have Brennan at left midfield (at Norwich) too

I am still believer in playing players where they play at the club level, especially if there is little prep time. Just look at the Cuba game a few mistakes in defence can make a team look real bad.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Yes, DeGuzman must play in the role of offensive creator. We haven't got anyone else with his abilities in the middle.

Put me down as another one who strongly agrees with this sentiment.

On another note, Klukowski seems to still be injured as he did not play for La Louviere against Brugge in the Belgian SuperCup Final yesterday. The teams tied 1-1, Brugge winning on penalties.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

On another note, Klukowski seems to still be injured as he did not play for La Louviere against Brugge in the Belgian SuperCup Final yesterday. The teams tied 1-1, Brugge winning on penalties.

Archived