WCQs in Toronto?

Cheeta

Been thinking during the on going discussions about the CSA's stadium proposal that Toronto is pretty much screwed out of trying to host any of the up coming WCQ matchs. And Geezus, there might be quit a lot of dates to go around.

Unless there's some stadium in Toronto which could get FIFA aproval with say the addition of temporary seating, it'll be travelling again for the Toronto Voyageurs if they're keen on supporting the National Team onto Germany 2006.

And if FieldTurf is going to be an issue which our CONCACAF neighbours can use there's an alltogether shortage of eastern stadiums with the seating capacity the newly confident CSA is demanding.

Even on the left coast, the popular thinking these days from CSA headquarters is that capacity at Swangard isn't up to requirments. At least for later stage qualifying. Allthough Swangard has plenty of room for temp. seating in a pinch.

Edmonton seems to have won the battle for now, as home of the Canadian National Team. The Lion's share of matchs have to be going to Commonwealth.

And you know what, that isn't so bad is it?

As has been said, just a thought.

"Minority of one"

I hope that Winnipeg gets a match or two, like they did in the last round of World Cup Qualifying. The Winnipeg soccer complex, built for the Pan Am Games in 1999, isn't huge (capacity 10,000) but it's apparently a decent facility and the crowds there were very pro-Canadian, with few people supporting the visiting teams. Also, thanks to the miracle of WestJet, Winnipeg is reasonably accessible to us easterners who want to fly out there to support the nats.

As for our FieldTurf facilities in the east (Ottawa and Montreal), we have to wait until FIFA releases the official World Cup qualifying tournament regulations to be sure, but a lot of people seem to think that, in light of the rapidly growing acceptance of FieldTurf in the international community, the new regulations will treat FIFA accredited FieldTurf facilities the same as natural turf facilities. If so, that will give us a nicely balanced roster of potential facilities with two in the west (Edmonton, Winnipeg) and two in the east, so the matches can be spread around fairly.

Obviously, it still makes sense to have the big matches (the ones expected to draw the biggest crowds) in Edmonton, since it's the biggest venue, and I really hope that the CSA takes advantage of to colder climate in the prairies and schedules all of our March/April and October/November home matches in either Edmonton or Winnipeg.

Mike D

Hi,

The University of Victoria is also a possible site. The under 20 and under 17 world cup qualifiers were held there. It seats about 5000, and there is room for portable bleachers. They could probably get 10000 in there, which I think would be better than 10000 showing up in Edmonton and dotting the commonwealth stadium. I have no problem with Winnipeg either.

Paul

Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday - Edith Bunker

Paddy, you won't get less than 30,000 here in Edmonton for a WCQ, I'll guarantee you that. We had those awful friendlies with Iran et al in the 90's, but that was due to awful administration and poor marketing. Things have improved here, and the Canada-Mexico WNT friendly at the end of August (come and I'll buy you a beer!) has, I believe, nearly sold out.

We couldn't have a match in March in Edmonton, though, it'll still be covered in snow, and I don't think there would be approval for a November match, as lows are almost always below zero. April and October in Edmonton would really make the tropicals blanch though, that would be dandy for the Red and White!

When the schedule is released, I think we will see that four games, and the two home games (or one if we get the one group which has only 2 teams) in the first round will have, due to fixture congestion, to be held between mid-February and early April, so Swanguard or University of Victoria will probably have to used for these. These games will be against real minor minnows ( except for maybe St. Kitts ), so the crowds will not be that great. Either that, or we follow proposals from Oz and New Zealand to hold home WCQ's in England :) !

Commonwealth will probably be used for the bulk of the three second round matches in the summer and fall 2004, and the quality of the oppositon should ensure great crowds. Maybe one of those should go to Hamilton, the Laval stadium in Quebec City (do they have natural grass?), or some other place in the East.

If we make the hexagonal in 2005, we will have to play at least one of those matches (Feb-March ) on the west coast, maybe two. Can't see Commonwealth not getting the share of these unless CSA creates a miracle in TO (with natural grass). If we make 4th place, I'd love to see the half-spot home tie (against 5th Asia or South America) here in mid-November, 2005, but it won't happen- that would have to be on the West Coast (imagine how hard it would be to get tickets for that!!!!).

No way for Frank Clair or Montreal FieldTurfees getting a WCQ, as much as it may benefit us and as much as the fans there are great. FIFA and CONCACAF may approve in principle, but there would be such a stink from the visiting countries that it would not be allowed in the real world.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

We couldn't have a match in March in Edmonton, though, it'll still be covered in snow, and I don't think there would be approval for a November match, as lows are almost always below zero.

Edmonton in November couldn't be any worse than, say, St. John's Newfoundland in Nov....

I think we should push for that Costa Rica hex match in November, in Edmonton -- does Yellowknife have a stadium?

Anyway...If this Saint John NB u-23 qualifier goes over well, I think we would be remiss to leave the right coast out of the mix. I guarantee you the Maritimers would be decidedly pro-Canadian -- put enough Alpine in them and they will be decidedly rowdy pro-Canadian.

I HATE the fact I had to sign up for this forum. HATE. HATE. HATE.

quote:

No way for Frank Clair or Montreal FieldTurfees getting a WCQ, as much as it may benefit us and as much as the fans there are great. FIFA and CONCACAF may approve in principle, but there would be such a stink from the visiting countries that it would not be allowed in the real world.

This is probably incorrect. The word I've heard from multiple sources inside and outside the OSA is that Ottawa is all but guaranteed at least one WCQ match. The only reason I'm still saying "probably" is because FIFA hasn't released the new regulations yet.

You have to understand how FIFA works - any "stink" that's being made about playing WCQ matches on FieldTurf will happen behind closed doors in the Committee that drafts and approves the WCQ regulations. If the regulation change makes it through that Committee, no "stink" raised by El Salvador, St. Kitts or even the US will be able to stop the CSA from having WCQ matches in Ottawa or Montreal if it wants to. (This doesn't mean their coaches won't complain and blame the FieldTurf if they lose to us on it, but that won't persuade anybody.)

Keep in mind also that it's not just Canada that wants to have its WCQ matches on FieldTurf - many African FAs as well as many of the powerful (within FIFA) Middle Eastern FAs want FieldTurf approved for WCQ. Africa wants it, Asia wants it and UEFA is split on it, so the regulation change has a good chance of succeeding.

Mike D

Caught bits and peices of the Bomber game from McGill last night and I really liked the look of the pitch, plastic or no. Those pellet clouds kinda suck though. Get the same thing in our Stadium. Wonder if that'll ever settle down?

Did think though that it had been reported that the lines wouldn't be as bright as would normaly be the case to allow for a better "paint over". Looked pretty bloody bright to me.

I hope the regulations can be met.

"Minority of one"

I say if any team raises a stink over the field conditions in Montreal or Ottawa, we raise a stink about the air quality conditions at Azteca that the Mexican team have been able to get away with for the past 50-odd years.

Deal? :)

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Hi,

Haven't mastered the quote thing yet, but this is in reply to beachesl promising 30,000 for a men's WCQ.

To this point I think the second highest men's gate (after the Brazil friendly) was the 2-0 loss to T&T. I believe the attendance was 27,000, and that was at the height of the MNT's post GC success. Not to discount what you said, as I do not live in Edmonton, but I cannot see the MNT attracting 30,000 min. I have no problem with the qualifiers being in Edmonton as long as a reasonable crowd shows up.

Paul

Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday - Edith Bunker

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Haven't mastered the quote thing yet, but this is in reply to beachesl promising 30,000 for a men's WCQ.

To post a reply with a quote just click on the reply button icon_reply_topic.gif on the post that you want to reply to.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Plus, Fleldturf would still be an improvement over some of the fields Canada has had to play on in Central America and the Caribbean in the past.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I say if any team raises a stink over the field conditions in Montreal or Ottawa, we raise a stink about the air quality conditions at Azteca that the Mexican team have been able to get away with for the past 50-odd years.

Deal? :)

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Media Guy wrote in part:

quote:...the Maritimers would be decidedly pro-Canadian -- put enough Alpine in them and they will be decidedly rowdy pro-Canadian.

Alpine? Now there is a nausea inducing reminder of three years spent in Halifax...what a terrible brew...<smile>

Bob Mac

Edmonton

The Laval University field is turf like the CEPSUM in U de Montreal.

The problem with having a WCQ held in Quebec City or MTL is the lack of interest in our men's national team in the Province. For different reasons(no quebekers on the team except Nevio and the lack of canadian nationalism in the Provine) i feel like the crowd wouldn't be that great in Quebec. But it would be great to have a friendly game in Quebec City just to see how the people react, and move on from then.

quote:

Media Guy wrote in part:

the Maritimers would be decidedly pro-Canadian -- put enough Alpine in them and they will be decidedly rowdy pro-Canadian.

Alpine? Now there is a nausea inducing reminder of three years spent in Halifax...what a terrible brew...<smile>

You won't get an argument from me there. Alpine's advertising campaign is "you have to live here to get it" -- I lived there, didn't 'get' it.

Terrible stuff.

Now Keiths.....

The idiot is completely sure of the rightness of his argument while the intelligent person is riddled with doubt.

How about Richardson Stadium in Kingston at Queens U. It's the only 10,000+ natural grass facility in the East. I was in Kingston the other day and I checked it out, and I admit it makes the old Varsity look like Wembley, but it's really not that bad. It's got typical bleacher seating which one of the workers told me could hold up to 12,000 people. The pitch looked half decent. When I visited the grass was long, but with a fresh cut and some good maintenance it would be just as good as any other Canadian soccer pitch.

I know Kingston isn't a soccer mecca, but it's within three hours of Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa, and i'm sure Kingston would support a match no problem. I have no doubt that a Men's NT game would easily draw 12,000. Another plus is that our players won't have to fly the extra 4-5 hours from Europe to get out West. Just pop into Toronto or Ottawa and you're not far at all. Best of all we don't have to listen to anyone whine about FieldTurf. As a Torontonian it's my only hope for the next while. [^]

Just an idea,

Max

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

We couldn't have a match in March in Edmonton, though, it'll still be covered in snow, and I don't think there would be approval for a November match, as lows are almost always below zero. April and October in Edmonton would really make the tropicals blanch though, that would be dandy for the Red and White!

Didn't the US make Mexico play a WCQ on a February evening in Columbus, Ohio the last time around? That wouldn't be any better weather than a afternoon game in Edmonton in March.

Archived