Hamilton Thunder set in joining A-League 2004

It now appears that Rocco Lofranco has been named as the team's new CEO for the transition to the A-League. Thunder are all set to go into the A-League next year even before Ottawa Wizards who were expected to join the A-League by 2005 before Hamilton. This has caught me by surprise. I always expected Ottawa to be part of the A-League even before Hamilton. Wow!!!!! What's going-on here...

Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Three coaches resign from Hamilton Thunder

Owner appoints Markovic as head coach

By Josh Brown

Special to The Spectator

Hamilton Thunder coach Duncan Wilde resigned from his post after meeting team owner Italo Ferrari on Saturday to discuss the club's future.

Wilde leaves the second-year Canadian Professional Soccer League franchise atop the western conference with a 4-0-3 record.

"I'm very disappointed to leave the Hamilton Thunder," he said.

"Our views are in no way compatible. The time is right for me to leave with the team being in such a strong position."

Assistant coaches Billy Steele and Ammar Awad also resigned. Goalie and defensive coach Bosko Borjan will remain with the club.

Ferrari has already appointed Ivan Markovic as Wilde's replacement.

The Croatian has coached and managed clubs across Europe and will be on the sidelines for the Thunder's next game in London Friday night.

"There was no falling out," Ferrari said of Wilde's departure.

"We're still friends and may work together. The team is going in a different direction and it was just a friendly departure."

The Thunder recruited Wilde last winter to help mould the team into a top contender. The former Manchester United player helped lure talented strikers from around the world during the off-season and transformed the club into one of the top franchises in the CPSL.

But Thunder management hope this season is just a prelude to bigger and better things.

The club already has a 'gentleman's agreement' to join the country's top soccer circuit -- the North American A-League -- next season. Hamilton would join Calgary, Toronto and Montreal as the Canadian franchises in the 19-team league.

And with that in mind, Ferrari brought in Markovic and four Croatian players last weekend to help stabilize the club.

Former Ontario soccer commissioner Rocco Lofranco was also named as the team's new CEO.

Ferrari sees Markovic and Lofranco's deep experiences in the soccer world as essential in making the transition to the A-League.

He added that should the Thunder join the stronger league next season, he wanted the team to have an immediate impact.

"I want to make sure that we have as much technical help as possible so we don't slip and fall," said Ferrari. "Markovic is here to finish the project and to bring his experience of managing pro teams in Europe. I think it's an important element I want to bring to the team."

Wilde refused to comment on the club's new additions but it's clear that the increase in decision makers was an issue.

For now Wilde will concentrate on the summer camps at his Premier Soccer Academy.

But don't be surprised to see him back coaching in the CPSL as he's already been approached with a couple offers.

Thunder players were taken aback when told about Wilde's resignation on Sunday. They say Wilde was a determined coach who got along well with the entire squad.

"I think it's a surprise to everybody that he left and everyone is kind of disappointed as well," said captain Sergio De Luca.

"We're a bit worried because our coaching staff was a big part of keeping the team chemistry together.

"Midway through the season when you are faced with something like this it's very difficult. But this is soccer. Coaches come and go. Everyone still has a job to do."

Markovic ran the Thunder through a practice Sunday to get to know the club. Players said they were impressed by his vast experience in the game.

"From what I've seen so far in the training session he seems to know a lot about the sport," De Luca said. "I think he will be quite an asset to the team."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just called the head office of the Hamilton Thunder. Spoke to a person there. She told me that the club is also looking into the option of reviving the old CSL name: THE HAMILTON STEELERS. The club is looking into this option because the Minnesota Thunder are already entitled to this name. Plus there is the nostalgia of reviving the name STEELERS because of marketing reasons and the splendid/signifance history track record the name holds.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Ferrari has done nothing to prove that he can run a CPSL team, never mind an A-League team.

What really surprises me from this whole scenario is how the local press in Hamilton made the announcement. Many of us have never expected that Hamilton Thunder would so suddenly make unofficial announcement of joining the A-League. The real team that really stood a much better chance was Ottawa Wizards in 2005. I just hope that the Thunder are not pulling a fast one. Nevertheless, the organization is already building a solid staff that is capable of managing an A-League club. For instance, they hired an experience coach Ivan Markovic and GM/CEO Rocco Lofranco who perhaps knows many of the inside workings of the Ontario soccer scene. On the whole, put that whole experience of individuals all together, and it really tells me that the Thunder are dead serious of going into the A-League. Why doubt the organization????

quote:Originally posted by hello

I dont thinl this is newws to them. In Inside Soccer Magazine they wanted to put another a-league team in canada for 20004 besides edmonton and hamilton was on the top of the list.

www.cpsl.ca

www.hamiltonthunder.com

Who wanted to put another Canadian team in the A-League? The A-League doesn't go looking for clubs so it can't be them. All the A-League does is listen to prospective owners, see what they have to offer and then if they have the money they give them a franchise. There is no "list" for any team to be on the top of. So far I don't think Hamilton has done any of that. If they had then it would be all over the USL official site and a-league.com by now.

"As nothing in this life that I've been trying

could equal or surpass the art of dying"-George Harrison

I just quickly checked the Hamilton Thunder website. Nothing there.

The newspaper article cites a 'gentleman's agreement' and doesn't attribute any quotes on A-League status to the team.

I wouldn't expect anything from the A-League unless the gentleman's agreement becomes an actual agreement.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Has the A-League made this official??? Has the A-League been negotiating secretely with Italo Ferrari??? Why has the A-League not released a press conference reagarding Hamilton's entry???

We want a game...in Canada!

quote:The club already has a 'gentleman's agreement' to join the country's top soccer circuit -- the North American A-League -- next season. Hamilton would join Calgary, Toronto and Montreal as the Canadian franchises in the 19-team league.

Uhmm... now I can understand them maybe not mentioning Edmonton... but, uh.... last I checked Vancouver was still part of both the A-League and Canada. [:o)]

That took the whole article off the rails for me.

http://www.fifaconcacaf.com/strobe_z/Voyageurs.swf

Even the London Free Press are now confirming Hamilton's entry into the A-League for 2004.

THUNDER IN TURMOIL

Kathy Rumleski, Free Press Sports Reporter 2003-07-25 03:57:48

The rotating door in the Hamilton Thunder office indicates something is amiss with the Canadian Professional Soccer League franchise.

Latest to leave the fold were head coach Duncan Wilde and assistants Billy Steele and Ammar Awad. They resigned over an apparent debate about bringing in import players.

Wilde replaced German native Marko Maschke, who was brought to Hamilton from his home country to coach. Maschke resigned before the season ended last year.

Wilde said he was disappointed to leave the team. "Our views are in no way compatible," he said.

Just a couple of days after their resignations, the Thunder issued a news release saying a new coach had been hired, Ivan Markovic, and four players acquired from Croatia.

The club hopes Mario Zupetic, Petar Dajak, Vedran Bacek and Zeljiko Dukic will get the international clearance in time to play tonight against London City.

A new chairperson and CEO is also in place in Hamilton. Rocco Lofranco, former commissioner with the National Soccer League, a forerunner of the CPSL, came on board a couple of weeks ago. It apparently was Lofranco who wanted to bring in the import players.

Interestingly, Lofranco, who has taken control quickly, is not recognized by the league.

CPSL administrator Stan Adamson said his appointment has to be approved by the board.

The Western Conference-leading Thunder are plowing along as if it's a done deal.

Adamson said the league is "quite disappointed" that Wilde resigned.

Adamson said he brought great credentials to the position.

"He was with Manchester United for a brief period (as a player). He was bringing over from time to time Manchester United players. He still has a strong connection to the club," he said.

Markovic also has connections in the soccer world and has proven to be a success as coach. He has coached with the former Yugoslavia's national team and First Division French club Marseilles.

Markovic led the Metros Croatia team of Toronto to the North American club championship in 1976. It's the last time a Canadian soccer team won a North American championship title.

The Thunder have high aspirations and hope Markovic can take them where they want to go.

In the news release, Lofranco said the Thunder want to make "Hamilton a powerhouse in soccer in Canada."

The team had a goal of breaking into the North American A-League by 2005 but Adamson said team officials have stepped that up to 2004.

Whether the loss of Wilde, who the players respected and liked, will have a negative impact remains to be seen.

Markovic will be calling the shots tonight at Cove Road field.

London almost beat Hamilton in their last meeting.

City was up 3-0 before Thunder players came roaring back in the 69th minute to score their first goal. Hamilton went on to win 4-3 with a goal in injury time.

City coach Harry Gauss said his players are prepared to get the revenge they feel they deserve tonight.

City is fifth in the Western Conference at 2-4-2.

There was also another big article in the Hamilton Spec about the new players, coach and their game tonight. They also talk aboutmoving up to the a-league next year a bit. The new players play in croatia 2nd divions, their names are Striker mirio zupetic, med vedran bacek, defender petar dajak and mid zelijko dukic.

www.cpsl.ca

www.hamiltonthunder.com

this is the article.

Thunder 'needs to find cohesion'

New coach debuts with unbeaten team

Josh Brown

Special to The Hamilton Spectator

John Rennison, the Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton Thunder coach Ivan Markovic, left, has brought in four players with experience in Croatia's Division II or III. The new recruits are striker Mario Zupetic, midfielder Vedran Bacek, defender Petar Dajak and midfielder Zelijko Dukic. The first-place Thunder will play in London tonight. Hamilton's record is 4-0-3 in the Canadian Professional Soccer League.

Taking over as coach of a soccer team halfway through the season is never an easy task.

But when the club is undefeated -- such as the Hamilton Thunder -- the job doesn't seem as daunting. The 4-0-3 Thunder players have made good on their pre-season promise of finishing the year with a perfect record.

And new coach Ivan Markovic, who makes his debut on the sidelines tonight in London, intends to keep the Thunder's winning ways intact. In fact, if you can believe it, he thinks the team is underachieving and the best is still to come.

"Potential is important in soccer and this team has potential," said Markovic. "But the players have not been trained properly. They are under trained. They need to find cohesion."

Originally recruited as a consultant, Markovic took over coaching duties from Duncan Wilde who resigned from his job last Saturday. Wilde coached the team to the top of the Canadian Professional Soccer League's western conference but left because of differing philosophies with Thunder management.

Thunder owner Italo Ferrari was worried about not being prepared enough for the team's anticipated jump to the North American A-League next season and wanted to bring in as much experience as possible.

Well, he doesn's have to worry anymore.

Markovic is a national hero in Croatia, kind of like the Scotty Bowman of soccer coaches. He's made a living turning pro teams from across the world -- including clubs in Austria, Croatia and France -- into champions. He's also coached the former Yugoslavian national soccer team.

He even made a stamp in Canada when he took a down-ridden Metro Croatia squad from basement dwellers to North American Soccer League champions back in 1975.

So how did the Hamilton Thunder land this big fish? Well, Markovic loves Canada, loves a challenge and has a passion for coaching. Add a phone call from good friend -- and new Thunder CEO -- Rocco Lofranco and the deal was done. No contract, just a firm handshake.

Markovic will spend the rest of the season in Hamilton and is prepared to stick around next year to help the team's potential battle in the A-League.

"I am an optimist," he said. "I'm not worried. I'm here to win. The team has found great success but they need to continually progress to be champions."

Markovic didn't arrive empty-handed. He brought four young players with him and all have Division II or III experience in Croatia. Barring any visa problems, striker Mario Zupetic, midfielders Vedran Bacek and Zeljko Dukic and defender Petar Dajak should debut in London.

But one thing is clear: Markovic won't play favourites.

"New players will be compared to old players and whoever is better will start," he said. "Competitiveness is a good thing."

All four Croatians arrived in Canada Sunday and are still acclimatizing themselves to the new environment. Dukic, 21, said he came to Hamilton to experience life in North America and to possibly pursue a soccer career in the A-League.

"I'll have to work extra hard," he said through an interpreter.

"I'm coming out of a break. The soccer season ended a month ago in Europe. I'm a little nervous. I've never played on this continent or in front of the fans here."

www.cpsl.ca

www.hamiltonthunder.com

Reporting that Hamilton has a goal of breaking into the A-League in 2004 is not the same as confirming entry into the A-League.

It may be happening, but you're stating it's a fact already when it isn't.

Blair

Even the London Free Press are now confirming Hamilton's entry into the A-League for 2004.

In the news release, Lofranco said the Thunder want to make "Hamilton a powerhouse in soccer in Canada."

The team had a goal of breaking into the North American A-League by 2005 but Adamson said team officials have stepped that up to 2004.

We want a game...in Canada!

quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

Reporting that Hamilton has a goal of breaking into the A-League in 2004 is not the same confirming entry into the A-League.

It may be happening, but you're stating it's a fact already when it isn't.

Blair

The bottom line is that this plan, despite of the views of the non-believers here on Voyageur, is quite likely going ahead for 2004. The CPSL is now confirming that the THUNDER are serious of joining the A-League whether this is official or unofficial. Within a period of 1 week, the THUNDER managed to assemble a team-management that is capable of making that geat leap towards the A-League. What has me puzzled is what kind of business plan the THUNDER presently has in order to make this a reality. Who are their sponsors and what kind of budget are they running in order to succeed in the A-League???

The problem I have with the Hamilton Thunder is an issue of lack of credibility. The organization forced two great coaches to leave and they both left when the Thunder were doing so well in the CPSL. With this being the case, do they really deserve to be in the A-League??? Can we trust the organization??? History does prove that Hamilton pro-soccer has a track history of dumping or back-stabbing coaches from left to right. Let's remember the former owner of the Hamilton Steelers Mario DiBartolomeo. When DiBartolomeo owned the Steelers, he has perhaps fired about 4 coaches and the club still made it to 4 CSL championships. Plus in the 1st 4 years of the league, the Steelers ruled the Eastern Division of the CSL.

The problem I have with the Hamilton Thunder is an issue of lack of credibility. The organization forced two great coaches to leave and they both left when the Thunder were doing so well in the CPSL. With this being the case, do they really deserve to be in the A-League??? Can we trust the organization???

Uhh, Luis, when I doubted the organization in my post above you said "why doubt the organization?". And now you are doubting the organization! Nothing has changed between those posts.

I doubt that Hamilton will be in the A-League next year for several reasons (in random order).

1. There has been no official comment from the A-League and these things take time. Every single report of A-League interest derives from one mouth. All the newspaper, TV, radio and CPSL comments trace back to Ferrari's statement of a "gentleman's agreement". Pretty weak.

2. Calgary and, some say, the Lynx are having money problems so the league will be wary.

3. Toronto Lynx own the Hamilton territory. Will they give it up without a big financial bonanza? Not likely.

4. There is already a team named Thunder in the A-League.

5. The present Thunder continue to have financial issues (still using last years kit with wrong names on the jerseys)

6. Apparently numerous unpaid bills from this year including Bermuda.

7. If we can't afford the CPSL how can we afford the A-League?

8. Too many chiefs... at least 5 different people trying to run the team with no clear direction or message (owners, advisors, managers and coaches).

9. Poor decisions...With all the players in the world looking for teams we fly over four 2nd and 3rd division Croatians who are at very best equal to our present players.

10. Lack of trust and communication (owners brought in the new coach and players without even mentioning it to the past coaches until the guys showed up at practice.

10. Will the money still be there when coach benches or cuts the keeper son? Nobody is making money in the A-League or CPSL so the labour of love will wear thin when the owners son loses his playing time.

I think that they Thunder have a great shot at making the a-league next year or 2005. Thunderguy, some of your resons were pretty bad like there is already a team named the Thunder! could they not rename the team or would they have to fold. Another one about the Lynxs own Hamilton. I bet there are about 10 people from hamilton that go to a lynxs game. It would not hurtthem at all, it would help they by have another rival and that will bring in the fans. There are also so tru things that you said and i think they can be fix. Lets hope they will make it into the A-league by 2004

www.cpsl.ca

www.hamiltonthunder.com

quote:Originally posted by thunderguy

I doubt that Hamilton will be in the A-League next year for several reasons (in random order).

thunderguy, that's an excellent list. Well, like hello said, maybe #4 is a little weak, but I strongly agree with everything else. Essentially these are the types of things I had in mind when I said that they can't make it in the A-League if they can't make it in the CPSL (I was too lazy to write it all out!). There has been one problem after another since they came into the CPSL and this is not going to change over the next year --- in fact, there will be much greater problems in the A-League! Anyway, I don't see that there's any way that the A-League will let them in any time soon (not even they are that stupid). Your #1 is spot on. (BTW, unpaid Bermuda bills? That's very interesting. I thought that trip was really stupid from day one.)

hello, I know you are a Hamilton fan and want to see your team move up, but I really think that in the long run it would be a bad thing for the Thunder, Hamilton, the CPSL, the A-League and Canadian soccer in general. That doesn't mean Hamilton can never get an A-League team, but it needs to take time. At the very least the Thunder need to have a few successful seasons in the CPSL without any problems. (BTW, you may be right that a team in Hamilton would not hurt the Lynx, but there are rules about franchise territories. I'm not sure if Hamilton is covered by the Lynx or not under these rules, but they could be.)

Archived