Hamilton Thunder set in joining A-League 2004

quote:Originally posted by thunderguy

I doubt that Hamilton will be in the A-League next year for several reasons (in random order).

1. There has been no official comment from the A-League and these things take time. Every single report of A-League interest derives from one mouth. All the newspaper, TV, radio and CPSL comments trace back to Ferrari's statement of a "gentleman's agreement". Pretty weak.

Neither side would have made such an agreement if they din't know what they would be getting into.

2. Calgary and, some say, the Lynx are having money problems so the league will be wary.

The league doesn't seem to be concerned with them. More concerned would they be with the Riverhawks of the league.

3. Toronto Lynx own the Hamilton territory. Will they give it up without a big financial bonanza? Not likely.

Hardly any financial incentive there. The A-League paid no attention to that when they gave Syracuse a franchise.

4. There is already a team named Thunder in the A-League.

Change the name to Steelers.

Those are the points I will answer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3. Toronto Lynx own the Hamilton territory. Will they give it up without a big financial bonanza? Not likely.

Have to disagree with you on this one. I doubt many Hamilton residents make the drive to Toronto to watch A-League matches.

If anything, this will start an exciting Ontario derby. Rochester owned the rights to Syracuse territory, but gladly make the nod for the new Syracuse franchise. I doubt Toronto would act any differently.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

whats DJT e-mail. or DJT can you change my name for "hello" so "hamiltonfan"?? plaease e-mail my or just post it when you have do it. Thanks

As you can see, it has now been changed. All the posts by "hello" are now by "hamiltonfan". In order to do this I had to delete the new "hamiltonfan" profile that you created, but you made only 4 posts under that profile, anyway. You had added extra information to the new profile so you have to enter it again for the old profile.

You can get my e-mail by clicking on my name, and then clicking on "Click to send an E-Mail". The same goes for everyone else (unless they chose to hide their address when they signed up).

I've already proposed to the Thunder management the idea of reviving the old CSL name of the Hamilton Steelers, in conditions that the Thunder win the rights to play in the A-League. That's right, the famous club that wore the jersey of the Gold and Black of Hamilton. The Thunder have no choice but to change the name because the Minnesota Thunder of the A-League already hold the rights to the name Thunder.

You could always forward an E-mail to Thunder Media Director Steve Kalotinis (skalotinis@hamiltonthunder.com) with your thoughts and ideas. According to Steve, the club is presently reviewing the name change. Steve has also mentioned to me that the Thunder are working towards formulating a business plan that will be presented to the A-League by the end of August/2003.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

I've already proposed to the Thunder management the idea of reviving the old CSL name of the Hamilton Steelers, in conditions that the Thunder win the rights to play in the A-League. That's right, the famous club that wore the jersey of the Gold and Black of Hamilton.

If that happened then we'd have both the Steelers and the Lynx wearing gold/yellow and black. How stupid would that be? Of course, it's the Lynx' fault for choosing this colour scheme that has never been associated with Toronto but rather always with Toronto's rivals in Hamilton. [V]

quote:If that happened then we'd have both the Steelers and the Lynx wearing gold/yellow and black. How stupid would that be? Of course, it's the Lynx' fault for choosing this colour scheme that has never been associated with Toronto but rather always with Toronto's rivals in Hamilton. [V]

The traditional colours of the city of Hamilton have always been Black and Gold. It's been like that for almost 70 years. It's the Lynx who are involved in a conflict of interest rather than the Hamilton franchise. For this reason I am convince that the time has now come to revive the famous Red machine of the Toronto Blizzard.

I heard CSA Technical Director Kevan Pipe's interview in the Soccer Fanatics Radio Show, aired yesterday. Pipe, in the interview, is acknowledging the strong possibility of a 6th Canadian franchise entering the A-League by 2004. The 5th entry is indeed Edmonton'2004. So this obviously spells good news for Hamilton. Furthermore, Pipe goes on to say that a 7th Canadian entry into the A-League is quite likely to happen by 2005, together with an 8th one by 2007. From this information, I would assume that Ottawa is definitely the 7th entry into the A-League. I wonder which city would represent No# 8th in this scenario??? Could Winnipeg be No# 8th???

Here is the interlink to the interview: http://www.lcc.edu/channelz/archives/pipe.mp3.mp3

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Hey Fan, I've been dying to see the rebirth of the Steelers name. Probably DiBartolomeo will want an insane amount of money (for a name, anyways).

I loved everything that the Steelers were, black/gold, colours of the city, the name, the perseverance of the club (yes, I'm getting a bit of a tear in my eye *sniff*). I have ticket stubs of seeing them pull out a playoff tie with Montreal, games against Kitchener, Toronto, and our achillies' heels, the Vancouver 86ers. Granted, I was 12, but I often walked to the stadium, and thoroughly enjoyed those games.

Luce Ianero, you still rule man! I was going to get seasons tickets this season, but by the time came to make a decision, other things sprung up. Next season, I will have tickets, Thunder, Steelers, or anyone else. I gotta support the locals.

HS

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa WHoa Whoa... There's already a hamilton, professional football team?!?! I was getting all excited for the A-League because I thought it and MLS([}:)]) were the only pro leagues. Where and when are these games? Also, I would not like the team name to be the Steelers for a few reasons: It's already a name for at least one team in virtually every sport; Hamilton's industry, as I'm sure you know, is quickly moving away from steel, so the name will be outdated soon; and it brings a bad image to the city(ie. Polution, all industrial, etc.).

Whoa WHoa Whoa... There's already a hamilton, professional football team?!?! I was getting all excited for the A-League because I thought it and MLS([}:)]) were the only pro leagues. Where and when are these games? Also, I would not like the team name to be the Steelers for a few reasons: It's already a name for at least one team in virtually every sport; Hamilton's industry, as I'm sure you know, is quickly moving away from steel, so the name will be outdated soon; and it brings a bad image to the city(ie. Polution, all industrial, etc.).

Steelers!!!! Why not??? The name Steelers represents the historical significance of the city of Hamilton. The city was founded as the Steel Town of Canada. Beside that, the name Steelers represents a great soccer tradition in Hamilton. The Steelers of the CSL were a classic team that won the regional division title so many times, bringing the club to the national championship 4 times only to lose to Vancouver and Calgary.

Jaradthescot, if you are interested in obtaining info on the Hamilton franchise in the A-League, I would contact Hamiltonfan through his E-mail address at (soccer_man__01@hotmail.com). Presently, Hamiltonfan is starting a Hamilton soccer supporters club for the A-League franchise, and he is looking for members in the Hamilton area.

• 1 month later...

We were told when all this A-League news broke that there would be a decision on the Hamilton entry by mid September. We are getting close to mid October and still no news.

It would be great to see an A-league team here but I am no more convinced than I was in my post of mid August.

Has the Ottawa Wizards application slowed things down?

Wow, the team that sues the league then takes their ball and goes home vs. the team that can't pay their bills and changes coaches as often as their underwear. The A-League must be very impressed. [B)]

We were told when all this A-League news broke that there would be a decision on the Hamilton entry by mid September. We are getting close to mid October and still no news.

It would be great to see an A-league team here but I am no more convinced than I was in my post of mid August.

Has the Ottawa Wizards application slowed things down?

Wow, the team that sues the league then takes their ball and goes home vs. the team that can't pay their bills and changes coaches as often as their underwear. The A-League must be very impressed. [B)]

ok, so by 2007 we could have (in no particular order!)...

1.whitecaps

2.toronto

3.montreal

4.calgary

5.edmonton

6.ottawa

7.hamilton

8.winnipeg????

could they not then think about adding saskatoon/regina and a second british columbia squad is maybe victoria or the okanagan? The okanagan is a soccer hotbed in b.c. (as shown by the hosting of the u23 v. el salvador). Call the club the Okanagan Sun (that's what the youth clubs are called) and play in Kelowna at an expanded Apple Bowl. The people of the okanagan would go out in droves, it's a real family feel up there.

9.saskatchewan

10.victoria/okanagan?

this would be a serious coup and could happen by 2008-9. if these clubs are all in place (and each area does have a major men's/youth club system that consistently shines both on the field and financially) by then and the fans are coming out, could they not do one of two things....create a canadian a-league division (which should be done as soon as ottawa/edmonton) or create a canadian league that has 10 clubs. (i still say they should piggy-back with the cfl and play games before and/or after the cfl games - hell even change the colours to the cfl teams)...

ps-the lynx should be in blue/white. hamilton always was and is black/gold, and except for the lacrosse and basketball clubs, all toronto teams are blue/white.

ok, so by 2007 we could have (in no particular order!)...

1.whitecaps

2.toronto

3.montreal

4.calgary

5.edmonton

6.ottawa

7.hamilton

8.winnipeg????

could they not then think about adding saskatoon/regina and a second british columbia squad is maybe victoria or the okanagan? The okanagan is a soccer hotbed in b.c. (as shown by the hosting of the u23 v. el salvador). Call the club the Okanagan Sun (that's what the youth clubs are called) and play in Kelowna at an expanded Apple Bowl. The people of the okanagan would go out in droves, it's a real family feel up there.

9.saskatchewan

10.victoria/okanagan?

this would be a serious coup and could happen by 2008-9. if these clubs are all in place (and each area does have a major men's/youth club system that consistently shines both on the field and financially) by then and the fans are coming out, could they not do one of two things....create a canadian a-league division (which should be done as soon as ottawa/edmonton) or create a canadian league that has 10 clubs. (i still say they should piggy-back with the cfl and play games before and/or after the cfl games - hell even change the colours to the cfl teams)...

ps-the lynx should be in blue/white. hamilton always was and is black/gold, and except for the lacrosse and basketball clubs, all toronto teams are blue/white.

this was posted by JohnZ on the USL forum

"A while back on the official USL website, someone asked Marcos about what would happen with Canadian expansion, and his reply was that once they got up to six Canadian clubs, they become their own division, filling in the rest of the schedule wherever they can. Have fun paying the airline bills."

It would cost a ton vancouver to hamilton, ottawa, toronto and montreal. It would alot easyer on those teams compared to vany, edmonton and calgray.

Recently Tim Holt from the A-League was on Soccer Fanatics radio. He said there is no real push for an all-Canadian division within the A-League. He suggested that the current Canadian teams are happy with the league's set-up and they do not want to break up regional rivalries.

Let's face it Vancouver will never agree to ditch Seattle and Portland games for more cross-country flights and higher costs. Even Calgary started getting a nice little rivalry going with Seattle due to a couple of nasty exchanges last year. Don't hold your breath on a Canadian Division even if the A-League should make a greivous error and fast-track two expansion applications from groups(by heresay, admittedly) that seem to have their share of problems.

You can check out the interview in the archives.

http://www.soccerfanaticsradio.com/

• 4 months later...

Archived