Perugia are at it again

Massive Attack

Perugia search for woman to play in Serie A

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-perugiawoman&prov=reuters&type=lgns

ROME, July 23 (Reuters) - Italian soccer team Perugia were scouring the globe on Wednesday for the perfect female footballer to play alongside the men in Serie A, and hand the club a world first.

"Within six months we'll have a woman playing in Perugia's red strip," Luciano Gaucci, club president, told news agency Ansa. "I'm convinced that Perugia can become the first club on the planet to play a woman with men in the first division."

Perugia, who have made a name for themselves as a springboard for young talent and finished 10th in Serie A last season, are no strangers to unorthodox signings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last month they lured Al-Saadi Gaddafi, the 28-year-old son of Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, over to Italian shores and into a Perugia shirt for the next two years.

Gaucci said club scouts were homing in on Germany, Scandinavia and former-Yugoslavian countries in search of Perugia's female footballer.

"These countries have women who are good on a technical level, but can also compete with men in the physical sense," he said. "Here at home, there are good players but they are not adapted to the physical demands."

The Italian Football Federation had no immediate comment on Perugia's unusual plans, but Gaucci said he hoped there would be no obstacles put in his path.

"I'd be astonished if anyone kicked up a fuss. Firstly because it's not forbidden in the rules, which only mention men playing in women's teams," he said.

"Secondly women have the same rights as men, which should be respected on the football field as in all walks of life."

He said he hoped to nail the signing during January's transfer window, and he had a final word of warning for anyone who stamped on the dream.

"If that happens, women all over the world will revolt."

-------------------------

"As soon as you're born you start dying,

So you might as well have a good time."

Sheep Go To Heaven - Cake

Quote from article:"Gaucci said club scouts were homing in on Germany, Scandinavia and former-Yugoslavian countries in search of Perugia's female footballer.

"These countries have women who are good on a technical level, but can also compete with men in the physical sense,"

----------------------------------------------------------

The above quote makes one become cynical about the game at times. From what I saw of Libya during their friendly against canada, I would say that it was the weakest opponents that canada has faced in recent memory. Yet a Serie A team is prepared to grant an opportunity to a player whom one could argue would have a hard time cracking the Canadian MNT lineup. To be fair I did not follow him closely and was not able to decern who he was until he was subbed off and the camera focused on him. But there clearly was no one who stood out on Libya for their quality of play. So how good could this guy. Yet, you get the feeling that Serie A is out of reach for Canadian players.

Now this story of looking to Germany, Scandinavia and former-Yugoslavian countries for Female players. Hello!!!! don't these guys know that the best female players are in places like the USA and China. There are probably several female Canadian players who are up to par if not superior to female players in the countries that they are looking at. This goes to show how much reputation and hearsay factors in when looking for opportunities in this game. Clearly, this is more proof of how clubs make personel decsions with an eye on marketing and PR rather that quality and performance. An when it comes to these factors Canadian and Americans are at a severe disadvange.

Does Indoor soccer count????

because back in the '90s, the old Continental Indoor Soccer League, a woman played for the Washington Warthogs for a game, maybe two, i don't really know the extent of her tenure, you would have to probably look it up yourself. However, she actually played. Therefore, would Perugia become the first outdoor club in the world, unless it has already happened somewhere maybe in the USA, probably, they look for these type of gimmicks for some public hype.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Quote from article:"Gaucci said club scouts were homing in on Germany, Scandinavia and former-Yugoslavian countries in search of Perugia's female footballer.

"These countries have women who are good on a technical level, but can also compete with men in the physical sense,"

----------------------------------------------------------

The above quote makes one become cynical about the game at times. From what I saw of Libya during their friendly against canada, I would say that it was the weakest opponents that canada has faced in recent memory. Yet a Serie A team is prepared to grant an opportunity to a player whom one could argue would have a hard time cracking the Canadian MNT lineup. To be fair I did not follow him closely and was not able to decern who he was until he was subbed off and the camera focused on him. But there clearly was no one who stood out on Libya for their quality of play. So how good could this guy. Yet, you get the feeling that Serie A is out of reach for Canadian players.

Now this story of looking to Germany, Scandinavia and former-Yugoslavian countries for Female players. Hello!!!! don't these guys know that the best female players are in places like the USA and China. There are probably several female Canadian players who are up to par if not superior to female players in the countries that they are looking at. This goes to show how much reputation and hearsay factors in when looking for opportunities in this game. Clearly, this is more proof of how clubs make personel decsions with an eye on marketing and PR rather that quality and performance. An when it comes to these factors Canadian and Americans are at a severe disadvange.

Gaddafi sucked against Canada, and the only Lybian who is worth a look was the gentleman who scored, I believe, both Lybian goals...can't remeber his name, but he had a lot of talent. The good news for women soccer players is that there are at least two dozen in the world who are outright better than Gaddafi, accounting for physical advantages, and a couple of hundred with better skills but more limited physical abilities, so whomever they bring in will not be the worst soccer player at Perugia.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Archived