New National league question

That all depends on the circumstances. I would prefer to implement a new national league on the concept of player developmental for at least 5-years. In other words, produce young talent that's capable of developing the necessary skills which they require to compete in the topnotch leagues in Europe. This is task that should be in place for the next 5-years. In fact, this whole concept was part of the CUSL agenda.

On another issue, we should make 2005 a crucial year for Canadian A-League soccer. We should seriously persuade the CSA, the provincial leagues and associations to add more teams in the A-League (aside from the existing ones: Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Edmonton’2004). I would seriously love to see Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Victoria, Quebec City and even Windsor in the A-League by 2005.

I guess it depends on what European league you're talking about. I can't see a Canadian league being much better than the A-League in level of competition, meaning that the English First Division or Second Division would be a better place to go for player development. I assume that the second tier in Germany, Italy, and Spain would be similar. Leagues like Norway and Sweden... well that's a bit more debatable.

Another thing to consider is that Canadian clubs would be hard pressed to compete in wages with big second-level Euro clubs. For example, who would win in a bidding war between Wolves and the Lynx? Could the Storm outspend Wigan? In that sense, for a player who attracts enough attention, it would become academic -- he would be gone, anyway.

One advantage to playing in Canada might be that the players wouldn't be exhuasted from forty-something matches during World Cup competitions (or the finals, for that matter). Maybe we can convince France to lend us their squad for the first part of a 2006 season? :D

In addition to developing talent, however, I think that the league could give guys like Wyn Belotte and Tony Menezes somewhere to go and get some games while they show the big clubs what they can do. It could go a long way towards providing depth, too -- a Menezes in game shape could have helped out a lot at the Gold Cup.

Glenn

A new Canadian league would be exactly like the A-League is now. That is it would give Canadians a chance to play, and they could play at home. If players became good enough and choose to try out in Europe and their not under contract with a Canadian team they would be free to go. Foreign teams would be free to buy players who were under contract. Just like domestic leagues in the rest of the world.

All this talk (luis) of making it a developmental league is just a bunch of rubbish. Why can't we just do things like they are everywhere else. Why must we make a future professional league in Canada a "developmental" league? Let the damn players fend for themselves. If they are talented enough to play elsewhere then they will move on, just like everywhere else.

Just my opinion. Because it is correct and better than any others is purely coincidence.

"As nothing in this life that I've been trying

could equal or surpass the art of dying"-George Harrison

I think the issue is that Canadian clubs have to be more aggresive with their players. Canada is developing some fine players but if we continue to give them away for free, we just shoot ourselves in the foot. How many players have come through the Toronto Lynx? The Lynx website lists DeRosario, Stalteri, Onstad & Pozniak as alumni. Did they get and money for them? By getting money for top players that move on to Europe or elsewhere, the clubs can continue to build. Marco Reda, Atiba Hutchinson and Milan Kojic are other players that come to mind.

Now, I'm no expert on the world footballer market but I do see some big money being tossed around and the Canadian clubs should be seeing some of it.

-----------------------

aka JTPenney

"We love peace. We use our might to make the world a more peaceful place." George W. Bush

I'm not sure how aggressive they can be. I think that most of the players are on one-year deals, so the Euro clubs can wait a few months and sign them on Bosmans. Even the leagues using transfer windows can pick them up for free in January or whenever. There's also the fact that there are players of similar calibre available elsewhere, perhaps without the kind of non-EU restrictions that the EU leagues sometimes have. There may also be a stigma about signing second-tier North American players, especially if there's limited cash to spend and the manager's job isn't secure. That's not a great bargaining position. When the Euro teams call Nicole Hartell (or whoever) to discuss transfer fees, I think it's a pretty one-sided conversation.

It's the equivalent of free agency in the NA sports.

It had something to do with a Belgian whose rights still belonged to the club even after his contract expired. And that was illegal or something.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

When his contract expired and his old club blocked a transfer, Bosman appealed won a legal battle that allowed him to go wherever he wanted without a fee. It created free transfers in Europe, making it one of the watershed moments in world football. Though he wasn't a great player, Bosman's name will be remembered long after the vast majority of his contemporaries have faded away. It's already passed into common usage in footballing nations. Notice how no one ever bothers explaining exactly what Bosman means anymore?

quote:Originally posted by Glenn

I remember reading about that in World Soccer. Very sad. Maybe some of the multi-millionaries that benefit from free transfers should give Jean-Marc a cut?

There was a benefit game held to raise funds involving soem of the world top players.

They did it to thank Bosman for freeing them from their "slavery".

• 2 weeks later...

a canadian league would be at a slightly higher level,if it had a four player foreigner rule instead of two,the talent brought in to canada would be invaluble.have all the teams in canadian league set up partnerships with euro club teams,the vancouver whitecaps made 50.000 dollars when they sold carlo corazzin in 94.also have their partnerships play exibitions once a year in their cities,a tv contract with tsn or sportsnet would help.also use british announcers for the tv games,if you package this game to canadians professionally and traditionally there is no reason it could not thrive.

Archived