There's News and then there's Good News!

Guest Ed

From an article written by a Richmond reporter Mark Bushman:

6. Dwayne DeRosario - I've gotten to know Dwayne pretty well over the past few years, primarily when he was in Richmond scoring tons of goals for the Kickers before moving on to San Jose. I was able to chat with him for awhile Saturday evening after Richmond's 1-0 win over Syracuse, and I asked him about his rehab (for those who might not know, he tore his ACL in pre-season action and hasn't played a minute this year). Amazingly, he said he should back on the field by the end of August. His rehab is coming along great and he thinks he'll be able to contribute by the middle of September. If so, that's a huge addition for San Jose. Dwayne is somebody you'd love to have on your team. He's got a great work ethic, solid skills, and most importantly, is a genuinely nice guy. If anyone can come back ahead of schedule after a major knee injury, it's Dwayne.

Free the banana cream 3!

Hi,

Very good news indeed! I felt so sorry for him when he tore his ACL. He seemed philosophical about it and felt it was just fate holding him back for something better...hopefully a hat track against T&T in a WCQ.

Paul

Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday - Edith Bunker

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

He's a good player. A lot of MLS pundits were predicting a break out year for him. He's a much better option than McKenna up front.

"Try not, do. Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

It depends somewhat on the team we are playing I think. McKenna's skills have come a long way since Hearts switched to, more or less, full time striker. DeRosario is more skilled on the ball, and much faster, both qualitites I appreciate, but McKenna has been more effective that Dwayne has been in introducing the ball to the opponent's net. I am loathe to turn my nose up at goals. But we do need Pwamme back however, both as a partner for Radzinski, and just as likely, a relacement for an absent Radzinski.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

He's a good player. A lot of MLS pundits were predicting a break out year for him. He's a much better option than McKenna up front.

"Try not, do. Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

It depends somewhat on the team we are playing I think. McKenna's skills have come a long way since Hearts switched to, more or less, full time striker. DeRosario is more skilled on the ball, and much faster, both qualitites I appreciate, but McKenna has been more effective that Dwayne has been in introducing the ball to the opponent's net. I am loathe to turn my nose up at goals. But we do need Pwamme back however, both as a partner for Radzinski, and just as likely, a relacement for an absent Radzinski.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

McKenna's skills have come a long way since Hearts switched to, more or less, full time striker.

This point is indisputable after our two Gold Cup games, I think. In 2002, McKenna stood in the box and headed or poked the ball goal-wards--not to diminish his fine performance but he certainly was not involved in the offensive buildup, he just stayed in advantageous positions and got hit with the ball.

Things were a little different this year. Kevin was still target man, but he was involved in play on the wing, and supported Stalteri instead of Stalteri supporting him. He was dribbling and even passing.

Kevin isn't that fast, really, but Carlo Thorazine isn't a speed demon either and it's hard to argue with his success...

I think that as long as Canada needs Kevin in front, he's a worthwhile selection.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Archived