Nik Ledgerwood

29 minutes ago, Big_M said:

^ At a very low level.

You are aware he was playing B3 not B1? Not a huge difference in level if any between B3 and NASL. If he was 22 I would say stay in the more professional environment of B3 with chances at promotion or transfer upward but at age 30 that ship has sailed. Cottbus is not going to promote this year and even if they did he would likely be a depth player at that level just like he would likely be in MLS. Even if he stayed at Cottbus he is an older player coming off a major injury and would have to win his spot back again and fend off challenges from younger players so not guarantee of starting there either. If he has a chance to come to NASL and be a steady starter and leader on a team I think it is good for both his career and the national team.

In an ideal situation Ledgerwood is also not a starter for the national team either and gets playing time because we lack right footed players especially at right back. He reminds me a lot of Pozniak, not a guy you really want to be your starter but yet he can play many positions and never really hurts you when you do have to play him because he is defensively solid and can play in a system. Those players are useful to have but in the end we want them to be depth players not starters. Hopefully a few younger players will break through so we are not forced to start Ledgerwood for lack of a better alternative. I have a lot of respect for how he has always shown up for us with a good attitude and played his heart out but in the end we need to have someone better in his position if we are going to do anything in WCQ.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

If it's because he's homesick, it's fine but otherwise it would be a mistake as he can still play at a higher level for a few more years. Would be bad for the national team also.

Yes Nik Ledgerwood, of Lethbridge, Alberta, please stay in Europe for one or two more years of German D3 football.

11 hours ago, Big_M said:

If it's because he's homesick, it's fine but otherwise it would be a mistake as he can still play at a higher level for a few more years. Would be bad for the national team also.

Just like JDG is suffering in Ottawa? Come on man.. This is a great move for soccer in this country. How many kids are going to watch him both live and on tv (with national team) and be encouraged.

My advice would be to let them know. Back in 2011 they would customize, but that's basically because there was only about 2 of us that wanted one done. Now you have to be in tight with a player or luck out at the year end sale. Managed to get a few for myself, have a Smits and (Lance) Parker kit from 2013. There's also been no mention if they're keeping the kits this year, or if its getting a redesign. Might be time for a slight change up since they've used this kit for a couple years now.

Think they had someone in the city that would do it for you, but wasn't directly through the club.

40 minutes ago, Steedman said:

Seems kind of crazy that a small club couldn't make something like that happen??

I dunno. That's pricy and would take forever if you're going to get it from the supplier. Easier to just order blank kits en mass and sell them like that. Don't need to worry about a player getting injured and no one wanting his kit.

15 minutes ago, jedinathan said:

I dunno. That's pricy and would take forever if you're going to get it from the supplier. Easier to just order blank kits en mass and sell them like that. Don't need to worry about a player getting injured and no one wanting his kit.

The Fury do it... Online, it takes a couple weeks. In store, they turn them around in a few days.

The Ledgerwood signing is good for Alberta and Canadian soccer in general.  Next question: where is Edmonton native Lars Hirschfeld going to end up now that he's unattached?  He's getting close to the end of the line, but he still probably has a couple more years in him.  To FCE?  TFC?  Somewhere else?  It would be nice to see a Canadian keeper actually starting for a North American pro club that isn't a reserve side.

Jason

17 minutes ago, jedinathan said:

For people looking for an FCEd Ledgerwood kit: the club has responded on Twitter to me and will be making them. Just have to call and ask for it done (I assume there will be an extra charge for it, but the jerseys are cheap last I checked). 

780-700-2600

You should post this on the NASL treads as well. Just so this phone number doesn't get lost in pages of Ledgerwood banter.

10 hours ago, king1010 said:

Where are you getting that from? 

He had quite a few contract offers in europe but declined them because he wanted a better situation for his family. 

If that's the case then why did he spend half a season without a club and then come back to Canada when his kids are in Germany?

4 hours ago, jpg75 said:

If that's the case then why did he spend half a season without a club and then come back to Canada when his kids are in Germany?

articles at the time were saying he wanted to sign close to his kids in Germany or back home in Canada. Did his kids come to Ottawa with him?

I remember reading articles that he had offers in Greece but they were too far from his kids.

EDIT:

Xanthi wanted him back for another season, at a slightly reduced salary, but de Guzman resisted because the travel time to his family was eight to 10 hours with connections.

He has had offers from Greece, but none so far have ticked those boxes.

http://o.canada.com/sports/soccer/canadian-international-julian-de-guzman-puts-family-ahead-of-soccer-this-summer

Edited by king1010