Ottawa Wizards

socfan1

The Ottawa Wizards want to go to the A League but they cant go without a bigger fan base. They cant get people to the games because no media supports them. No media supports them because they dont get enough people at the game. It is a terrible cycle. The owner loves soccer and will spend the money except he wants to play in fornt of a good size crowd. They played well against Charlotte Eagles anyone at the game knows they were the better team. They are challenging Toronto and Montreal to come play them. To prove that the CPSL has teams at the same level.

That is the main problem: Carp is not Ottawa, and there is no other suitable stadium for the Wizards to play in. It is all about a certain mentality towards travel. Someone in Toronto doesn't think twice about jumping on the freeway and driving 45 minutes to get somewhere. Things are a little different in Ottawa. There's no right or wrong in what I'm saying here, it's just a different reality about the communities in which we live. For example, I grew up in Northern Ontario, a town called Kapuskasing, and I would have trouble getting a ride from my mom to go to Moonbeam, a 15 minute drive, because it was "too far". The smaller the city, the less likely you are to travel great distances to get to another spot in your community. I've found that the opposite is true in Mega-Cities like Toronto and Montreal.

Coming back to the Wiz, I don't believe the owner of the team is interested in moving the club into a central location since he's put up hundreds of thousands of dollars to build the complex he has in Carp (which was a mistake in his plan since the stadium has no growth potential in terms of capacity because of surrounding infrastructure).

Therefore, in order for the Wiz to get "promoted" to the A-League, something has to give. Either the owner has to cut his losses and move downtown, or another franchise needs to set up shop downtown to rival the Wiz (which would in effect put the Wiz out of business - if given the chance between driving to Carp or staying downtown, what do you think most Ottawa folk would do?).

Another point to make is that the Wiz, based in Carp, are not attracting the gigantic potential of the Gatineau area right across the Outaouais river. Our cousins across the river are HUGE soccer fans, but Carp isn't even close to being in their sphere of reality. This is also a problem for the Senators who have never really been able to tap that market because they set up shop so far away from it.

Land in downtown Ottawa isn't cheap, so it would probably take some level gov't involvement. Don't hold your breath.

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Oh come on. You are almost in Carp when you go to Senators games.

Which is part of the Senator's problem in selling out consistently. I added that dimension to my post up just now, so I won't repeat it here.

Mimglow, Ottawa

And to counteract

Rage Against The Machine

quote:Originally posted by hello

tell your owner to try to put some ads in the paper it works!!

That is definitely an issue. He complains that he's not drawing big numbers, but there is no promotion except at the grassroot soccer levels. To draw Joe Sportsfan to your games, Joe Sportsfan has to know you exist (and Joe Sportsfan needs a car, since there is no public transit out there).

I think it may be time for me to fire out an email to the Wizards to run this idea by them. I'm sure it's occurred to them, so let's try and get an explanation as to why they're not doing it!

Mimglow, Ottawa

And to counteract

Rage Against The Machine

It's possible. Remotely possible. But we'd just end up with a converted baseball field like Rochester Raging Rhinos. I don't think that it's a good option.

Mimglow, Ottawa

And to counteract

Rage Against The Machine

I think that JetForm Park (the current home of the possibly soon to be defunct Ottawa Lynx AAA baseball team) would be the ideal location for an A-League side. There's nothing wrong with a converted baseball stadium as long as you flatten the pitcher's mound and cover the dirt patches with grass. If the Lynx move or fold after this season, the Wizards would be the only tenant (making scheduling easier because you wouldn't have to always be converting the field back and forth for baseball.)

I think JetForm is the perfect size for an A-League side, Oz Optics Stadium is too small while Frank Clair Staidum is too big. Plus JetForm is a nice, modern facility which is accessible both from the downtown and from suburbs (by virtue of being right on Highway 417.) I think an A-League side would easily get the 3,000+ fans it would need to break even, and significantly more than that if the team were competitive.

Mike D

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

I think that JetForm Park (the current home of the possibly soon to be defunct Ottawa Lynx AAA baseball team) would be the ideal location for an A-League side. There's nothing wrong with a converted baseball stadium as long as you flatten the pitcher's mound and cover the dirt patches with grass. If the Lynx move or fold after this season, the Wizards would be the only tenant (making scheduling easier because you wouldn't have to always be converting the field back and forth for baseball.)

From the reports I've read, the Lynx are having their best season at the gate in years.

Mimglow, Ottawa

And to counteract

Rage Against The Machine

The reports I've read have said the opposite (re: the Ottawa Lynx.) While a move is far from a sure thing yet, it's a distinct possibility.

Here's an article from last months's Citizen. Since then, they've had a few one day spikes in attendance due to some promotions (Harry Potter Day, etc...) but that's it. My girlfriend's boss is a season ticket holder and he's really worried.

PUBLICATION: The Ottawa Citizen

DATE: 2003.06.20

EDITION: Final

SECTION: Sports

PAGE: B1 / Front

BYLINE: Ken Warren

SOURCE: The Ottawa Citizen

NOTE: On the field: Swept in doubleheader in Charlotte, page B5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IL president doubts Lynx can survive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

International League president Randy Mobley thinks it may already be too late to keep the Ottawa Lynx from moving, but team owner Ray Pecor says big crowds this weekend could help salvage the Triple-A baseball franchise.

"We're looking at better options," said Mobley, who has held regular discussions with Pecor and Lynx general manager Kyle Bostwick. "I don't think we've seen anything different (from last year). We have to be realistic. I guess, if something miraculous happened, it could change, but I would say the clock is probably ticking. We're looking through different scenarios right now."

The Lynx have drawn 61,304 in 37 home games, an average of 1,657 per game. The Louisville Bats lead the International League in attendance, averaging 8,329 per game. Every other IL team has averaged at least 3,200 per game and the league average is 5,365.

Pecor, however, says he won't make any concrete decisions about the future of the franchise for another month.

He's anxious to see if the club's inspired promotional efforts this weekend can attract more than 20,000 fans for games against the Richmond Braves tonight, tomorrow and Sunday. If so, it would make the biggest attendance weekend for the club since Pecor bought the franchise from original owner Howard Darwin for $7 million in 2000.

"I still want to give it a chance," said Pecor, who planned to drive to Ottawa from his home in Burlington, Vermont, to watch this weekend's games. "I don't want to move this thing and I would like to think maybe this weekend would tell us something."

In order to bring fans out to Lynx Stadium this weekend, the club is giving away money, tapping into fantasy and helping out charity.

Tonight is Harry Potter night, as the club attempts to capitalize on the success of the fantasy series about the fictional childhood wizard. There will be broom races around the bases between innings, and following the game the Lynx will have a Harry Potter trivia contest and show the first movie of the series. At midnight, the club will release for sale 1,000 copies of the fifth book in the series, Order of the Phoenix.

Tomorrow, the club will give away $10,000 to one lucky fan. Sunday is United Way Day at the ballpark.

Mobley credits Bostwick for his determination, but he's also pragmatic about the situation.

The Lynx played before fewer than 100 fans several times in April and May, and the season-ticket base of 800 is about 3,000 short of what's necessary to survive long-term, Mobley says.

It's also in stark contrast to 1993, when the first-year Lynx enjoyed sold out the 10,332-seat stadium 43 times, setting a league attendance record by averaging 9,772 fans per game.

"From an esthetic point of view, there's no place better than Ottawa," he said. "We're not trying to threaten anyone, but the message is clear. There's a core group of people who go out there, but there's nothing approaching what we saw in the first four or five years of existence. They had a good club last year, and again this year. So, it's not the quality of play. The facility is good. That's not an issue. The tickets are a good price. That's not an issue. We've pretty much scratched everything off the list."

The last time an IL franchise moved was in 1989, when a club based in Maine moved to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. If Pecor moves the Lynx, he'll also be subject to a fine of $1.2 million for breaking the lease agreement for use of the stadium with the city.

Mike D

I was obviously mistsaken! Thanks for the clarification, Mike.

In light of this information I would say that if the Lynx give up on Ottawa the stadium could easily be converted to a soccer stadium, as stated by MikeD.

Mimglow, Ottawa

And to counteract

Rage Against The Machine

Questions:

Terry Fox is the stadium at Mooney's Bay, right?

Where is Keith Harris located?

Are these both municipal facilities?

Given that Jetform is municipally-owned, is there a baseball lobby that would try to keep the stadium for special events? I assume that the city is pretty shy after being snakebitten by so many sports franchises, so the cost of conversion, lease and some guarantees may be too much for the Wiz's owner.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Questions:

Given that Jetform is municipally-owned, is there a baseball lobby that would try to keep the stadium for special events? I assume that the city is pretty shy after being snakebitten by so many sports franchises, so the cost of conversion, lease and some guarantees may be too much for the Wiz's owner.

Having a team in JetForm would be more reasonable since the city would have a tennant that could use the facility.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Questions:

Having a team in JetForm would be more reasonable since the city would have a tennant that could use the facility.

After today's performance by the women's National Squad in Ottawa, there is no doubt in my mind that Ottawa Wizards will be the next Canadian city in the A-League by 2005. This is without a doubt as a result of today's attendance at Frank Clair Stadium for women's soccer. If I am correct, this game was almost a major sell-out. From here, the city of Ottawa, the amateur soccer associations, along with business in the area will surely push for the idea of establishing an A-League franchise in the nation's capital. In fact, this is how Edmonton were able to establish an A-League club so quickly as a result of the women's Youth World-Cup event last year. This does not mean that I have given-up on Hamilton. No. Absolutely not. In fact, I still have hope for Hamilton's entry into the A-league. I wouldn't be surprised that both Ottawa and Hamilton achieve entry into the A-League at the same time by 2005.

I do think that 2005 is a crucial year for Canadian A-League soccer. I am hoping that, aside from Hamilton and Ottawa, other cities such as Winnipeg, Quebec City, Windsor, and Victoria send application to the A-League for 2005.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

After today's performance by the women's National Squad in Ottawa, there is no doubt in my mind that Ottawa Wizards will be the next Canadian city in the A-League by 2005.

Luis dont confuse Internatinal womens soccer or International soccer with A league attendance.

The market is different.

An A league franchise to match the Impact experience in Montreal needs.

1. Solid support from the soccer community, coaches and clubs in on ticket selling and revenue stream from such sales.

2. A principal owner with ability to absorb losses for five to seven years in range of $500,00o per year, i.e. $3,500,000 over seven years.

3. The Wizards statdia could serve as an interim stadia untill fan base exceeds 2,500 per game every game, with play offs etc. moved to Frank Clair when waranteed during starting five years.

Frankly with more international matches bound to arrive in Ottawa I dont see a long term goal for A league soccer in Ottawa, what is doable if the CSA gets it act together is up to 10 womens/mens combined matches in the city each May to October.

This would give fans a much better experience then A league games.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Luis dont confuse Internatinal womens soccer or International soccer with A league attendance.

The market is different.

An A league franchise to match the Impact experience in Montreal needs.

1. Solid support from the soccer community, coaches and clubs in on ticket selling and revenue stream from such sales.

2. A principal owner with ability to absorb losses for five to seven years in range of $500,00o per year, i.e. $3,500,000 over seven years.

3. The Wizards statdia could serve as an interim stadia untill fan base exceeds 2,500 per game every game, with play offs etc. moved to Frank Clair when waranteed during starting five years.

Frankly with more international matches bound to arrive in Ottawa I dont see a long term goal for A league soccer in Ottawa, what is doable if the CSA gets it act together is up to 10 womens/mens combined matches in the city each May to October.

This would give fans a much better experience then A league games.

Aren't we a little pig. OINK OINK OINK

Well I will try to reply to a lot of the comments.

First once people go to a Wizard game they enjoy it. The fields are pehaps the best in canada. The owner spend $500,000 to import grass for the training field and playing field. Also he wants to sell out attendence at the OZ Dome before they move downtown. If the wizards are not filling up their stadium why pay more money to use someone elses stadium.

Also we have ads that run in the Ottawa sun and other local papers. What we lack is the coverage. There is rarely TV coverage because the CPSL show is out of Toronto. Also media doesnt cover many of our games. We dont have a huge amount of money to spend on advertising. We would rather have editorials and summaries done about our game because those are free.

Lastly Ottawa will go A League if the fan base gets there. The team is good enough but the support is not there yet. Pro soccer teams are not a good investment and to go A league will only lose more $$. Instead of busing to Toronto they might have to fly to Vancouver or the US.

The owner should realize that the reason people aren't going to the games is that it is not accessible.

Mimglow, Ottawa

And to counteract

Rage Against The Machine

Archived