WWC draw [R]

Auger9

The U.S., as host, have already been placed in Group A, position 1. China have been placed into Group D, position 1. The rest of the teams have been placed into the following pots. Pot 1 (seeded teams): Norway and Germany; Pot 2: Ghana, Nigeria, Argentina and Brazil; Pot 3: France, Russia and Sweden; Pot 4: Canada, Japan, Korea DPR, Korea Republic and Australia.

and right now, some guy is explaining the draw procedures, so it should pick up shortly.

Nucks in '03!

Group C's schedule at the WWC:

Group C

5. CLB 09/20/03 Germany vs Canada

6. CLB 09/20/03 Japan vs Argentina

13. CLB 09/24/03 Germany vs Japan

14. CLB 09/24/03 Argentina vs Canada

21. WDC 09/27/03 Germany vs Argentina

22. BOS 09/27/03 Canada vs Japan

So if Canada finishes first, it would potentially face Australia, Russia or Ghana, assuming China finishes first in its own group. Which would be one of the simpler routes to the final 4.

Well, we shall see I guess!

Reza

Good draw for Canada! Avoided Brazil, Sweden, North Korea and Nigeria.

And, good for you guys in southern Ontario, couldn't get closer than Colombus (nice sadium too) for first two games, and Boston for third.

Groups A and B toughest. China gets a real break, Group D is Group of Milktoast.

That first game will be key. If we don't beat Germany we'll probably have to play China in the quarter-final.

My prediction:

Group A

1. USA

2. Nigeria

Group B

1. Brazil

2. Norway

Group C

1. Germany

2. Canada

Group D

1. China

2. Australia

Wow. Not one, but two groups of Death. Tough draw for the US. I'd say A & B are equally hard. C & D really only look to be two deep...although Japan did manage to knock off Mexico.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

We will beat Germany ...

I predict Canada going into at least the Quarter-Finals ...

Hear, hear on your first point. We'll beat Germany.

But I'll go a little farther--I say we'll be in the semis. We're good enough. We have some of the world's best players, and as long as we don't bunker down at all, we're going to shock everyone this tournament.

Then again, I also said Canada 2-0 Cuba. So, like, whatever...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Germany has some good players too. They have two of the top five scorers in the WUSA, Maren Meinert and Birgit Prinz. But I think I read somewhere that Meinert had retired from the national team. Can anyone confirm that? Elaine, are you reading this?

quote:Originally posted by Chet

Germany has some good players too. They have two of the top five scorers in the WUSA, Maren Meinert and Birgit Prinz. But I think I read somewhere that Meinert had retired from the national team. Can anyone confirm that? Elaine, are you reading this?

True. But we've got one of the best young goal-scorers in the world, who in a couple of years is going to make Mia Hamm look like my little sister. We've got some good vets and scads of brilliant young players in every position. We've got goalkeeping and defence. There's no reason to think we can't burn this tournament up, just as we did the U19 tournament. It surely won't be as easy, but we're going to go far, is my prediction.

Oh, and just to make my rather obscure allusion clear, my sister never played soccer at all.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

YES, our women are going to be smokin' come late December! This is our turnament, at least 3rd place, I can feel it! Our veterans will be making their big statements, and our pups will gel! And we should, barring injuries (knock on wood), have everyone everybody wants there!

Tonight (and after in Ottawa) against Brazil will be a great litmus test (too bad it'll be on turf, not great preparation for the US grass).

Go, Canada Women, Go!

quote:True. But we've got one of the best young goal-scorers in the world, who in a couple of years is going to make Mia Hamm look like my little sister.

ONE of the best young goal-scorers in the world? Are you talking about Lang or Sinclair?

Everything you say is true, Matt. This Canadian team is strong in every position. I just have two concerns.

1) Tactics: Canada still relies on the long ball and on high crosses into the box. That's a sound tactic against most of the teams, who are smaller and less fit that we are. But I seriously doubt that the German team will lack for either size or fitness.

2) Average age: Canada may well be the youngest team in the tournament. I have no doubt that we'll be among the top four teams in the world in another 5 to 6 years. But most of these players are still developing. Young players have a habit of making mistakes.

On the other hand, this may be Charmaine Hooper's last World Cup. Even at 35, I'd rate Hooper one of the five most formidable players in the world.

quote:Originally posted by Chet

true, Germany definitely deserves the ranking they got yesterday. We've never beatin' them before, so ther'll be a lot riding on this game for both teams. Meinert and Prinz are top players in the WUSA, and the world and Meinert was named MVP of the WUSA allstar game.

here's my predictions,

A

1 USA

2 Sweden (maybe N korea but definitely not nigeria!)

B

1Brazil

2norway

C

1germany

2canada

D

1china

2russia

based on what i said before, i wouldn't mind at all if we came 2nd in our group. i dont think we would have too much trouble with china, our size and strength would be far too overwhelming for them. however, we've always had trouble with Russia.

Nucks in '03!

So, if Canada makes it to the final, our schedule will be:

vs Germany on Saturday, September 20, in Columbus

vs the Argies on Wednesday, September 24, also in Columbus

vs Japan on Saturday, September 27, in Foxborough

Quarterfinal on Thursday, October 2, in Portland, Oregon

Semi-Final on Sunday, October 5, also in Portland

Final on Sunday, October 12, in Carson/Los Angeles, California

Mike D

Guest Jeffery S.

I agree with most that we have a good draw, at least until the semis. Interesting reading what US supporters on BigSoccer say, almost all put us first in the group, and many are glad they won't see us theoretically until semis. In any case I take our chances in quarter finals vs any in Group D, so I am optimistic.

The big game is Germany, perhaps the biggest until semis.

Also. We have a lot of conditioning, though tend to use it to its limit. The squad is young. I think this would be positive for the first three games, think it is in 6 days.

Archived