Post Gold Cup Discussion

Personally, I was really down after the Cuba loss. It felt like the end of the world for the MNT to me. But now that I've had a few days to mull over the results, my outlook is not as pessimistic as it first was. Look at Honduras, they lost to Brazil's U-23 team, I think that's more embarassing then losing to Cuba (who actually look like they are on the rise, and, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually replace Jamaica or T&T as the best Carribean team). As for Canada, when you look at the results, we were tied on points with CR and Cuba. It really blows to bow out of a tournament on goal difference. Message to CONCACAF: 4 groups of 4, this competition already looks mickey mouse enough. A group of three is the stupidest way to run a tournament. Anyways, as for our results, we did show that we could beat one of the better teams in our region. A few upsets like that, and we might be able to make the hex. The GC was also valuable in giving players like Hume and Hutchison a chance to show Holger what they can do. Now, we must move forward from this tournament. The first thing I want to see the CSA do is announce a MNT home friendly for this year. I don't see why we couldn't get a CONCACAF team to come play us on the Labour Day weekend (why not ask Cuba). I think its time we start having a few friendlies against nations from our own region. The Cuba game was a wake up call that we must listen to.

-------------------------

"We suffer everyday, what is it for

These crimes of illusion, are fooling us all

And now I am weary and I feel like I do..."

Only You - Portishead

Losing to Cuba certainly isn't the end of the world, and I don't even think it requires any major office shake-ups.

All this talk of a home friendly is great, and I'd be the first one to buy a ticket to see the match, but there are obstacles not worth overcoming. There is no point in drawing players away from their clubs to play Cuba in Edmonton on Labour Day. An absence of that sort will only hurt our players' relationships with their clubs. As much as we all want to see our boys play at home, it's far more important that they build strong relationships with their clubs, especially with WCQ just around the corner. That's when we really need the boys to come. That's when we can cheer on our boys at home. Let the boys do their thing in Europe for now, but when it comes time to get serious, let's get really serious. I like the previously mentioned idea of a pre WCQ qualifying tour of warmer climates, using only players on European winter breaks and North American off-seasons.

“I've found the smaller, faster players, they're not so fast when they're lying on the grass. It tends to slow them down a bit.” Mark Watson on Japan's speedy Confederations Cup team.

I agree -- how about an "A-League friendly" in Edmonton against Cuba or Bermuda on Labour Day weekend? Or maybe our North American-based players can play an actual A-League team? Surely we could beat the Storm..?

Otherwise, I'd like to see something in Europe. Not sure of the Euro 2004 qualifying dates, but there's got to be a team with nothing scheduled for a FIFA date in September or August.

Archived