To those who want Holger sacked?

DoyleG

Just for discussion sake, can we also ask for realistic choices? ie. based on what the CSA could realistically afford.

I'm not in the pro-sacking group at this point, so I won't mention a choice, though I suspect the next Canadian coach (whenever that would be) will be a Canadian again. Call it hunch?

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Just for discussion sake, can we also ask for realistic choices? ie. based on what the CSA could realistically afford.

I'm not in the pro-sacking group at this point, so I won't mention a choice, though I suspect the next Canadian coach (whenever that would be) will be a Canadian again. Call it hunch?

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

There is probably a good hundred people out there that have the qualifications and experience for the job. To me, rather than tossing around a whole bunch of names, we (the CSA) ought to be looking at proposed coaching plans and development plans to be submitted by the candidates as their platform. Evaluate these for cost and applicability to the reality of the Canadian soccer structure.

There is probably a good hundred people out there that have the qualifications and experience for the job. To me, rather than tossing around a whole bunch of names, we (the CSA) ought to be looking at proposed coaching plans and development plans to be submitted by the candidates as their platform. Evaluate these for cost and applicability to the reality of the Canadian soccer structure.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think the front-runner has to be Yallop. He has been coaching at perhaps the highest level, and getting results even with the team roster a bit short at Quakes this year. In spite of supposedly having a star in Landon the team gets better results than you'd expect for its squad and weak fan support.

The other little advantage is that the MLS season ends at the right moment for the change. It is either before the end of this year or I'll accept Holger for all of the WC qualifying campaign. Of course once we are knocked out (we are sure to be knocked out before the HEX) we will surely have to start rebuilding for post 2006.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think the front-runner has to be Yallop. He has been coaching at perhaps the highest level, and getting results even with the team roster a bit short at Quakes this year. In spite of supposedly having a star in Landon the team gets better results than you'd expect for its squad and weak fan support.

The other little advantage is that the MLS season ends at the right moment for the change. It is either before the end of this year or I'll accept Holger for all of the WC qualifying campaign. Of course once we are knocked out (we are sure to be knocked out before the HEX) we will surely have to start rebuilding for post 2006.

I don't count myself as one who wants to see Holger sacked. I think he made some errors in team selection against Cuba but his options were also limited. For all his faults, Holger has brought in some new blood over the years. A better time for replacement would be after World Cup Qualifying for 2006.

As for who should replace him if he was to be replaced, I recognize that affordability is an issue. Value also needs to be considered. We need someone who has the networks. We can pretend that networks don't matter but they do. We need someone with instant credibility or this cycle of replacing coaches will be ongoing.

As for a name, I think it might be useful to go with a coach who understands the issues of a small country with a small pool of players. Bringing in a British, another German, Italian, or Spanish Coach that we can afford will only replicate the same issues, we have now.

I would like to see a Canadian but it has to be someone who can command the respect of the players and resist the development of cliques. I am not sure if that is possible.

I have always been impressed with the success of Sweden, Denmark and Belgium internationally. Denmark, especially, because they do not have a pro league (at least, as far as I know). Maybe if we look at one of those countries for a qualified coach. Still no name from me.. Just some thoughts.

Here's a thought... what about an American coach?

Kinda hurts to say it (and I don't mean Sampson, although he'll probably be free soon), but I think someone like Bruce Arena would understand the problems we face. There's no reason we couldn't improve our program the way the Americans have since, say, '94. Except for the cash problem, of course, but that's something the Americans had to fight in the past too.

OTOH, Yallop would be a good choice... and it would be great if Bridge got involved after winning the WWC...

Anyhow, random thoughts. Burninate away.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

Here's a thought... what about an American coach?

Kinda hurts to say it (and I don't mean Sampson, although he'll probably be free soon), but I think someone like Bruce Arena would understand the problems we face. There's no reason we couldn't improve our program the way the Americans have since, say, '94. Except for the cash problem, of course, but that's something the Americans had to fight in the past too.

OTOH, Yallop would be a good choice... and it would be great if Bridge got involved after winning the WWC...

Anyhow, random thoughts. Burninate away.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

A new manager is not necessarily the answer. I am not a big fan of Holger right now, but the fact remains that this team "is what it is" and he is, in all likelihood, making the most of it.

A new manager may give us a boost a la 2000 Gold Cup. I am a firm believer that in order to see consistent gains by our national side, we need a domestic league...plain and simple.

Bruce Arena and Steve Sampson are not responsible for the US overtaking Canada in soccer and rise on the international scene.....the MLS is.

"Who's used all the penicillin?" "Oh Mark Paxton sir, he's got knobrot off some tart." Gareth Keenan

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

Bruce Arena and Steve Sampson are not responsible for the US overtaking Canada in soccer and rise on the international scene.....the MLS is.

True, true. But I really like the way the Americans play these days, on a tactical level--their World Cup team played some very, very attractive football. Surely that has something to do with the coaching. If we could look as solid as they tend to do, we would be much farther ahead.

Again, though, I don't think I'm really serious about Arena. I guess I'm just a little jealous of those Yanks these days...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

True, true. But I really like the way the Americans play these days, on a tactical level--their World Cup team played some very, very attractive football. Surely that has something to do with the coaching. If we could look as solid as they tend to do, we would be much farther ahead.

Again, though, I don't think I'm really serious about Arena. I guess I'm just a little jealous of those Yanks these days...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

One advantage the US has too is the relationship between the MLS and USSF, the former existing out of the largess of the latter. Every team in the MLS plays the US nats preferred style and there are never any problems getting players released. There is not another league in the world with that sort of cozy relationship with the national federation. And I am not criticisng that fact, since I think it is in the MLS's best interests to help grow american soccer.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Archived