Toronto Stadium

Mark

I haven't seen this posted here yet, but on Saturday in the Toronto Star their editorial supported the Toronto soccer/football/rugby stadium. It's good to see the stadium supported by the Star in this way.

http://www.thestar.ca/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1057961413452

Stadium dreams

Since Varsity Stadium was torn down, Toronto has lacked a facility that can be home to the vast array of sports that don't need the cavernous SkyDome and its 55,000-plus seats.

Recently, though, the Canadian Soccer Association has been promoting the idea of a 30,000-seat downtown stadium, either at Exhibition Place or the docklands. It would cost about $75 million and open in 2006 or 2007.

It is an excellent proposal that deserves serious consideration.

If Toronto can have a new opera hall and ballet school, and see costly renovations of the Royal Ontario Museum and Art Gallery of Ontario, then why not a new stadium for soccer, rugby, football and other sports?

Such a stadium could provide a venue for world soccer and rugby competition. The former has no field at all in Toronto with the demise of Varsity Stadium, and rugby takes place at Fletcher's Field in Markham, a decrepit facility that is an embarrassment for our national squad.

The Toronto Argonaut football team should welcome the idea. A smaller stadium could make the Argos a "hot ticket" once again. It worked in Montreal, where the fans are crazy about the Alouettes, who play out of 20,000-seat Molson Stadium at McGill University.

The stadium could also house both the Toronto Varsity Blues football team and the York Yeomen. Neither school has a decent field.

Exhibition Place would be the best site for the stadium. It has plenty of parking, good public transit, including GO, and is centrally located.

Eventually the docklands will be a vibrant spot, but for now it's a wasteland without public transit.

Ottawa, the province and city should help the private sector in making this dream a reality.

The Canadian Soccer Association has scheduled a news conference for July 21 in Toronto on its Toronto stadium plans. The CSA needs the federal and provincial government and Toronto Argonauts to commit money to the project, although companies have apparently already stepped up to discuss naming rights. The CSA is looking at a 25,000- to 30-000-seat stadium on the grounds of the CNE.

Quick mention in the Toronto Sun today as well following the Cuba preview:

STADIUM PLANS TO BE UNCOVERED: The Canadian Soccer Association has scheduled a news conference for July 21 regarding its Toronto stadium plans. The CSA needs the federal and provincial government and the CFL's Argonauts to commit money to the project, although companies have apparently already stepped up to discuss naming rights. The CSA is looking at a 25,000- to 30-000-seat stadium on the grounds of the CNE.

I like the idea of having the argos chipping in.....one thing i want the stadium to avoid, is having a track around it. That makes for having even the expensive seats really far from the action...

and i have a question regarding the womens team's games in ottawa....was the "feildturf" surface not too bad for soccer? they played england there and i know i've heard that it feel a lot like really grass when running on it.....anyone know of n e comments made by n e of the players in that game?

The CSA might just be able to get the Argos under their thumb.

Sherwood Schwartz is said to have lost up to $16 million since he took control of the team. A local group is looking to take majority control of the team.

It would help the Argos attendance-wise as well. They drew 14,089 tonight.

Sherwood Schwartz is said to have lost up to $16 million since he took control of the team. A local group is looking to take majority control of the team.

That's hilarious speculation. The CSA who haven't arranged a home game for the MNT since T & T at Varsity in May 2000 (I'm not counting WCQ later in the year, because the CSA simply couldn't shirk their responsibilities in hosting those matches.) I can't imagine the CSA having anybody or anything under their thumb.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

We want a game...in Canada!

Basing things on the MNT is bad.

The women would likely use the new stadium more than the women are. A stadium of such woudl be built for other sports as well but with soccer mainly in mind.

quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

That's hilarious speculation. The CSA who haven't arranged a home game for the MNT since T & T at Varsity in May 2000 (I'm not counting WCQ later in the year, because the CSA simply couldn't shirk their responsibilities in hosting those matches.) I can't imagine the CSA having anybody or anything under their thumb.

Blair

We want a game...in Canada!

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Thats a reason a new stadium should be built in a city which supports what they have now. Why reward a city that won't support it's local teams?

"As nothing in this life that I've been trying

could equal or surpass the art of dying"-George Harrison

Well might be bit hard to get Argos on board for a new stadium outside of Toronto but hey, that "local support" quote could well explain why BC hasnt had many new stadia lately too. Grizzlies anyone ? (Yes i know the Canucks home is relatively new but its not as nice as the ACC now is it ? nor sold out as often)

Still its amazing when earlier in the thread Mr G is so assured of his views on a city he lives 3000 odd km away from.

There will be a stadium at the Ex again oneday and it will be the Argos calling shots, CSA / Rugby Canada wont have a prayer especially if Mr Schwartz is involved. Argos might not be biggest fish in town but they'd swallow the CSA I bet

quote:

Thats a reason a new stadium should be built in a city which supports what they have now. Why reward a city that won't support it's local teams?

quote:Originally posted by madferrit

Well might be bit hard to get Argos on board for a new stadium outside of Toronto but hey, that "local support" quote could well explain why BC hasnt had many new stadia lately too. Grizzlies anyone ? (Yes i know the Canucks home is relatively new but its not as nice as the ACC now is it ? nor sold out as often)

Still its amazing when earlier in the thread Mr G is so assured of his views on a city he lives 3000 odd km away from.

There will be a stadium at the Ex again oneday and it will be the Argos calling shots, CSA / Rugby Canada wont have a prayer especially if Mr Schwartz is involved. Argos might not be biggest fish in town but they'd swallow the CSA I bet

Schwartz has angered enough people that their is a push to get him of at least majority control of the Argos. He even had to ask the CFL for an advance before traing camp started.

Sherwood Schwartz: All sizzle and no steak.

quote:Originally posted by madferrit

Actually I never said we deserve a new stadium in Vancouver. Where did I say that? I said they don't deserve a new stadium in Toronto. Put it in Halifax, or Quebec city, move the Argos there. Better yet, take the money that the CSA wants to put into a stadium in Toronto and build 3 or 4 5000-7000 seat stadiums in cities that need them. Calgary could use one. But it's nice of you to create a new user name just to respond.

Now I don't know why you bring up sports that are not played in outdoor stadiums, it should have been obvious we were talking about football and soccer (which would use the new stadium, duh) not hockey and basketball, but if you want to bring those others up:

What a dork? You bring up the Grizzlies? They didn't leave because they had no support, do some homework.

Secondly the Canucks? Sold out 37 of 41 games last year, without having to sell all of the corporate tickets like the leafs do. Once again do some homework.

Lions? Averaging 20500 this season, what did the argos get last game 14000? Pretty low considering the top team in the league was in town.

Whitecaps? Averaging 4078 this year, Toronto 2358 which is inflated by the noon "force all the kids to go to a game" days. Probably under 2000 without those days.

Try to think next time.

"As nothing in this life that I've been trying

could equal or surpass the art of dying"-George Harrison

Sign outside of Comonwealth Stadium: "Canada's National Soccer Stadium". Don't know if that is official, but it should be, at least until (if) a large and >appropriate< soccer stadium is built in TO or somewhere else.

Commonwealth will easily host the best attended soccer game in Canada this year(Canada vs. Mexico WNT friendly at the end of August). It has hosted the most successful soccer tournament in Canada (U-19's). It has hosted the most memorable game in Canada's history (vs Brazil, 1994). 60,000 seats, all good sight lines. Great, well-maintained natural, grass. So there's a track and that poorly administered international MNT tournament in the late 90's , nothing's perfect....

I really hope that the CSA has a hand in bringing about the building of an appropriate soccer venue in our largest city, we need it. It can even take the title. But, let's not lose track of the one jewel that we DO have. A bird in the hand.....

Actually the Argos averaged 2000 more per game than the BC lions last season, in a city that doesnt care about the team, but hey, neither team play outdoors either so they dont count according to your formula. The Argos also averaged more than the Alouettes, who have grand time in McGill with its smaller confines and open air. Point was Toronto supports its teams ok, no worse than anyone else, except for the local pro soccer team, which is not only a lousy organization but lousy stadium too.

PS When the canucks sell out for 50 odd years in a row then its a comparison, till then it aint even close... and that still leaves 324 empty nights a year, least the raptors bring that number down by another 40.

Someday, someway, someone is going to figure out the Southern Ontario/Toronto CFL market.

The television numbers for CFL football in southern Ontario are huge, and not just for Argonaught games. People well stay up to watch the western teams go at it. Go figure. Just got to figure out how to get all those ass' off the chesterfield and into the grandstands. Place the size of Toronto should be drawing big, big numbers. Don't know why. Skydome seems a nice enough park. Maybe sterile, but comfortable enough.

BC Place is just old and ugly. The sooner it's leveled the better. Build an open air facility, cover the grandstands and let the players put up with rain.

"Minority of one"

More lucrative is figuring out the Toronto Soccer Market. When you have a population of about 2.5 million of which half is born outside of Canada (and mostly not the USA), there has to be some soccer fans there. First step is a decent stadium, second is credibility for local teams.. How do you do that? The people who figure it out may not become fabulously wealthy; but, they will get my admiration.

hey Cheeta, i think i might be able to shed some light on the CFL high T.V. numbers, although it is not entirely the reason but the CFL is gaining more and more momentum with the average wagering junkie. I should know because i fall into that area. i am an Argos fan for the longest time of my life and attend many games each year but laying down a wager just makes the CFL just a little more interesting. How do you think the NFL became so popular and gained huge t.v. numbers, i mean the CFL has a more exciting product than the NFL (BY FAR!!!!) most NFL games, on their own, are simply a pure snore, again, unless you slap down a wager and things become more interesting. Also, people don't realize this too often, but, the CFL is much easier to make $$$$$$ than in the NFL wagering scene. Any F/T wagerer can tell you that.

hey Cheeta, i think i might be able to shed some light on the CFL high T.V. numbers, although it is not entirely the reason but the CFL is gaining more and more momentum with the average wagering junkie. I should know because i fall into that area. i am an Argos fan for the longest time of my life and attend many games each year but laying down a wager just makes the CFL just a little more interesting. How do you think the NFL became so popular and gained huge t.v. numbers, i mean the CFL has a more exciting product than the NFL (BY FAR!!!!) most NFL games, on their own, are simply a pure snore, again, unless you slap down a wager and things become more interesting. Also, people don't realize this too often, but, the CFL is much easier to make $$$$$$ than in the NFL wagering scene. Any F/T wagerer can tell you that.

PS - i forgot to add that it is ironic, that the CFL was conceived at an Argos game but the stadium was designed more so for baseball and very poorly for football/soccer specs.

If you look at the baseball seating at the corner foul pole areas, those are literally blocked by the stands as they move into the football setup. the 5th level, you lose portions of the field and if a pass is thrown into those areas, there is no way of knowing what the outcome of the play is.

The sound is alright for football, although the Argos avg. below 20,000, their partisans are much more louder than the baseball fans w/o any comparison and defintely more louder than the Maple Leafs CORPORATE fans.

PS - i forgot to add that it is ironic, that the CFL was conceived at an Argos game but the stadium was designed more so for baseball and very poorly for football/soccer specs.

If you look at the baseball seating at the corner foul pole areas, those are literally blocked by the stands as they move into the football setup. the 5th level, you lose portions of the field and if a pass is thrown into those areas, there is no way of knowing what the outcome of the play is.

The sound is alright for football, although the Argos avg. below 20,000, their partisans are much more louder than the baseball fans w/o any comparison and defintely more louder than the Maple Leafs CORPORATE fans.

What's the proposal of either the Argos or the CSA or others as to natural grass versus fieldturf for the proposed stadia?

After watching what appeared to me to be poor ball "bouncing" at Frank Clair (as well as the visual abortion), I think that we should avoid this. Surely natural grass can be sold for any sport, especially given the trend towards "traditional stadia".

Not only are we going to have practical problems in the future, we will find, I believe that we will have trouble getting opposition for home friendlies or for being awarded any tournaments like the WYC or the WWC.

Don't confuse a current FIFA policy of allowing specific approval of some WCQ's on artificial turf where there are no reasonable alternatives with wholesale acceptance in international soccer.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

What's the proposal of either the Argos or the CSA or others as to natural grass versus fieldturf for the proposed stadia?

After watching what appeared to me to be poor ball "bouncing" at Frank Clair (as well as the visual abortion), I think that we should avoid this. Surely natural grass can be sold for any sport, especially given the trend towards "traditional stadia".

Not only are we going to have practical problems in the future, we will find, I believe that we will have trouble getting opposition for home friendlies or for being awarded any tournaments like the WYC or the WWC.

Don't confuse a current FIFA policy of allowing specific approval of some WCQ's on artificial turf where there are no reasonable alternatives with wholesale acceptance in international soccer.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

Archived