A league president on Calgary Storm July8

RC

from Ed at storm watch. thanks for the info

Go Storm Go

David Askinas was interviewed for about 20 minutes or so tonight on QR77 and he will be meeting with various parties in Calgary to try to resolve things. He thinks highly of Calgary as a A-League city, citing the fact that we have had near decent crowds at times at what must be considered one of the worst venues in the league. He said that an A-League break even point is crowds at 3,000 or so (at the least). He said that improvements to the facility are an absolute must. He is also intent on bridging the gap that has been formed between the club and the various soccer governing bodies/clubs in the city. He says there is interest from several groups but is in no great rush to choose an ownership group at this time. Expect to hear of him coming to town after the Stampede as no business is done during that time. Ideally the situation will be resolved over the summer. The USL will carry the team definitely through to the end of this season.

I think I got the gist of it but if someone recalls otherwise, feel free to correct my impressions.

Since Calgary needs a new stadium how about they play out of Burns stadium? Three out of the top 4 drawing teams in the A-League play out of baseball stadiums so it's not unprecendented. It's not like the CBL is that stable either so who cares about what they have to say in the matter?

I like the idea of using Burns as well, but I've heard that the baseball bigwigs would fight any non-baseball incursion of the facility. It would be hard to justify this year, with the CBL Outlaws and the Calgary Dawgs both using it. I don't remember what league the Dawgs are in, but it's basically a baseball equivalent to the PDL, with its franchises on the prairies. The CBL and/or the Outlaws might not make it, but it sounds like the Dawgs will be viable.

However, if the stadium is viewed as being underused, the city may be willing to talk to a soccer club. Last year, I thought an empty Burns in 2003 would lead to the Storm being there in 2004. That has not been the case.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

How would they be able to fit a field into Burns stadium.

Just have collapsible fences. One end is alongside the 3rd base line, the sideline along the first base line.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

How would they be able to fit a field into Burns stadium.

However they do it in other baseball stadiums such as in Syracuse, Rochester and Portland.

Even if the field has to be small it couldn't be any smaller than it is now at Foothills.

"As nothing in this life that I've been trying

could equal or surpass the art of dying"-George Harrison

Archived