Will there be any Voyageurs travelling to Boston?

I think they are...I shipped out the banners to them last week...If all goes right, there should be quite a few people there. They had their own Yahoo group for that though. I think Gianluca and others could fill you in on the details and numbers better.

Reza

You guys seem organised.It is inspiring to see that even a small group can get pumped up for this event.You are all very loyal and dedicated.I wish I could have joined you.I hope that we could have a group 10 times in numbers for the next home game which will probably be in Edmonton in spring 2004.

Are there any Maritimers on this board?

I find it disappointing that no one from that part of the country is going to Boston. I guess there isn't that much interest for the sport on the East Coast.

We should play a WCQ over there to get people on board...what do you guys think?

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

Then where is the love? Come on New Brunswick, New Scotland, P.E.I. and Newfoundland! Stand up and be heard! :)

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

We bought a cow bell today...we figure if there's a Canadian sports fan sound, it's the cow bell. Curling and hockey rinks across the nation are always filled the din of the cow bell. Besides, it shows solidarity with our compatriots in Alberta! What Mad Cow? I'm the mad-freaking cow...or is that my buddie's mom?

Anyway, we'll be making some noise, so be listening for us on TV!!!!

Mimglow, Ottawa

There should be about 30 Voyageurs (and relations) at the Costa Rica match, with about 25 in the "Canada" section behind the south goal. A few people decided to purchase tickets in a different part of the stadium. There are two cars coming down from Ottawa, 6 from Toronto, 1 from Winnipeg and (we hope, believe & understand) 1 from Saskatchewan. Its too bad we weren't able to get anyone from Quebec, that would have been cool. We also have 1 local (Canuck in Boston) & 1 overseas Voyaguer(N-A, from Northampton in England) coming down. There's going to be a Canadian tail-gate party of sorts on the day of the Costa Rica game, a couple of hours before the match starts. I hope somebody remembers to bring a camera, as it will be nice to get some good photos of a large group of us for once.

A number of people are only able to make the first game, so the group will be cut in half (approx.) for the Cuba match. Hopefully we meet & discover a whole slew of other dedicated Canuck fans down there.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Gian-Luca, Jérôme is bringing down 2 cameras, so there should be no problem at all taking pictures...we'll have plenty of them... I just wish I had a laptop because I could post a Gold Cup diary from Boston. It wouldn't be as interesting as a player diary, but it would give everyone an idea of what it's like to be down there...

And Jérôme is from Quebec City originally, now lives in Gatineau. Not as impressive as saying he's from Baie-Comeau or something, but it's still Quebec. Besides, Jérôme, Bruce and I are representing the francos, as we're all francophone (Bruce and I are Franco-Ontarian).

Mimglow, Ottawa

Have you guys talked about what you'll be wearing at the game?You might have a better chance of getting on tv if everyone is wearing the same color.For example if you all decide to wear the new red kits and only a few of you can afford to actually own one maybe the rest can wear plain red t shirts.I think if you all have red on in makes more of a presence in the stadium.I know it is better to be heard than seen but if casual fans watch a good contingent of Canadians travelling to see Canada for a road game it can spark some interest in the team back home.

Just a thought.

Any of us travelling to Boston for the games should read this carefully...very strange rules in here (detachable lenses on cameras??? Why the heck not???):

http://www.gillettestadium.com/stadium_information/prohibited_items.asp

Mimglow, Ottawa

Thanks - nice to know we'll have at least one person from Quebec (ie. still living there) in the group. There is also Free Kick, who used to live in Montreal, but as he now lives in Toronto I was counting him as part of the Toronto contingent.

If you want to get technical we could also mention that Grasshopper & DT Ultras are originally from Alberta, to extend our reach from Alberta to Quebec, but now we're pushing it. :)

We are going to have to be at our most vocal, as we will be outnumbered by opposition fans once again, with at least 3 bus-loads of Costa Rican fans coming from New Jersey alone.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Have you guys talked about what you'll be wearing at the game?You might have a better chance of getting on tv if everyone is wearing the same color.For example if you all decide to wear the new red kits and only a few of you can afford to actually own one maybe the rest can wear plain red t shirts.I think if you all have red on in makes more of a presence in the stadium.I know it is better to be heard than seen but if casual fans watch a good contingent of Canadians travelling to see Canada for a road game it can spark some interest in the team back home.

Just a thought.

Most of the group going only have 1 Canada jersey & will probably be wearing it. I figure that Canada will be wearing white against Costa Rica & red against Cuba, so I plan to wear my white jersey saturday & the red on Monday. Of course we'll have lots of flags & an added bonus, the Voyageurs banner (which I didn't even know about until today).

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Just a thought.

Most of the group going only have 1 Canada jersey & will probably be wearing it. I figure that Canada will be wearing white against Costa Rica & red against Cuba, so I plan to wear my white jersey saturday & the red on Monday. Of course we'll have lots of flags & an added bonus, the Voyageurs banner (which I didn't even know about until today).

Regarding the rules of the stadium, is a cow bell a noise-maker?

Mimglow, Ottawa

Mimglow, Ottawa

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Any of us travelling to Boston for the games should read this carefully...very strange rules in here (detachable lenses on cameras??? Why the heck not???):

My understanding is that they don't want you to bring anything into the stadium that might be used as a projectile on to the field, and I guess they figure camera lenses could be used for such purpose. Obviously if you bring a camera with a detachable lens, the first thing you are going to think of doing is chucking the lens onto the field, that way you can never use it again. ;)[?][xx(] Seems unlikely I know, but that's the only thing I can think of. I am wondering if they will let me bring in my detachable car stereo face (which I'd prefer not to leave in the car), which I'm obviously not going to chuck on to the field since I'd like to listen to something on the 10-hour trip back home. [:o)] If my hotel is close enough to the stadium I might even consider just walking from the hotel.

Apparently the security at Gillette is nuts, if you throw anything on to the field (even streamers - someone warn Mirza) you are ejected for the rest of the tripleheader & all of the subsequent double-headers.

My understanding is that they don't want you to bring anything into the stadium that might be used as a projectile on to the field, and I guess they figure camera lenses could be used for such purpose. Obviously if you bring a camera with a detachable lens, the first thing you are going to think of doing is chucking the lens onto the field, that way you can never use it again. ;)[?][xx(] Seems unlikely I know, but that's the only thing I can think of. I am wondering if they will let me bring in my detachable car stereo face (which I'd prefer not to leave in the car), which I'm obviously not going to chuck on to the field since I'd like to listen to something on the 10-hour trip back home. [:o)] If my hotel is close enough to the stadium I might even consider just walking from the hotel.

Apparently the security at Gillette is nuts, if you throw anything on to the field (even streamers - someone warn Mirza) you are ejected for the rest of the tripleheader & all of the subsequent double-headers.

The problem with their rules is that anything can be considered a "noise-maker" - its a ridiculous wide "catch-all" clause. What the situation is in reality I do not know. There are a number of drums, horns & trumpets coming down from Toronto, we're just going to have to see if they let this stuff in, and if not, be prepared to put it back into your car. At the very least we can use it for the tail-gate party. Remember, once you leave the stadium, you can't re-enter.

By the way, apparently the US fans are also doing a tail-gate party starting at 11am as well, but on the west-side of the stadium.

The problem with their rules is that anything can be considered a "noise-maker" - its a ridiculous wide "catch-all" clause. What the situation is in reality I do not know. There are a number of drums, horns & trumpets coming down from Toronto, we're just going to have to see if they let this stuff in, and if not, be prepared to put it back into your car. At the very least we can use it for the tail-gate party. Remember, once you leave the stadium, you can't re-enter.

By the way, apparently the US fans are also doing a tail-gate party starting at 11am as well, but on the west-side of the stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

My guess about the detachable lens cameras is that they dont want anyone taking high quality pics without press authorization.

As for noise makers, Sean e-mailed Gillette Stadium about the drum issue whether we'd be able to get them into the stadium.

"Half of what I say is bull****, the other half are the most important things you will ever hear." Nicky Wire

My guess about the detachable lens cameras is that they dont want anyone taking high quality pics without press authorization.

As for noise makers, Sean e-mailed Gillette Stadium about the drum issue whether we'd be able to get them into the stadium.

"Half of what I say is bull****, the other half are the most important things you will ever hear." Nicky Wire

The problem with their rules is that anything can be considered a "noise-maker" - its a ridiculous wide "catch-all" clause.

Yeah, they might want to put duct tape over everyone's mouth.

quote:Originally posted by Ryan Keay

Here is their response:

"Hi, if the drum has a clear skin so security can see through it, it is fine to bring into the stadium

Enjoy the game!"

So basically it looks as though anything that security can inspect easily will be allowed in, anything else is a no go. Id email the stadium though in case for anything else. Either way this means the old Fener drum is out, and only the new Mirza drum is legal (as it has skin only on one side).

Right, well the Drewsome drumstick will probably make the trip anyway, as there is room for it in the car & we still might use it. I'm leaving tomorrow morning, see you all down there this weekend!

Archived