Alen Marcina in Turkey

This afternoon I confirmed with a member of the Ottawa Wizards coaching staff that Alen Marcina is in fact in Turkey for a tryout with 4 or 5 Turkish clubs. I will be in contact with that staff member for any updates.

He also let me know that there will be a contingent of Turkish scouts who will pay the Ottawa Wizards a visit to see if there is any other talent they might want to snatch.

For a profile on Alen Marcina: http://www.ottawawizards.com/Wizards/wiz-mainframes.htm

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

I don't know, but he is from Vancouver. The owner of the Wizards is Turkish.

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the latest on Alen Marcina's tryout in Europe:

He unsuccessfully tried out for 5 Turkish clubs: Samsumspor, Istanbulspor, Malatyaspor, Ankaragucu and Adanaspor in the Turkish Super League.

He also tried out for a couple German clubs, and while trying out for Club Brugge he scored both goal in a 2-0 exhibition match win (for the reserve team).

He is due back in Ottawa on Saturday. I expect that he will be given some time to wind down before resuming play with the Wizards.

Mimglow, Ottawa

P.S. Please not that the Wizards are playing on Saturday, July 26 at 4pm at Oz Optics Stadium. It would be nice to get a nice crowd out following their successful road trip!

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

Alen Marcina is doing well and has been all over Europe with his trials. He went over with an agent who watched him play while he was in College at Barry University. The agent was a former coach who retired and now scouts players in the US. I talked to Alen and he is doing well and hopefully things will work out for him and get a big time club in Europe that will pick him up. Also the Ottawa Wizards have been putting together an aggressive campaign to get more fans and media support. Not just for them but for soccer in general. The large crowd for the national team shows Ottawa is a soccer town!

quote:Originally posted by socfan1

Alen Marcina is doing well and has been all over Europe with his trials. He went over with an agent who watched him play while he was in College at Barry University. The agent was a former coach who retired and now scouts players in the US. I talked to Alen and he is doing well and hopefully things will work out for him and get a big time club in Europe that will pick him up. Also the Ottawa Wizards have been putting together an aggressive campaign to get more fans and media support. Not just for them but for soccer in general. The large crowd for the national team shows Ottawa is a soccer town!

What the latest word on Ottawa Wizzards' prospects in joining the A-League now that Hamilton Thunder has made an unofficial announcement.

I guess the future of the Ottawa Wizards and the A league depends on fans. The owner will spend the money to go to higher levels but to go to the A league we need at least 2500-3000 fans per game. Once we sell out at our stadium we will move downtown to a bigger facility. But currently our owner has his own facility it does no good to rent a stadium downtown for $2000 or so and not have enough fans to cover expenses. Our team is good enough now we just need to get a couple things in order and then we are A league bound.

Archived