Field for 2004 Cup of African Nations

DoyleG

This is the field set for the 2004 Cup of African Nations in Tunisia.

Cameroon (holders)

Tunisia (hosts)

Nigeria

Guinea

Benin*

Burkina Faso

Kenya

Mali

Morocco

Senegal

DR Congo

Egypt

South Africa

Algeria

Rwanda*

Zimbabwe* (best runners-up)

* competing for the first time.

Nice. Ottawa Wizards fans will be able to cheer on Urbain Some and Sa Brahima Traore who play for Burkina Faso!

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Nice. Ottawa Wizards fans will be able to cheer on Urbain Some and Sa Brahima Traore who play for Burkina Faso!

I don't think they play for the Burkinabe senior national team.

Nice to see that three countries have qualified for the first time (though I'm surprised that Zimbabwe has not qualified before). And Benin, here's a country not many people have even heard of. Last time around it was Togo, which is located right next to Benin.

Yup, they do...they had trouble getting there for the qualifiers because of the SARS scare (in fact, they were not able to enter the country).

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

Guest Jeffery S.

Surprise missing is Ghana.

I am pleasantly surprised as well by the results I see from Africa on international wire services. The scorelines are usually very tight, suggesting a good overall level of play and relatively few minnows as well. Almost everyone is competitive. All we are missing really is for one, just one, African nation to really emerge as a definitive power for more than half a decade and take the World Cup. I'd love to see it. Cameroon anyone?

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

I hope TV5 will broadcast the tournament again. I had never seen very much of African football before the last African Nations' Cup in Mali (other than the WC of course) and really enjoyed the opportunity to watch it (although I hope there are more goals next time around).

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Yup, they do...they had trouble getting there for the qualifiers because of the SARS scare (in fact, they were not able to enter the country).

Then why isn't this on their bios on Ottawa's Web site? The two players from Malawi are clearly identified as national team players while the two from Burkina Faso are not. One of them is listed as a Burkina Faso youth team member while the other's bio is completely blank.

I'm not doubting you but I am wondering if you are getting confused with the Malawi players. I recall the reports about them not being able to get into Malawi because of SARS (http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=105) but I don't recall any such reports on the Burkina Faso players.

You may be right, I must be confusing the two...

In my mind Traore and Some were full internationals, but I must have assumed...

Mimglow, Ottawa

What I find amazing is that France have taken Senegal's best player (Vieira) and Senegal was still able to beat them last year in the WC.

Senegal will win this tourney for sure.

FORZA FEYENOORD!!!!

Amstel Cup Finalists 2002-2003

3rd place in Eredivisie 2002-2003

2001-2002 UEFA Cup winners

A funny thing is that the coach for Benin start the CANQ's as the coach of his native Ghana. He got dumped by the Black Stars for poor results.

Now this coach is going on with Benin while Ghan sits on the outside looking in.

Archived