Women's U19 Development Team European tour [R]

Women's Under-19 Development Team

Thursday, July 03, 2003

Bridge Announces Roster For Europe

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1321

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s (U-19) Women’s Team Head Coach Ian Bridge announced his 19-player roster that will travel to Europe to play four games including a friendly against Italy and two friendlies against Germany.

The team will arrive in Rome, Italy on July 5th and play a friendly against Italy on July 8th before leaving for Barsinghausen, Germany on July 10th. The team will play their next game against Hamburg SV on Sunday, July 13th and two friendlies against Germany on Tuesday, July 15th and Thursday, July 17th before returning on Friday, July 18th.

The team includes three players who have earned caps with the World Cup team: Carmelina Moscato of Mississauga, Ontario and Clare Rustad of Saltspring Island, British Columbia and Veronique Maranda of Saint-Lambert, Quebec.

"I am looking forward to these games in Europe. We will be playing strong teams who are preparing for the UEFA U-19 Championships later this month, and also the National ‘A’ Team of Italy as they prepare for an important UEFA Championship qualifying game against Finland. The players will face both on the off the field challenges on this tour and this is another step in their soccer education,” said Bridge.

Recently, Moscato and Rustad each received a grant from the Pure Determination Fund, an initiative of the Dairy Farmers of Canada in partnership with the Canadian Olympic Committee awarded to promising athletes pursuing their Olympic dreams.

Game schedule

Tuesday, July 8

6:00pm – Canada vs. Italy

Rome, Italy

Sunday, July 13th

2:00pm – Canada vs. Hamburg SV

Tuesday, July 15

6:00pm – Canada vs. Germany

Gifhorm, Germany

Thursday, July 17

Rotenburg an der Wumme

Roster

Name DOB Home town Club/training centre Prov P

Melissa Amado 30/04/85 Surrey S.B.A.A. BC F

Josee Belanger 14/05/86 Coaticook Montreal QC F

Lisa Collison 02/09/86 Nigara Falls Burlington flames ON F

Robyn Gayle 31/10/85 Mississauga Ontario ON D

Myriam Gousse 23/05/85 Brossardl Montreal QC M

Selenia Iacchelli 5/6/86 Edmonton Raiders AB M

Jillian Carruthers 01/08/85 Saskatoon Eastside Athletics SK GK

Kathleen Johnston 23/03/85 Sudbury Sudbury Canadians ON M

Katie Radchuck 2/27/86 Halifax N/A NS F

Stephanie Labbe 10/10/86 Edmonton Millwoods Warriors AB GK

Justine Labrecque 2/7/87 Laval Laval QC D

Holly Lincoln 23/06/85 Scarborough Scarborough United ON D

Veronique Maranda 18/08/86 Saint-Lambert FC Select Rive-sud QC M

Donna Mataya 19/08/85 Edmonton Southwest United AB M

Carmelina Moscato 5/2/84 Mississauga Vancouver Whitecaps ON M

Leigh Quinlan 7/27/87 Victoria Lower Island Metro BC F

Sari Raber 1/1/86 Richmond Vancouver BC M

Clare Rustad 5/27/83 Saltspring Island Whitecaps/U of Wash. BC D

Katie Thorlakson 14/01/85 Notre Dame U of Notre Dame BC F

Staff:

Ian Bridge, Head Coach

Bob Birarda, Assistant coach

Lyonel Joseph, GK/Assistant coach

Erin Perry, Athletic Therapist

France Noel de Tilly, Doctor

Mike Traficante, Head of Delegation

Anne Pellerud, Manager

-------------------------

"I'm gonna fight 'em off,

A seven nation army couldn't hold me back..."

The White Stripes

Guest Jeffery S.

Anne Pellerud as team manager?

Is that his wife? Is that the way the CSA lets her travel with her hubby?

Is that right?

I think we saw that Holger's son has some post in Saskatchewan. At least it is not CSA.

I do recall someone complaining about a certain Mike Vandale travelling with youth teams as well. That didn't sound right either.

Good luck to the team.

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

I know nothing of the situation, but as a father of a once high performance teenage athlete (I won't say which sport), I did a lot of running around in foreign countries on my holidays, with some of my expenses covered by sharing accomodation. It was necessary, as there is a lot of running around doing necessary things that has to be done, and we are talking about teenagers that sometimes need a steady hand. I think we should approach it from this angle, ask the questions yes, but be understanding.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

anne is even's wife...and she's been working for the CSA since they moved from norway with their family (they have two cute twins!!!). anne herself was a women's soccer player when she was younger in norway, and has background in managing teams back home etc., so it's not a foreign job for her etc.

elaine

----

Go Big Red!!

http://www.gobigred.ca

Everything you need to know about Canadian Women's Soccer!!

It's good to have some women as part of the staff, the girls can relate to her more than the men on the staff. I don't think there's anything wrong with her working with the team.

"I'm gonna fight 'em off,

A seven nation army couldn't hold me back..."

The White Stripes

Yes Anne is Even's wife - so what.

She does a great job managing the women's youth teams. She has done it for a few years now. My daughter has had the privilege to be part of the teams that she manages, as recently as Texas in May, and speaks very highly of her. Unfortunately, she is not part of the group in Europe at the moment but looks forward to working with her again.

She does not 'have to be there', and this is not a 'token' job, it is her job and remember this is Ian's team not Even's. I'm sure that he is home being a Daddy, just as when he is gone she looks after the girls.

Where's Vaillancourt? I was impressed with her in the last U-19 World Cup. I hope she's still in the pool for the next one.

Aren't both Rustad and Moscato over-age? Are we allowed a certain number of over-age players?

BTW, some of the DOBs are given in D/M/Y and others are M/D/Y. Somebody should proofread these PRs before the CSA sends them out.

quote:Originally posted by Chet

BTW, some of the DOBs are given in D/M/Y and others are M/D/Y. Somebody should proofread these PRs before the CSA sends them out.

It's kinda creepy that you caught that, Chet! [:P]

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think we saw that Holger's son has some post in Saskatchewan. At least it is not CSA.

He took over as executive director of the Saskatchewan Soccer Association. I am pretty sure that he would have won it on merit rather than connection. Here is an excerpt from the SSA Press Release.

"Rob Newman, President of the Saskatchewan Soccer Association, is pleased to announce that Bjorn Osieck has assumed the position of Executive Director of the Association effective June 2nd.

Mr.Osieck holds a BBA degree from the Schulich School of Business and also the Sport Administration Certificate from York University/ Toronto. Prior to coming to Regina, he worked with various organizations in German Soccer and was also employed by IMG Canada at its Toronto office.

The SSA wishes Mr.Osieck all the best of success in this new position."

Its sparce on details for sure. But it is more of an adminstrative position so it appears his credentials are decent enough. The organization does have both a Technical Director and a High Performance Director.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

The first result from Tuesday, July 8:

Italy 7 Canada 1

Keep in mind that this was Italy's full national team (preparing for a European championship qualifying match against Finland coming up on July 19) while it was Canada's U19 Development team.

The extremely brief Italian report says only that Canada was "strong physically" while Italy experimented with various formations.

You mean to tell me the under-19's scored a goal against the Senior Int'l Italian team? Buffon? Del Piero, etc?

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

Hey Mimglow - It may be me that hasn't woke up yet because I'm getting conflicting reports as to which Italian team it was. I'm thinking you may be right. I know we had three or four typical starters missing for our u19 team - lang, vanboxmeer, dennis and timko and we had a few over age players as well and I don't know that they would have played the overage players if it was u19 vs u19 - anyone else able to shed some light on this....

quote:Originally posted by canuck

Hey Mimglow - It may be me that hasn't woke up yet because I'm getting conflicting reports as to which Italian team it was. I'm thinking you may be right.

mimglow was referring to the italian sr. MENS team (del piero and buffon etc.)

i think it's the italian sr. women's team...the names of the goal scorers are names i recognize from the sr. team etc. and UEFA qualifying for european women's team begins soon for those non-wwc teams. (like italy)

also, the sr. team is coached by caroline morace (the michelle akers of italian women's football...she actually with elisabetta vignotto held the world record of int'l goals scored before mia hamm shattered it in 1999...) and i think the u19 team is coached by somebody else (name slips me, but it's not morace...)

elaine

----

Go Big Red!!

http://www.gobigred.ca

Everything you need to know about Canadian Women's Soccer!!

The U-19's are going through a rebuilding with so many of last year's team having moved on (some prematurely, in a good way that is). Last year's team could have beaten the Itln senior side, I'm sure of it. And this team will be able to do it next year. This is a positive development.

Keep at 'er ladies, we're proud of you! And, have fun in Germany!

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

I'm not sure what all the confusion is about. First of all, the CSA release posted at the top of this thread clearly says that we would be playing the "National ‘A’ Team of Italy", which means it's the full national team (ie. not a youth team). Second, when I said it was the full national team I didn't just take a guess, I read the Italian pre- and post-match reports.

Anyway, here is the CSA's report (FYI, Zorri and Panico are Lazio players :D;)):

Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Canada Falls 7-1 To Italy

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s (U-19) Women’s Development Team was defeated 7-1 by the Italian National Women’s ‘A’ team on Tuesday, July 8 in Rome, Italy.

Italy scored five unanswered goals in the first half. Italian captain Rita Guarino opened the scoring in the 10th minute and scored again in the 27th minute. Tatiana Zorri scored Italy’s second goal on a penalty shot in the 15th minute and also scored a second in the 44th minute. Italy’s other goal of the first half was scored by Chiara Gazzoli in the 33rd minute.

Canada returned in the first half with a missed penalty shot by Clare Rustad in the 56th minute.

Canada’s Selinia Iacchelli of Edmonton, Alberta scored the first goal of the second half in the 76th minute before Italy returned to score two quick goals in the 86th and 87th minute.

“This game was a great experience against a top senior European team and we had several great individual performances,” said Head Coach Ian Bridge. “We played with great team shape and a fighting spirit.”

“The second half, with a 2-1 score line including a missed penalty shot was the best ever 45 minutes the team has played. The difference at the end of the game was the efficiency of Italy’s finishing,” added Bridge.

Canada’s next scheduled game is in Germany against Hamburg SV on Sunday, July 13th.

Game schedule

Sunday, July 13th

2:00pm – Canada vs. Hamburg SV

Tuesday, July 15

Gifhorm, Germany

Thursday, July 17

Rotenburg an der Wumme

July 8, 2003 – Exhibition

Rome, Italy

Canada 1 (0)

Italy 7 (5)

Goals: Canada - Selinia Iacchelli (76)

Canada: 1-Stephanie Labbee; 2-Katie Radchuck; 3- Myriam Gousse; 4-Robyn Gayle (12-Lisa Collison, 42); 5-Holly Lincoln; 6-Kathleen Johnston; 7-Selenia Iacchelli; 8-Clare Rustad; 9-Josee Belanger; 10-Carmelina Moscato; 11-Katie Thorlakson (15-Leigh Quinlan, 69); Head Coach – Ian Bridge

Sunday, July 13, 2003

Hamburg SV Defeat Canada 6:1

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s (U-19) Women’s Development Team were defeated 6-1 by Hamburg SV on Sunday, July 13th in Barsinghausen, Germany.

Canada’s only goal was scored by Lisa Collison of Nigara Falls, Ontario in the 25th minute. Three minutes later, Hamburg scored to tie and continued with two more unanswered goals in the first half to lead 3-1 at the half.

Hamburg continued in the second half with three more goals to defeat Canada 6-1.

"We played 25 minutes of high level, high pressure soccer at the start of the game and deserved to be up 1-0 from Collison´s excellent goal. Then a series of big mistakes, combined with physical and mental fatigue allowed Hamburg to score 3 goals on their only 3 goal chances of the first half,” said Head Coach Ian Bridge. “The players are struggling right now, learning a new system that is challenging the limits of their abilities. But with more high level games, and more training, the team will get through this tough period of their development."

Canada’s next scheduled game is in Germany against Germany on Tuesday, July 15th in Gifhorm, Germany.

Game schedule

Tuesday, July 15

Gifhorm, Germany

Thursday, July 17

Rotenburg an der Wumme

July 13, 2003 – Exhibition

Barsinghausen, Germany

Canada - 1

Hamburg SV - 6

Goals: Canada – Lisa Collison (25); Hamburg SV – (28), (41), (43), (51), (53), (70)

Canada: Stephanie Labbee; Katie Radchuck; Justine Lebrecque; Clare Rustad; Holly Lincoln; Robyn Gayle (Myriam Gousse, 46); Selenia Iachelli; Kathleen Johnston; Sari Raber (Leigh Quinlan, 46); Katie Thorlakson; Lisa Collison; Head Coach – Ian Bridge

I think when you have a player like Justine Labreque playing 90 minutes in the back (she turned 16 years old on July 2) there will rookie mistakes. Today's game against the German u19 squad will give us a better idea of where we are going. The germans have a great website in english check it out at www.dfb.de.

Steve

Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Germany Doubles Canada 2:1

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1355

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s (U-19) Women’s Development Team were defeated 2-1 by Germany on Tuesday, July 15th in Gifhorn, Germany.

Germany was first on the scoreboard when Karoline Thomas beat Canadian goalkeeper Stephanie Labbe in the 14th minute. Germany increased their lead with a goal by Shelley Thompson in the 20th minute.

Lisa Collison of Niagara Falls who scored Canada’s only goal in the last game against Hamburg SV on Sunday once again scored Canada’s only goal on a penalty kick in the 31st minute.

Both teams were unable to score in the second half.

"It was great tactical game for the team tonight. We made almost no mistakes defensively and the team followed the game plan for 90 minutes,” said Head Coach Ian Bridge. “Although we started the game in a very defensive formation, as the game progressed we grew in confidence and produced several goal chances. I am very proud of this young team tonight.”

Canada’s last scheduled game for this camp is against Germany on Thursday, July 17th in Rotenburg an der Wumme, Germany.

Game schedule

Thursday, July 17

Rotenburg an der Wumme

July 15, 2003 – Friendly

Gifhorn, Germany

Canada 1(1)

Germany 2(2)

Goals: Canada – Lisa Collison (31); Germany – Thomas (14), Thompson (20)

Cautions: Canada – Gousse (38), Gayle (48), Moscato (65)

Canada: 1-Stephanie Labbee; 2-Katie Radchuck; 3-Myriam Gousse ((15- Justine Lebrecque,45) (14-Leigh Quinlan, 87)); 4-Holloy KLincoln; 5-Robyn Gayle; 6-Kathleen Johnston; 7-Josee Belanger (12-Selinia Iacchelli, 80);8-Clare Rustad ©; 9-Lisa Collison; 10-Carmelina Moscato (13-Sari Raber, 84); 11-Katie Thorlakson; Head Coach – Ian Bridge

"We suffer everyday, what is it for

These crimes of illusion, are fooling us all

And now I am weary and I feel like I do..."

Only You - Portishead

Archived