July 4 - Rochester vs. Toronto [R]

DJT

Guest Jeffery S.

Am listening thanks. Is this one of those Can-Am Cup games?

Can I give a score on this, don't see why not. 1-1 draw in early 1st half (m. 12), Lynx scored early (m. 4) but haven't heard who as I came in late.

Sure is nice to hear some ball during late night translating.

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Am listening thanks. Is this one of those Can-Am Cup games?

No, not a Can-Am Cup game. But Syracuse vs. Montreal is being played right now and it is a Can-Am Cup game (see other thread). Sunday's Toronto vs. Rochester is a Can-Am Cup game.

quote:Can I give a score on this, don't see why not. 1-1 draw in early 1st half (m. 12), Lynx scored early (m. 4) but haven't heard who as I came in late.
I missed the first 20 minutes. I think Barclay got Toronto's goal.

As has been mentioned before, the soccer-field-over-the-baseball-diamond looks awful.

Halftime:

Rochester 3 Toronto 1

TOR Sebastian Barclay 4'

ROC Viktor Paco 10'

ROC Doug Miller 43'

ROC Bill Sedgewick 45'

The Lynx fell apart a bit at the end of the half. In addition to the goals there was also a glorious chance in front of the goal that Paco put wide and a breakaway called offside (didn't see a replay, but I think it was close).

Final:

Rochester 6 Toronto 1

TOR Sebastian Barclay 4'

ROC Viktor Paco 10'

ROC Doug Miller 43'

ROC Bill Sedgewick 45'

ROC Fred Commodore 67'

ROC Fred Commodore 70'

ROC Fred Commodore 82'

Well, on the positive side, Ngon looked good, always working hard and doing something when he got the ball. Unfortunately the FSW announcers referred to him as Cameroonian (that's twice in one week!), and pronounced his name something like "goon".

Of course, those announcers didn't know what the hell they were talking about. They said that Toronto is the dominant soccer city in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I didn't see the match, but it sounds like the bubble burst.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Pretty entertaining match in the first half at least. Don't know how you play a ground game in the infield at Rochester's park. Thank God they are building a new one.

After seeing the Lynx here in Calgary and watching the game last night, I would say Ali Ngon is back big time. Playing as a lone striker in both games, he showed me plenty. Hope he continues to develop as he is prime material for our men's team down the road.

They are building a new park in Rochester? That's good news. I didn't know that. After all the negative comments on this board about the "baseball" field in Rachastah, nice to heat that it won't be long before the flagship club of the A-League has a new stadium. Will it be soccer-specific?

Mimglow, Ottawa

These are the days when our work has come asunder

And these are the days when we look for something other

It was plain ugly after the first 25 min or so. Barclay got the goal when the Whinos defender misplayed a Lynx cross over and rebounded off of his chest and Barclay was standing there and slotted it into the top hand corner (nice shot). Zagar was playing stellar but literally self-destructed. Too many defensive breakdowns and you cannot have a midfield like Ashton, DiPlacido, Vignevic and Hughes up against a strong opponent such as the Whinos. Midfield was NON-EXISTENT and Robbie was pretty much ineffective and got subbed out. The Whinos just clicked the rest of the way. [xx(]

oh i forgot, Ali Ngon was the ONLY dominant player for the Lynx but was seriously showed by Demmin all night long, it looked like he was piggy back at one point (thats how attached he close he was). Yes, Ali GOON???????? was the way the way his name was pronounced.

I think Ali just needed some playing time to get himself back into game shape & get his timing back. The same thing may have to happen with Belotte.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Did I miss something Gian-Luca? Did Belotte sign somewhere?

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

No he hasn't as far as I know. But when he does, he is going to need a lot of playing time to get his timing back, the way Ngon did.

The first half was extremely entertaining. The two teams were evenly matched and both teams looked like they could score. While the score reflects poorly (understatement) on the Lynx, the first half showed tha that the team, givin some space (field size) can put together some realy nice bouts of possesion and are good on the attack.

Ngon (silly commentators, the annoying thing is that I was right beside Peter earlier in the day when he was on the phone with the Fox Sports World guys giving the line up and he specifically spelled Ali's name out, "N-G-O-N..Ngon". There is no excuse. Nor is there for thinking he was a Cameroon international) was very good, but so was Barclay I thought. He was effective on the wings and made alot happen. Not to mention a very good finish. I have no clue why Lucas consistently starts ahead of Barclay. Sebastian is the new Koijic. He's got an incredibly short temper. If he's not rolling around on the ground bitching about getting touched up, he's absolutely bowling over a poor defender. It's hilarious.

Two of the goals were the fault of Joey (just watched a through ball drift right by him) and Vincello (didn't mark his man tight enough, I guess a risk of the three man back line). Surprising, since these guys (especially Joey M) are usually faultless.

Anyways, a point tonight puts us in the Can-Am Cup finals (road trip to Montreal!) and keeps us in the playoff race. So let's not get to broken up about this one. See you Ultras tonight.

"Winning is most important. Everything is a consequence of that."

-Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)

Archived