Canada in the 2003 Daegu Summer Universiade

This will probably disappear under the mass of Gold Cup posts, and thus I should probably be posting this a month from now, but here goes....

Canada will field a men's and women's soccer squad at the 2003 Summer Universiade, an international competition of amateur university students between the ages of 18 to 28. It all takes place in Daegu, South Korea in the latter-half of August.

main_ad_04.gif

I will be going to the men's match against Iran on August 24 in my Canada kit, and will be bringing my airhorn and 3 flags (Canada, BC, and Vancouver). The "missus" will also be going (wearing the Canada flag), and several other Canucks here in Busan have already noted their intention to make the match.

daegu_wc.jpg

I hope to publicize this amongst all the many Canucks here in Korea. Pity footie wasn't our national sport, as we could have potentially drawn hundreds (if not thousands) given the large number of Canadians here in Korea.

Anyway, I've contacted the CSA for roster info and the sort, and I hope to be able to send you lads a match report and photos after the game.

Pity I didn't ever get that "Whitecaps on Tour" Canadian flag made up....

Wow. With all the Soccer events happening and about to happen these days, completely slipped my attention. Hope we acquit ourselves well.

I tried to dig up some quick information on this. The CSA website has nothing, so assume they are only peripherally involved, if at all. The CIS ("Canadian Interuniversity Sports", new name for CIAU) , I assume, is primarily responsible for putting teams together, but their website topic for this is full of blanks so far: http://www.cisport.ca/e/international/universiade/daegu_2003/team/index.htm#soccer .

Anybody got some information to share about this endeavour?

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

Just received a reply from the CIS:

Hi Devon,

Thanks for your e-mail. Good to hear we will have some supporters in Korea!

I will send you full rosters as soon as we get them, I believe the selection

for both teams are almost done.

Cheers!

Jean-François Rapatel

International & Events Assistant

Assistant à l'international et aux événements

Canadian Interuniversity Sport

Sport interuniversitaire canadien

801 ave. King Edward Ave.

Suite N205

Ottawa, ON, K1N 6N5

Tél: (613) 562-5670

Fax: (613) 562-5669

rapatel@universitysport.ca <mailto:rapatel@universitysport.ca>

Alright everyone,

We've got the men's roster, so let's start working on some song ideas! I realize most of you won't be present, but at least lend us a hand crafting some chants!

Hi Devon,

I just received the roster for the men's team, I will forward you the

women's team roster as soon as possible. Let me know if you require any

other information about the team.

Canada Men's Soccer Team

Pos/No Name - CIS University, Hometown/Prov

GK 1 Vince Lepiane - Brock, Niagara Falls ON.

GK 2 John (Jordan) Robinson - Victoria, Victoria BC.

SW 3 John Luigi Gallo - Brock, Niagara Falls ON.

D 4 Kwesi Treston Loney - Carleton, Ottawa ON.

D 5 Chris Stefanazzi - Western Ontario, Scarborough ON.

SW 6 Etienne Godbout - Montreal, Montreal PQ.

D 7 Aaron Richer - British Columbia, Vancouver BC.

M 8 Jeremy Lawson - McGill, Montreal PQ.

M 9 Jordan Gillespie - Alberta, Saskatoon SK.

M 10 John Stefan Kamendy - Brock, St. Catharines ON.

M 11 Jorge Aguirre - Dalhousie, Winnipeg MB.

M 12 Brett Norton - Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown PEI.

M 13 Jeremy Armstrong - Queen's, Kingston ON.

M 14 Kenny Nutt - Laurier, Kitchener ON.

M 15 Mesut Mert - St. Marys, Halifax NS.

F 16 Alexandre Tran-Khanh - Montreal, Saint-Georges PQ.

F 17 Steven Vieira Frazao - British Columbia, Port Coquitlam BC.

F 18 Patrick O'Connell - Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown PEI.

Alternates:

D Derek Tsang - McGill, Montreal PQ.

M Terry Bell - British Columbia, Vancouver BC.

M Sean Andrew Battistoni - Victoria, Victoria BC.

STAFF

Leonard Vickery - Head Coach, Edmonton AB.

Pat Raimondo - Assistant Coach, Montreal PQ.

Keith Mason - General Manager, Guelph ON.

I hope Jordan Gillespie does well as I've been impressed with his performances this season in the A-League. Watch for him on the left flank for Canada.

Vince Lepiane, Chris Stefanazzi, Jeremy Lawson, John Stefan Kamendy and Kenny Nutt all played (or are still playing) in the CPSL.

The 2003 Summer Universiade Web site is at http://www.universiade-daegu.org.

Here are the groups:

MEN

Group A: Ireland, Italy, South Korea, Thailand

Group B: Algeria, Czech Republic, Japan, South Africa

Group C: Great Britain, Mexico, Morocco, Ukraine

Group D: Canada, China, Iran, Uruguay

WOMEN

Group A: Canada, Ireland, South Korea

Group B: France, Germany

Group C: China, South Africa, Taiwan

Group D: Japan, Mexico, New Zealand

Subject: 2003 Universiade: CANADA'S MEN'S SOCCER TEAM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

2003 Summer Universiade in Daegu, Korea

CANADA’S MEN’S SOCCER ROSTER ANNOUNCED

Ottawa, ON (CIS) - Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) officially announced today the athletes and coaches that will represent Canada in men’s soccer at the 2003 Summer Universiade in Daegu, Korea August 20-31.

Appearing at the Universiade in men’s soccer for the first time since the 1995 Games in Fukuoka, Japan (15th place) Canada will play its first game on Wednesday August 20th against the People’s Republic of China.

The 2003 edition of Team Canada consists of the best players Canadian Universities have to offer, including no less than 13 All-Canadians from the 2002 season, the top 3 goal scorers in CIS in 2002, CIS’s Most Valuable Players from 2002 and 2001, and four regional association Most Valuable Players from 2002.

Three members of this all-star selection hail from this year’s CIS Men’s Soccer Champions, the Brock University Badgers, one played for the Silver medallist Carleton University Ravens, and one claimed the Bronze medal with the McGill University Redmen.

Head Coach Len Vickery of the University of Alberta is pleased with his team and the opportunity to participate in the Universiade: “I am extremely fortunate to be given this opportunity to coach the CIS men’s squad at the forthcoming Games and in having the quality of player available to make this team a strong and exciting participant at this major international event. This outstanding group of soccer players is perhaps a reflection of the growth and strength of University soccer programs across Canada.”

TOURNAMENT DRAW AND SCHEDULE

This will mark Canada’s return to the Universiade in men’s soccer, the country’s last appearance being a 15th place finish back in 1995 in Fukuoka, Japan. The Canadians will play their preliminary round matches in Pool D versus the People’s Republic of China (August 20), Uruguay (August 22), and Iran (August 24).

Every country entered in the 16-team tournament will play six games, the best two teams of each Pool after the preliminary round advancing to the quarterfinals while the bottom two battle for places 9 to 16.

UNIVERSIADE

Staged every two years, the Summer Universiade is the second largest sporting event in the world in number of participants after the Olympics, and consists of 10 compulsory sports and up to three optional sports. The ten compulsory sports in Daegu will be Basketball, Diving, Fencing, Gymnastics (and Rythmic Gymnastics), Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, and Waterpolo; optional sports will be Taekwondo, Judo and Archery. Record figures for a single Universiade are 6,757 participants and 165 countries in 2001 in Beijing, China.

The Universiade is open to competitors between the ages of 17 and 28 in the year of the Games, who are full-time post-secondary students (University, college, CEGEP) or have graduated from a post-secondary institution within the previous year of the event.

The third largest city in Korea with 2.5 million inhabitants, Daegu is situated in the southeastern part of the peninsula. Daegu is recognized as a major sports city and hosted a number of games during the 2002 World Cup of Soccer, including one of the semi-finals. World Cup Stadium, which sits over 66,000, will host the Universiade’s Opening and Closing Ceremonies, and Track and Field events.

Subject: 2003 Universiade: CANADA'S MEN'S SOCCER TEAM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

2003 Summer Universiade in Daegu, Korea

CANADA’S MEN’S SOCCER ROSTER ANNOUNCED

Ottawa, ON (CIS) - Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) officially announced today the athletes and coaches that will represent Canada in men’s soccer at the 2003 Summer Universiade in Daegu, Korea August 20-31.

Appearing at the Universiade in men’s soccer for the first time since the 1995 Games in Fukuoka, Japan (15th place) Canada will play its first game on Wednesday August 20th against the People’s Republic of China.

The 2003 edition of Team Canada consists of the best players Canadian Universities have to offer, including no less than 13 All-Canadians from the 2002 season, the top 3 goal scorers in CIS in 2002, CIS’s Most Valuable Players from 2002 and 2001, and four regional association Most Valuable Players from 2002.

Three members of this all-star selection hail from this year’s CIS Men’s Soccer Champions, the Brock University Badgers, one played for the Silver medallist Carleton University Ravens, and one claimed the Bronze medal with the McGill University Redmen.

Head Coach Len Vickery of the University of Alberta is pleased with his team and the opportunity to participate in the Universiade: “I am extremely fortunate to be given this opportunity to coach the CIS men’s squad at the forthcoming Games and in having the quality of player available to make this team a strong and exciting participant at this major international event. This outstanding group of soccer players is perhaps a reflection of the growth and strength of University soccer programs across Canada.”

This will mark Canada’s return to the Universiade in men’s soccer, the country’s last appearance being a 15th place finish back in 1995 in Fukuoka, Japan. The Canadians will play their preliminary round matches in Pool D versus the People’s Republic of China (August 20), Uruguay (August 22), and Iran (August 24).

Every country entered in the 16-team tournament will play six games, the best two teams of each Pool after the preliminary round advancing to the quarterfinals while the bottom two battle for places 9 to 16.

UNIVERSIADE

Staged every two years, the Summer Universiade is the second largest sporting event in the world in number of participants after the Olympics, and consists of 10 compulsory sports and up to three optional sports. The ten compulsory sports in Daegu will be Basketball, Diving, Fencing, Gymnastics (and Rythmic Gymnastics), Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, and Waterpolo; optional sports will be Taekwondo, Judo and Archery. Record figures for a single Universiade are 6,757 participants and 165 countries in 2001 in Beijing, China.

The Universiade is open to competitors between the ages of 17 and 28 in the year of the Games, who are full-time post-secondary students (University, college, CEGEP) or have graduated from a post-secondary institution within the previous year of the event.

The third largest city in Korea with 2.5 million inhabitants, Daegu is situated in the southeastern part of the peninsula. Daegu is recognized as a major sports city and hosted a number of games during the 2002 World Cup of Soccer, including one of the semi-finals. World Cup Stadium, which sits over 66,000, will host the Universiade’s Opening and Closing Ceremonies, and Track and Field events.

Here is the list of our Women's Team. Unfortunately, I don't have their University and home town available at this time.

1. Aishatu Alfa

2. Megan Beckett

3. Patricia Bourcier

4. Cecily Clarke

5. Sarah Drake

7. Jenny Holmes

8. Jessica Horning

9. Kristine Jack

10. Elizabeth Leonard

11. Stephanie-Anne MacKenzie

12. Alana Maloney

13. Beth McCharles

14. Lisa Nolet

15. Nocole Shepherd

16. Stacy Siopa

17. Asta Wallace

18. Melanie White

Here is the list of our Women's Team. Unfortunately, I don't have their University and home town available at this time.

1. Aishatu Alfa

2. Megan Beckett

3. Patricia Bourcier

4. Cecily Clarke

5. Sarah Drake

7. Jenny Holmes

8. Jessica Horning

9. Kristine Jack

10. Elizabeth Leonard

11. Stephanie-Anne MacKenzie

12. Alana Maloney

13. Beth McCharles

14. Lisa Nolet

15. Nocole Shepherd

16. Stacy Siopa

17. Asta Wallace

18. Melanie White

Lisa Nolet and Patricia Bourcier are from le Rouge & Or de l'université Laval.

I'm a bit surprise by the fact that tthe canadian team is compose of CIS players. I know that Great Britain is using his NCAA players. We would have a very good team with our NCAA players. But I don't care I'm happy for the CIS players it's gonna be a tremendous experience for them.

Another thing that I don't like in the selection process is chosing the best goalscorer from each conference, it easy to do and I don't think its the best thing. There is a lot of 7-0 5-0 game in the CIS where an average forward can boost his stats.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

July 11, 2003

Canadian women's soccer team announced

(CIS) - Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) officially announced today the athletes and coaches that will represent Canada in women`s soccer at the 2003 Summer Universiade in Daegu, Korea, from August 20-31.

With five players returning from the team that competed at the 2001 Universiade in Beijing, the 2003 squad will be eager to learn from that experience and translate it into success in Korea.

Both goalkeepers return from 2001 to solidify the Canadian backline. Beth McCharles (University of Ottawa) and Asta Wallace (Carleton University) are former CIS All-Canadians and are no strangers to performing on the international stage. They will be counted on to lead this 2003 team.

Also back from the squad that finished 10th in Beijing will be Patricia Bourcier (Universite Laval), Alanna Maloney (McGill University), and Danielle Day (McGill University). Bourcier, a three-time CIS All-Canadian who spent time with the Canadian National Team in 2002 will anchor the defence, while Maloney, who led CIS in scoring this past season with 14 goals, will set the pace up front. Day, who was a "red-shirt" at McGill last Fall after playing three years at the University of Ottawa, was a 1st Team All-Canadian forward for the Gee-Gees in 2001.

One player who should provide Maloney and Day with plenty of help at the offensive end of the field is 2002 CIS MVP Sarah Drake, a two-time All-Canadian from the University College of Cape Breton.

There is certainly no shortage of depth on this team, with 10 of the 17 roster spots being taken up by either 1st or 2nd Team 2002 CIS All-Canadians.

Some other players to keep your eye on in Korea include two-time CIS All-Canadian midfielder Megan Beckett (McMaster University), midfielder Kristine Jack of the 2002 CIS Champion UBC Thunderbirds, and striker Lisa Nolet (Universite Laval) who was the 2002 QSSF MVP and is a former CIS Rookie of the Year.

This will be the third appearance by the Canadian Women`s Soccer Team at the Summer Universiade. Team Canada finished 10th in 2001 in Beijing and fifth out of eight countries when women`s soccer was a demonstration sport at the 1993 Universiade in Buffalo. However, in 1993 the Canadians actually had home-field advantage with the soccer portion of the event being hosted at Hamilton, Ontario`s McMaster University.

Head Coach Stephen `Ness` Timmons (UCCB), the 2002 Atlantic University Sport and the 2000 CIS Coach of the Year, is excited about the talent that the Canadians will have on the field in Korea. "We are confident that we have assembled a very solid team that will proudly represent Canada in Daegu. The good mix of experience and new talent that we will put on the field says a lot about the quality of women`s soccer throughout CIS. We definitely think we can hold our ground at that level of competition."

ATHLETES

Pos Name University Hometown

Goal Keeper Beth McCharles Ottawa Ottawa, ON

GK Asta Wallace Carleton Stittsville,ON

Defender Patricia Bourcier * Laval Levis, PQ

D Cecily Clarke * Queen`s Ottawa, ON

D Jenny Holmes UCCB Lethbridge, AB

D Stacey Siopis Carleton Ottawa, ON

Midfielder Megan Beckett * McMaster Hamilton, ON

M Jessica Horning Calgary North Vancouver, BC

M Kristine Jack * UBC New Westminster, BC

M Elizabeth Leonard Ottawa Ottawa, ON

M Nicole Shepherd* McGill Montreal, PQ

Forward Aishatu Jummai Alfa * Alberta Ottawa, ON

F Sarah Drake * UCCB Burin, NF

F Alanna Maloney * McGill Port Colborne, ON

F Lisa Nolet* Laval Quebec City, PQ

F Stephanie-Anne MacKenzie* Guelph Camlachie, ON

F Melanie White Ottawa Ottawa, ON

F Danielle Day McGill Ile Bizard, PQ

Notes:

2002 CIS All-Canadians (10): *

Members of 2001 Universiade Team (Beijing): McCharles, Wallace, Bourcier, Maloney, Day

2002 CIS MVP: Sarah Drake, UCCB

2002 CIS Scoring Champion: Alanna Maloney, McGill (14 goals)

2002 CIS Champion: Kristine Jack, UBC

HEAD COACH

Pos Name University Hometown

Head Coach Stephen "Ness" Timmons UCCB New Waterford, NS

Eleven teams will compete in four pools in preliminary round action in women `s soccer, with the Canadians sharing Pool A with Ireland and the host Koreans. Team Canada will open their round robin schedule on August 20 versus Korea, Bronze medallist in 2001.

The top two teams in each Pool after the preliminary round will advance to the quarterfinals, with the reaming teams battling for places nine to 11.

The complete draw shows:

Pool A: Korea, CANADA, Ireland

Pool B: France, Germany

Pool C: People`s Republic of China, South Africa, Chinese Taipei

Pool D: Japan, Mexico, New Zealand

"Canucks in Daegu", a message board for Canadians planning to attend the 2003 Daegu Summer Universaide, has just been launched:

http://daegu.hyperboards.com

It contains complete rosters for all of Canada's various sports teams, competition info, and links to detailed schedules.

It even contains a section for supporters of countries other than Canada.

So, meet up with your fellow Canadians and cheer on your athletes in Daegu!

(the message board has just been launched, so don't be shy... say hello!)

Archived