Calgary Storm taken over by A-League

There is a rumour circulating through the Storm's fan forum that Calgary Storm's owner Mike Vandale has opted out and the A-League office is now going to run the Calgary Storm from here until the end of the season. As this rumour is circulating totally out of control, there is also a rumour that at least 2 local groups from the Calgary area are willing to take over the club from Mike Vandale. Nevertheless, nothing is official. Neither the local press or the Storm organization have made this official.

The greatest problem that occurred here with the Calgary Storm is that Mike Vandale came into the A-League with the hope that his club will become a member of the CUSL. In fact, both the CSA and the A-League were pressing for a franchise in Calgary in order to get the CUSL started out West. So with this plan in mind, Vandale came into the scene with the hope that entry into the CUSL will carry both financial subsidies and financial assitance which were part of the initial plan of the CUSL. These funds were so essential to Vandale because he needed this cash in order to keep his club afloat financially through the next 4 years. Now with the demise of the CUSL in 2001, Vandale unfortunately found himself with no subsidies nor financial assistance from the CUSL. He got screw big time. Eventually these problems on the whole came back to hunt Vandale.

What I'm hoping from all this is that there are really 2 new local ownership that are willing to purchase the Storm. I would really love to see the battle of Alberta between Edmonton and Calgary.

The greatest problem that occurred here with the Calgary Storm is that Mike Vandale came into the A-League with the hope that his club will become a member of the CUSL. In fact, both the CSA and the A-League were pressing for a franchise in Calgary in order to get the CUSL started out West. So with this plan in mind, Vandale came into the scene with the hope that entry into the CUSL will carry both financial subsidies and financial assitance which were part of the initial plan of the CUSL. These funds were so essential to Vandale because he needed this cash in order to keep his club afloat financially through the next 4 years. Now with the demise of the CUSL in 2001, Vandale unfortunately found himself with no subsidies nor financial assistance from the CUSL. He got screw big time. Eventually these problems on the whole came back to hunt Vandale.

What I'm hoping from all this is that there are really 2 new local ownership that are willing to purchase the Storm. I would really love to see the battle of Alberta between Edmonton and Calgary.

quote:

I'll point out that for both Vancouver and Montreal, the short-term problems were a blessing in disguise...

Only Montreal has been able so far to pull in consistent 5k+ crowds. I don't think the situation in Vancouver is any better. The team averages 4k a game and hasn't been really doing too well in the standings. I hope things will improve, but the only problem that was solved in Vancouver was the ownership situation.

Will Kerfoot stick it out with only 4k attending per game? Only time will tell.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Only Montreal has been able so far to pull in consistent 5k+ crowds. I don't think the situation in Vancouver is any better. The team averages 4k a game and hasn't been really doing too well in the standings. I hope things will improve, but the only problem that was solved in Vancouver was the ownership situation.

Will Kerfoot stick it out with only 4k attending per game? Only time will tell.

Perhaps 4k is not enough for you, but the fact is PAID attendance is up 90% this season from last.

That's a nice stat but we should remember that it's somewhat misleading. Aren't most of those new paying customers simply people who bought Caps seasons tickets just so they could get that deal on the Man U - Celtic match?

4K is still good by A-League standards.

It now appears that new ownership from within the Calgary area is prepared to take over the Storm within a week from now. I'm pretty impressed on how quickly this process was if compared to the Whitecaps last year. It's quite likely that Mike Vandale was looking for new ownership since the winter time.

Owner gives Storm the boot

By IAN BUSBY, CALGARY SUN

After years keeping the franchise afloat, Michael Vandale has resigned as chairman and owner of the Calgary Storm.

Vandale, who's been majority owner of the organization since it started a professional team three years ago, handed the club's operations over to the United Soccer Leagues yesterday to find new ownership for the A-League squad.

"The team is sort of on hold for the next few days," said USL's chief of operations David Askinas. "They're on a break (from games) and don't play until next Wednesday. We're optimistic we'll be able to complete a deal by then.

"Our hope is we'll have a seamless transition into a new ownership group without the league becoming involved. If things need to be taken care of, the league will deal with them, on behalf of the new ownership group."

Vandale, who says he's lost $1 million operating the team, cites personal reasons for leaving the team but feels he's taken the Storm to a certain level and that someone else will have a better chance to make the necessary improvements the team needs.

The first issue upgrading Foothills Athletic Park, which is one of the smallest stadiums in the A-League.

"In order to get things to a head, this is really what had to be done," Vandale said.

"It was tough but really, right now, the franchise is here and it's important to keep it here. They need a new venue -- I've said that since the start -- and I don't think anybody would dispute that.

"Maybe the new ownership will have better luck dealing with the city. That's the biggest issue of all."

With a A-League franchise in Edmonton slated to begin play next season, the USL needs the Calgary franchise to keep operating for a regional rivalry.

The USL is speaking with two separate local groups in the hopes of having new management in place by the time the Storm leaves for a three-week road trip starting Wednesday in Seattle.

Calgary has a 4-10-2 record this season

The team won only four games last season.

The Storm has played competitive soccer lately and crowds at Foothills have grown accordingly.

Nearly 2,000 spectators showed up for the Canada Day matchup against the Toronto Lynx, which Calgary lost 2-0.

Head coach Tommy Wheeldon said rumours of the management change have dogged the players for a couple of weeks and the change could bring some enthusiasm to the team, especially if the new owners can bring in some fresh talent.

Although he wasn't shocked by the announcement of Vandale leaving, he certainly wasn't happy about not having the soccer enthusiast who was willing to put his money on the line.

"I'm disappointed to be losing Michael because he's been fabulous to me," Wheeldon said.

"Michael has been the only one prepared to put money into professional soccer (in Calgary) and he's got to be commended for that."

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Bull****. Vandale viewed the whole CUSL proposal as extremely unlikely well before he even fielded the PDL team in the summer of 2002. I recall him telling me it would be a bonus if it happened but that he had serious doubts that it ever would.

Wonder if all this has had something to do with friendly encouragement by the USL for the PDL applicants here in Winnipeg to pursue an A-League venture? Dose seem somewhat related to my cynical mind. Of course Calgary without a club would be harmful geographicaly for any A-League enterprise in the 'Peg.

You guys need a park. You'll not survive without, new owners or no.

"Minority of one"

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Bull****. Vandale viewed the whole CUSL proposal as extremely unlikely well before he even fielded the PDL team in the summer of 2002. I recall him telling me it would be a bonus if it happened but that he had serious doubts that it ever would.

In fact, I remember reading certain private E-mails from John Kelly (MINORSOCCER) where he underlines this theory that Vandale came into the professional soccer scene as a result of the CUSL. Aside from this issue, there is also the problem of player lawsuits filed against Mike Vandale for unpaid bills owed to the players. Now, I sometimes stop and wonder as to who is telling the truth: MINORSOCCER or Mike Vandale???? Then again, I'm seriously looking forward to the future. It's quite likely that the 2 new local groups will fully take over ownership of the Storm by Monday of next week. This will be a great fresh start for the future of the Calgary Storm.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

I remember reading certain private E-mails from John Kelly (MINORSOCCER) where he underlines this theory that Vandale came into the professional soccer scene as a result of the CUSL.

First of all, if it was a theory then why did you write it as if it was fact? Second, it doesn't really matter because if that is where your information comes from then no one is going to believe it.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

First of all, if it was a theory then why did you write it as if it was fact? Second, it doesn't really matter because if that is where your information comes from then no one is going to believe it.

When reading these E-mail scripts from MINORSOCCER they definitely appeared as actual facts that underline the issue that Mike Vandale wanting to be part of the CUSL for reasons of the financial assistance plan that the CUSL was based on. In fact, according to one E-mail script from MINORSOCCER, it was stated very clearly that both the A-League and the CSA wanting Vandale to establish the Calgary franchise, with promise of CUSL financial assistance once the CUSL got started in 2003.

Archived