Ottawa Wizards v. Charlotte Eagles (R)

Hey everyone!

The Wizards are playing the Eagles tonight in an exhibition match at OZ Optics Stadium. Should give us a good idea how they stack up against A-League teams in terms of talent.

I'll be there! I'll give you all an update tonight!

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Hey everyone!

The Wizards are playing the Eagles tonight in an exhibition match at OZ Optics Stadium. Should give us a good idea how they stack up against A-League teams in terms of talent.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Game time is eight o clock....

Hey everyone!

Mimglow, Ottawa

we saw them last night in Montreal and they looked terrible!

They did not look A-League material...Go Wizards!!!

François

www.impactsoccer.com

quote:Originally posted by François

we saw them last night in Montreal and they looked terrible!

They did not look A-League material...Go Wizards!!!

Even better. Let's kick some butt.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Hey everyone!

Mimglow, Ottawa

It will give you an idea how they stack up against a crap A-League side anyway.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Hey, let us know how the line-ups compare to Montreal (ie: B list players, I suspect they'll go to the bench a lot).

Hey, do the Wiz's paly at Lansdowne Park (aka Frank Clair, I'm an old Ottawa guy)?

Like "hello" said, they play at Oz Optics stadium. The owner of the team is a multi-millionaire, and decided to start up his own team next to his house in Carp (yes, Carp). It's about 10 minutes past the Corel Centre, and it seats about 1 000+ people. It's all bleachers. A lot of us take our lawn chairs and sit behind the goal. It's not an ideal location, but the quality of the complex is top notch.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at the Roma-Wolves match early and was watching Roma warm-up on the training pitch. One of the Roma players looks to the other and says: "This is their TRAINING pitch" in complete disbelief. The other player says: "This isn't the field we play on???" Hahahaha. What a moment. Gives you an idea of the quality.

Mimglow, Ottawa

I had planned on going to this game tonight, but then I can't control when I fall asleep after working 7 overnights in a row.

Still haven't seen the Wizards yet, hopefully I'll see a game during my 2 weeks off at the end of the month.

Final Score

Charlotte 2

Ottawa 1

The score doesn't begin to tell the story of how Ottawa dominated this match. They had ample opportunity to win this match, but failed to convert.

Charlotte's two goals were gross errors on the Ottawa Wizards' part. The first goal came on an awful giveaway in the first 10 minutes of the match by Charles Gbeke. The Charlotte player simply had to walk in and pick his spot.

The second goal made the first one look warranted. Ottawa gives up a free kick just outside the box, and as the Ottawa players are arguing over how to set up the wall, Charlotte takes a quick free kick right into the net. Ottawa's keeper was hugging his post setting up the wall when this occured.

Urbain Some from Burkina-Faso scored Ottawa's lone tally on a beautiful setup by Abraham Osman.

Ottawa played its B-team, as CPSL No. 1 and 2 leading scorers Allen Marcina and Kevin Nelson did not even dress. Some Ottawa youth players got some action in this one.

It seemed as though Charlotte played all of their dressed players.

I also learned how this match came about. Ottawa sold one of their keepers, Goddard, to Charlotte last summer and part of the transfer deal was that Charlotte would come and play an exhibition against Ottawa after their Montreal road trip.

Although Ottawa lost tonight, they looked the better team. The attendance was around 300, which is a great number considering Ottawa NEVER plays on Thursday nights, and the club gets no press coverage.

Mimglow, Ottawa

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Didn't Goddard enter the game for Charlotte with 10 minutes left? I thought it was kind of odd how one section of the stadium cheered as the new Charlotte keeper entered the game.

Yeah, that was him...

I should add that Charlotte's keeper, Chris McClellan, made a number (4, 5?) of extraordinary diving saves to keep the score at 2-1. He was amazing. Ottawa is not used to seeing their shots parried in that fashion.

Mimglow, Ottawa

I also learned how this match came about. Ottawa sold one of their keepers, Goddard, to Charlotte last summer and part of the transfer deal was that Charlotte would come and play an exhibition against Ottawa after their Montreal road trip.

Maybe you haven't been here long enough, but, just to let you know, Richard Goddard used to post here quite often, both when he was with Ottawa and then when he moved to Charlotte. The last time I remember him posting is when Ottawa played against the Montreal Impact in the preseason. Maybe he'll stop by to talk about this Charlotte game.

Anyway, thanks for the report Mimglow!

Wow, I didn't know that! I hope he does, it would be great!

My final thought on this match is that although the standings show Charlotte as one of the bottom teams in A-League, the Ottawa Wizards showed that they can play with the big boys (even with a B-team).

Mimglow, Ottawa

Ottawa played its B-team, as CPSL No. 1 and 2 leading scorers Allen Marcina and Kevin Nelson did not even dress.

I read somewhere that Marcina has left for Europe. I can't remember where it was. I hope I am imagining things, as it would be a big loss for the Wizards! I noticed that Nelson also wasn't playing and wondered why.

I counted 6 of 11 of Charlotte's starting lineup tonight were identical to the starting lineup against Montreal the night before. I wasn't keeping track of all the subs, but of the ones that I did notice, at least 9 of the starters against Montreal played at some point in the game. All but one of the subs in the Montreal game played at some point (again, I wasn't following every sub so maybe I'm wrong). The point being that the Eagles were pretty much playing their A team. Ottawa did well and had the run of play for much of the second half.

I did not see a single mention of the game in the Ottawa Citizen today. A small article or advert might have had a significant impact on the attendance.

PaulV, I totally agree with you about the lack of advertising. It seems the owner is willing to spend incredible amounts of money on his facility, but zero on promoting said facility. It's too bad because as you said, just a little bit of advertising in the Citizen, the Sun and Le Droit would go a long, long way.

Aren't the Sun a sponsor of the Wizards? Shouldn't they, as sponsors, promote the games in their, ummm, publication? (I had to swallow hard to call the Sun by a respectable name).

And I hope you're wrong about Marcina for the Wizards sake, but it was quite obvious that he wasn't bound to linger in the CPSL for very long.

Mimglow, Ottawa

I remember now where I read that Marcina was off to Europe (well, Turkey as it turns out, so either Europe or Asia depending on the team!); it was in the old Forum:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=4693&messageid=1056811327

The post doesn't make it clear whether he has already left but I had assumed so. He was still on the lineup card they produced for the match.

On that post, it says that Macdonald Yobe and Peter Mponda were also gone, but they played in tonight's match agains Charlotte.

I will call the Wizards regarding Marcina tomorrow, and see what I can find out.

Perhaps Luis or Gian-Luca can give me some tips on how to get info from teams, since I've never done it before? [8)]

Mimglow, Ottawa

These are the days when our work has come asunder

And these are the days when we look for something other

3 players are over seas from what i understand...... marcina, mponda, and macdonald..........i was not there to see the game cause i was playin at lansdowne myself but i have my ideas who played, i will ask my friend who plays with there farm team

Well, I don't think this one game was a true test to see if some of the top squads in the CPSL can compete at the A-League level. In the future, more such games will have to be played, though I must say that overall there is some sort of gap between the two leagues.

Richard Goddard posted some comments on this game on the old board (http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=4693&messageid=1057467645), as I thought he might. I'm reposting them here for archival purposes.

Yes I was there and yes I did play for Charlotte, coming on in the last 10 minutes or so. And no I haven't played one game for Charlotte this year because of visa issues, nor have I played a game for the Wizards partly because I'm a bit too expensive to play for them.

Anyhow this is my take one the game. the Wizards going forward are a very good team. Defending is another question mark. When you have a midfield that includes two full national team players who also play with each other on the same teams (both club and country) you expect the engine room to function with some sought of preciseness. But when you have a backline that has only one returning defender, with the two new defenders being rookies, you will have to expect mistakes. Both Charlotte goals were as a result of bad communication, less experience and even less acknowledgement of Charlotte's experience. The first deserved it's punishment; an awful breakdown in communication between the two defenders, Gbeke being the main culprit and it didn't take long for Mark Pinch to drill the ball past Traore. The second simply showed why Charlotte could be one of the bottom teams in the a-league, but still be tops in the CPSL. As a keeper when there's a free kick anywhere from 35 yds and closer, you must cater for the quick free kicks. Traore forgot that. And with the other players not reacting to the ball being set up for the quick restart, it was the easiest job to kick the ball through the 8-9 players who were standing up about 2-5 yds away from the ball.

Ottawa did control most of the second half, especially the first 20-25 minutes. It was a result of that pressure and I would have to say, tiring Charlotte legs that Ottawa got their just reward, the goal coming off the boot of Urbain Some. Yet still, there was a difference in composure from Charlotte that was only evident with some of the Wizards' players. Ottawa could become a very good team, but as I said a few months ago, they will need to get some more experienced players to join the team (defenders and maybe some strikers too, but Nelson and Marcina didn't play either). Many people will see Ottawa controlling the tempo of te game for most of the game....true. what I saw was a team that had MOST of the ingredients of a good team. Never mind Charlotte has been having it';s worst season ever, they showed a side that Ottawa didn't see when they played against Montreal and Syracuse earlier this year; grit and determination.

As for me playing, this was my first game/action since Charlotte lost to Montreal in the playoffs last year. Just like Titus, I've had my problems with US immigration and getting my visa clearance (this is also tha main reason that the fans were cheering when I came on the pitch. They knew my situation and really feel for me). It's very unfortunate because after talking to many of the Charlotte players, they could have probably used me in the back. I was just happy to be bale to play one more time just in case I decide to call it and take up coaching fulltime (coach at 25. Doesn't that make you feel old?)

Well that's my game review. Need anymore info on the game except subs, I'll be happy to oblige.

Lata and blessings

Richard G.

Awesome. I wish more players came on to post. It would really tighten up the soccer community.

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi's fighting against occupation". Cute.

I called the Wizards GM on Friday, but of course I just got his answering service. I will try and get more info this afternoon at the Wizards match v. Laval...

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

Awesome. I wish more players came on to post. It would really tighten up the soccer community.

I dont think many players even know about these forums.

Archived