Pics: Montrealers in Rachastah

Daniel

Hi all,

Nice baseball stadium indeed! I couldn't believe it when I saw the game on TV . Couldn't they at least have covered up the infield with grass as they usually do? Was any explanation given ? I missed the beginning of the broadcast....

Albert

Albert Ohayon

Montreal match reporter, a-league.com

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Nice baseball stadium indeed! I couldn't believe it when I saw the game on TV . Couldn't they at least have covered up the infield with grass as they usually do? Was any explanation given ? I missed the beginning of the broadcast....

I just read that they've decided to save money this year, covering the infield only for the home opener. :(

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Daniel,

You're kidding me? What a Mickey Mouse league! How do they expect to get paying customers to games with these types of conditions? This is supposed to be the A league's marquee team. Frankly, with this type of nonsense, teams drawing 500(ex: El Paso at the 50,000+ Sun Bowl)and half the league in dire financial trouble, it won't be long before the A league will be down to 8 teams.[xx(]

I'm so disgusted !Thank g-d the English Premier League season is only 6 weeks away.

Albert Ohayon

You're kidding me? What a Mickey Mouse league! How do they expect to get paying customers to games with these types of conditions? This is supposed to be the A league's marquee team. Frankly, with this type of nonsense, teams drawing 500(ex: El Paso at the 50,000+ Sun Bowl)and half the league in dire financial trouble, it won't be long before the A league will be down to 8 teams.[xx(]

That's what me and François were saying all game: how can this be the flagship franchise of the league??? Mini-pitch with a dirt infield in a baseball stadium!!!

However, they DO get paying fans (11,000+ Saturday), but I have a feeling that it's one part great location (smack downtown), 2 parts there's-nothing-to-do-in-Rochester.

3 Championship games on this field?

Vivement une ligue canadienne!

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Agree with you on all points especially "vivement une ligue canadienne."

Salutations

Albert

Albert Ohayon

Albert:

I wouldn't hold my breath in having a ''ligue Canadienne'' tomorrow. There are very few places in Canada that could warrant a professional team. I doubt that the Lynx and Impact will want to pull out of the A-League.

Even the CPSL which is supposed to be ''professional''[xx(] gets very few spectators FWIW (DJT was saying North York draws an average of 50 spectators, and that is mostly ''friends and family of the players'') and they are even having trouble with some of their clubs. Take the Laval Dynamites. They had to move the home game to Ottawa because Parc Vanier is not regulation size(nets are too big).

And not only are some of the A-League teams are in trouble but the USL Pro Select League(D3) may eventually disappear if they lose any more teams(The PSL is currently at 13 teams, some went down to PDL others left the USL to become part of the MPSL, see www.mpsl.info. This is an amateur league)

And I talked to Sean McCaffrey owner of the Montreal Menace in the Rugby Canada Super League and he said the travel costs for the Menace are fairly expensive(and they are in reality a provincial select rugby team that plays only 6 games) and the RCSL may look at regional play(Pacific, Praries, Central, and Atlantic) in the future. and just meet for the East-West final( in reality the only time the RCSL is ''national'' is when the East champion meets the West champion)

Just a thought. What would your concept be for a ''ligue Canadienne''??? and what did you think of that article I emailed you from New Zealand Soccer about their plans for restructuring thier National League??

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

That's what me and François were saying all game: how can this be the flagship franchise of the league??? Mini-pitch with a dirt infield in a baseball stadium!!!

However, they DO get paying fans (11,000+ Saturday), but I have a feeling that it's one part great location (smack downtown), 2 parts there's-nothing-to-do-in-Rochester.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Before I came back up to join the Ultras at the second half I was talking with a Rochester Safari member named Todd(who has come up to Montreal to see our games) and he agreed with your assessment that for soccer Frontier Field is a ""potato field''. We also got to talking re: MLS and he said that even if the Rhinos gets thier new stadium they would not likely join MLS because of the 10 franchise entrance fee and the loss of autonomy that the Rhinos would endure being part of the MLS system. As well he prefers that(and does not mind that) the Canadian teams to stay in the A-League because of the great rivalries that have developed over the years.

Just a thought.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Absolutely boggled!

Hey, you guys look great. Hope you were in the "Drunks Cursing" section and not the "Family Fun Zone". But what a load of ****e!

How? How? Rochester gets great crowds. Apparently they're an involved bunch at that. And they draw them in without giving away the seats. How? Either Rochester has the most loyal and fanatical footy fans on the continent (man, you've gotta be to watch a match on that night after night) or these people seriously need to open up some night clubs. Maybe a Chucky Cheese. Hey, I know, a movie theatre. One that show those "talkies" they've heard about.

"Minority of one"

Hehe, if you go take a look on the Rhinos board, you'll see the beef we had with our evening.

Upon entering our section, security says: "This is a family section, so if there's any swearing, it's over". When he told me that they had already received complaints for swearing on our way to the section, I asked what word he was talking about. "Sucks". SUCKS!!!!! I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

That post should be printed on the back of a Gold Cup Voyageur tee-shirt. "A Voyageur in Rochester". Jarrek should put it on the front page of this web site somewhere. Aces, Daniel. I'll buy you a beer if we ever meet, man. I'm be laughing all night.

"Minority of one"

Hey Impact Supporter,

I'm not trying to rehash the "bring back the CUSL" discussion. I know the Impact and Lynx would not be in too much of a rush to leave the A league but I'm truly disgusted with this league. I've covered the Impact for A-league.com for four years(and followed the team for several years before that) and I really don't see much improvement. There are still teams playing in High School stadiums and too many others drawing under 1000.Some games, the visitors dress only 14 players with no backup keeper(long Island had three subs one game of which two were keepers!). Ridiculous. Maybe the league should keep only the best 10-12 teams and let the others go down to Division 3. In a perfect world we would have an all Canadian league but I know we are far, far away from that ever happening.

Sorry to be so cynical but we all have our limits.

Albert

Albert Ohayon

Hey Impact Supporter,

I'm not trying to rehash the "bring back the CUSL" discussion. I know the Impact and Lynx would not be in too much of a rush to leave the A league but I'm truly disgusted with this league. I've covered the Impact for A-league.com for four years(and followed the team for several years before that) and I really don't see much improvement. There are still teams playing in High School stadiums and too many others drawing under 1000.Some games, the visitors dress only 14 players with no backup keeper(long Island had three subs one game of which two were keepers!). Ridiculous. Maybe the league should keep only the best 10-12 teams and let the others go down to Division 3. In a perfect world we would have an all Canadian league but I know we are far, far away from that ever happening.

Sorry to be so cynical but we all have our limits.

Albert

Albert Ohayon

Which teams (out of curiosity) are still playing in high school stadiums and which teams are drawing under 1000 spectators. Should they not have been weeded out a long time ago??? And why is NOT the A-League screening these teams better??

quote:Originally posted by Impact supporter

Which teams (out of curiosity) are still playing in high school stadiums and which teams are drawing under 1000 spectators. Should they not have been weeded out a long time ago??? And why is NOT the A-League screening these teams better??

Cincy, Charlotte to name a few.

And they're in because they pay the bills, simple as that. You need to stop thinking that the league is this kind of controling figure, it's more like a broker between clubs.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

quote:Originally posted by Impact supporter

Cincy, Charlotte to name a few.

And they're in because they pay the bills, simple as that. You need to stop thinking that the league is this kind of controling figure, it's more like a broker between clubs.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

quote:Which teams (out of curiosity) are still playing in high school stadiums and which teams are drawing under 1000 spectators. Should they not have been weeded out a long time ago??? And why is NOT the A-League screening these teams better??

Don't forget El Paso averaging just over 500 per game(at the Sun Bowl of all places!). Charlotte plays in a High School stadium. I don't know why the A league isn't doing anything about this. I can imagine that some of these teams will be encouraged to go down to Div 3 at the end of the season. The big problem is that the league needs a minimum amount of teams to look respectable. Imagine if they only had the 8 best? Not much of a league with only 8 teams. Realistically, I think some of the weaker sides will go down and we will be down to 14-16 for next year.

Albert

Albert Ohayon

Archived