Pizzolito and Nash in the GC Roster

Bxl Boy

According to the Montreal Impact, are Nash and Pizzolito selected for the Gold Cup.

The roster begins...

Here's the official information :

Pizzolitto has been one of many Impact players to play with confidence this season. The 26-year-old Montrealer saw his work recognized when he was invited to join the Canadian national team for the upcoming Gold Cup, along with teammate Martin Nash.

Pizzolitto had his first cap in two years for Canada last May 26, a friendly match against Germany, but this time he has been called up for an official competition, the CONCACAF championship of nations, which is slated for July 12-27.

"I’m real pleased with Nevio’s performance," says Lilley. "He’s been steady, he’s shown leadership and maturity."

"I’ve been on a continuous high because things have been going so well," says Pizzolitto, who will leave for a training camp in Toronto on July 5, meaning he and Nash may miss up to five games if Canada makes the Gold Cup final.

http://www.impactsoccer.com

Great, I thought they were in the top half of the plaers on the field against Germany. They both played with fire and often with brilliance, and outdid many of the more experienced.

Looks like the full roster may be released soon, a lot of us crossing out fingers for our favorites. Hopefully, Holger's woorked out his personal angst and did some mending on the phone.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Great, I thought they were in the top half of the plaers on the field against Germany. They both played with fire and often with brilliance, and outdid many of the more experienced.

I suggest you watch that game again. All of it. Not just the first 40 minutes.

One thing to look out for with Pizzolitto in the Germany match. On the 2nd disallowed German goal, note that he stops running when he noticed that the linesman's flag is up. The man he was covering, Bernd Schneider, ends up being all alone & scores the goal that is later disallowed. You can see Pizzolitto pointing to the linesman after the goal is scored with a "Hey! He said it was offside!" expression on his face.

This isn't praise or criticism, just a minor observation that no-one has pointed out before - though it does make me feel a little better as before I could not figure out how the heck Schneider was so wide open on the play.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

You can see Pizzolitto pointing to the linesman after the goal is scored with a "Hey! He said it was offside!" expression on his face.

Easy for my lazy *ss to say, but I would much prefer that players play until they hear the whistle. Too often they get caught because they expected a whistle.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Agreed... Seem to remember watching a couple of Canada's games where that had happened.. When you are viewed as the weaker side, don't expect any breaks from the referee. Jordan's rules is what they call it in the NBA at the player level.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Easy for my lazy *ss to say, but I would much prefer that players play until they hear the whistle. Too often they get caught because they expected a whistle.

Mimglow, Ottawa

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Mimglow, Ottawa

True, though I'd rather that be the reason a man is wide open than simply because our players are not talented enough to mark them properly.

And for all we know Pizzolitto did hear a whistle, difficult to tell with the audio in that match.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Totally agree with you about the CONCACAF website.

Canada's roster hasn't been released yet. All we know is that Nash and Pizzolito have been invited because it was reported on the Montreal Impact website.

Mimglow, Ottawa

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

so does n e one know where we could find a Canadian Roster? i see many of the other teams have released their training camp rosters but can't find Canada's on the Concacaf website (its not a very good site) Anyone have n e clue?

The roster hasn't been released yet. Best place to keep looking is the CSA Website. The CSA is notrious for the delays in releasing the roster. This may be as result of most of our players being overseas.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Thanks for the info on the delay of the roster release, guys. Wanting to clear with all the clubs is a valid excuse, but one wonders how efficient the CSA is about this.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Thanks for the info on the delay of the roster release, guys. Wanting to clear with all the clubs is a valid excuse, but one wonders how efficient the CSA is about this.

Actually they are usually pretty diligent at this sort of thing - you may be surprised how much hassle the clubs give the players & CSA on releasing them for international duty. I have had the advantage of talking to several players about this very issue, and more than one has indicated that their clubs often don't want them to leave the club play for Canada under any circumstances, even for meaningful matches. We just don't get the respect some other nations get.

Guest Jeffery S.

So who do we have so far?

GK quite sure will be Onstad and Kenny

Back line Brennan and Tam, probably de Vos if back on form. Pizzolito. Nash.

This is all I can count on for sure based on direct or indirect club info to date.

Though I have no doubt we'll see most of the rest of the midfield vs. Germany, and McKenna up front. But with who?

I recall Rupert posting an article from Plymouth which indicated a deal between Holger & Paul Sturrock (the Argyle coach) - Canada wouldn't get Bent for the Germany friendly, but they could have him for the Gold Cup. So I expect we will see Bent in midfield.

The fact that the roster still hasn't been released at this point (just after 6pm on June 30th, tomorrow is a holiday, the training camp starts the day after that) has me worried that we are not going to see all of our top players. At the same time an 18-man roster doesn't leave a lot of room, many players would have to be left off.

For an 18 man roster, McKenna, Xausa, Stalteri, Brennan, Nsaliwa, De Guzman, Bent, Klukowski, Canizalez, Pozniak, De Vos, Nash, Pizzolitto, Jazic, Onstad, Kenny, Hastings, Fenwick might be possible. I'm not sure about Menezes game fitness so I haven't included him. Same with Jazic, more of a hopeful inclusion, probably we'll see another striker like Corazzin there instead. Also I would like to see Reda instead of Fenwick, but expect Holger will stick with the latter for now & give Reda a look at the Finland match in October.

I recall Rupert posting an article from Plymouth which indicated a deal between Holger & Paul Sturrock (the Argyle coach) - Canada wouldn't get Bent for the Germany friendly, but they could have him for the Gold Cup. So I expect we will see Bent in midfield.

The fact that the roster still hasn't been released at this point (just after 6pm on June 30th, tomorrow is a holiday, the training camp starts the day after that) has me worried that we are not going to see all of our top players. At the same time an 18-man roster doesn't leave a lot of room, many players would have to be left off.

For an 18 man roster, McKenna, Xausa, Stalteri, Brennan, Nsaliwa, De Guzman, Bent, Klukowski, Canizalez, Pozniak, De Vos, Nash, Pizzolitto, Jazic, Onstad, Kenny, Hastings, Fenwick might be possible. I'm not sure about Menezes game fitness so I haven't included him. Same with Jazic, more of a hopeful inclusion, probably we'll see another striker like Corazzin there instead. Also I would like to see Reda instead of Fenwick, but expect Holger will stick with the latter for now & give Reda a look at the Finland match in October.

I think Alan Douglas said on the "Main" Board that Carlo Corrazin had been called for the Gold Cup.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think Gianluca's list is very close, maybe just someone like Fletcher who Holger has faith in instead of Jazic. If he surprises us with some other A-Leaguer after his insulting endeavour with Jordan I would be surprised. No f-ing around please Holger, and learn to live with your decisions.

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

One thing to look out for with Pizzolitto in the Germany match. On the 2nd disallowed German goal, note that he stops running when he noticed that the linesman's flag is up. The man he was covering, Bernd Schneider, ends up being all alone & scores the goal that is later disallowed. You can see Pizzolitto pointing to the linesman after the goal is scored with a "Hey! He said it was offside!" expression on his face.

This isn't praise or criticism, just a minor observation that no-one has pointed out before - though it does make me feel a little better as before I could not figure out how the heck Schneider was so wide open on the play.

Good observation and certainly nothing wrong with a player pointing to the A.R.s flag up. However I expect players at this level would know that the A.R. does not control the game. He/she only "assist" the referee. The referee may ignore the flag and put his fist up to signal the A.R. to lower the flag. For a player to stop pursuing and attacker because of an A.R. flag-up is risking too much, specially if he is the last defender before the keeper. You say that perhaps Pizzolito heard the whistle and that is why he stopped, possible but not likely. The attacker didn't and there would have been no reason then to point to the A.R. as the referee would have obviously seen him.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think Gianluca's list is very close, maybe just someone like Fletcher who Holger has faith in instead of Jazic. If he surprises us with some other A-Leaguer after his insulting endeavour with Jordan I would be surprised. No f-ing around please Holger, and learn to live with your decisions.

-Johan Cruyff

My concern with Fletcher at this point in time is Atlanta's terrible record (both team record & defensively) in the A-league, 2 wins, 9 losses and 4 ties (with one of the wins coming just this week against Charlotte, another team with just 2 wins). Not that this record is all Fletcher's fault or anything, but it isn't a great sign.

Guest Jeffery S.

My concern with Fletcher at this point in time is Atlanta's terrible record (both team record & defensively) in the A-league, 2 wins, 9 losses and 4 ties (with one of the wins coming just this week against Charlotte, another team with just 2 wins). Not that this record is all Fletcher's fault or anything, but it isn't a great sign.

Well the deal is that Fletcher is often coming on as a late sub, he does not have a starting spot down, which perhaps tells us something about the coach (he can't recognize ability or doesn't know what to do with it).

In any case usually a player is keen to get the hell out for a while and see things differently when club play is dreary, so I am sure he'd go to Gold Cup eagerly. If only to prove his coach wrong.

With some decent options at right back we could have fun watching Brennan go forward from the middle, which could push out Nash.

-Johan Cruyff

Archived