Toronto Lynx: Lynx Midseason Review

DJT

From http://www.a-league.com/news/2003/news,2003,0338.shtml:

Lynx Midseason Review

Courtesy of the Toronto Lynx

25.Jun.2003

June 25, 2003 (TORONTO, ON) – The Toronto Lynx are approaching the midpoint of a 2003 season that has been up and down thus far. The Lynx currently sit tied for fourth place in the Northeast Division with at 4-6-3 record and 15 points. The Montreal Impact lead the division with 27 points and the Lynx trail the second place Rochester Raging Rhinos by 8 points for the second playoff spot in this tough division. Head coach and general manager, Peter Pinizzotto has been “satisfied with the team’s play on the field, but goals have been tough to come by and some of the results have been disappointing”. With road victories over Pittsburgh, Virginia Beach and Syracuse, the Lynx have enjoyed much success away from home, but Pinizzotto is looking for some better results at home where the Lynx have won only one game thus far.

Despite an injury plagued first half of the season with nearly all starters missing valuable time, the Lynx have had some impressive individual performances. Goalkeeper Theo Zagar is tied for fifth in the league with 4 shutouts and striker Ali Ngon leads the team with 2 goals and 2 assists for 6 points. Defenders Mauricio Vincello and Adrian Serioux, as well, as midfielder Joe Mattacchione and striker Ryan Lucas have all received A-League Team of the Week honours in the first half of 2003. In addition, new comers, Josue Mayard and Tyler Hughes have moved into the starting lineup and proven to be good additions. The play of veteran midfielders Brian Ashton and David DiPlacido has also showed improved performance over last season.

LYNX HEAD WEST FOR CANADA DAY WEEKEND!

The Lynx will make their only trip of the season to Western Canada next week to battle fellow Canadian A-League members, the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday, June 28 at 7:00 PM PDT (7:00 PM EDT) and the Calgary Storm on Tuesday, July 1 at 1:30 PM MDT (3:30 PM EDT). The Whitecaps currently sit at 5-4-3 with 18 points, second place in the Pacific Division, however, Vancouver have been very tough at home, boasting a 4-1-1 record. Midfielder, Steve Kindel leads the team in scoring with 4 goals and 10 points, but striker Jason Jordan, a member of the Canadian National team for the recent friendly against Germany, is averaging a point per game, with 3 goals and 9 points in 9 games. The Whitecaps are coming off a win over the division leading Seattle Sounders that moved them to within 4 points of the division lead. After playing Vancouver, the Lynx will continue on to Calgary to play the Storm, 4-7-2 on the season in a special Canada Day matinee game. The Storm is playing well right now, gaining draws with both of the top teams in the Pacific Division, Vancouver and Seattle in their past two games.

Results of these two all Canadian match ups will count toward the second annual Voyageurs Cup. The Voyageurs cup was conceived by members of the Voyageurs Canadian Soccer Fan Club and tracks the meetings between the A-League’s Canadian clubs to determine a Canadian Champion. Last year’s defending champion Montreal Impact is again leading this year’s competition with a 3-0-0 record including one victory over each of the Lynx, Whitecaps and Storm. The other three teams all have 0-1-0 records and will be looking for their first Voyageurs Cup points next week.

TWO DAY YOUTH CAMP IN AUGUST

Due to great interest on the part of parents and coaches, the Lynx have added a special 2 day youth camp to their schedule this August. The camp will permit boys and girls aged 6 -16 to train with their Lynx heroes at Centennial Park Stadium from 9:00 – 4:00 on August 20th and August 21st for only $100! “More and more parents and coaches are showing interest in this once in a lifetime experience which permits youth to perfect their soccer playing skills through bonding with some of the finest players in the country, our Lynx players”, says Nicole Hartrell, the club’s Chief Operating Officer. “The session includes a free ticket to a Lynx match, a pizza party and an extended day to witness the first team train.”

Quick notes:

- Due to injuries, defender Jan Veenhof (hamstring) and midfielder Brian Ashton (ankle) will not make the Western Canada.

- Midfielder Robbie Aristodemo will return to action after missing the last game with a knee injury.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:

DAVID NUTT -- MEDIA RELATIONS, TORONTO LYNX

416-251-4625, extension 30

From http://www.a-league.com/news/2003/news,2003,0342.shtml:

Lynx Kick It Up For Canada Day!

Courtesy of the Toronto Lynx

26.Jun.2003

June 26, 2003 (TORONTO, ON) – The Lynx give Canada Day Celebrations in Toronto a kick as they once again team up with their media partner CHIN Radio & Television International for the 37th edition of the CHIN International Picnic, the largest picnic in the world! The Lynx staff and players will be on hand at the picnic from 11 AM -2 PM on Tuesday, July 1st to provide a soccer clinic for soccer fans in attendance just inside the Better Living Centre at the CNE. Fans will be able to meet and greet Lynx players and staff as they demonstrate soccer skills and sign autographs during this wonderful event. An estimated 250,000 will attend this year’s CHIN International Picnic, where admission is free of charge. For more info on the picnic, visit www.chinpicnic.com.

The Lynx will also be on hand for Canada Day celebrations at the 5th Annual Canada Day Celebration at Downsview Park where organizers are planning dynamic entertainment for all ages for an expected attendance of 4000 people. Lynx players and staff will be a part of the Sports Zone, one of five zones being planned at the park which includes the Children Zone, Environment Zone, Technology Zone and Heritage Zone. Fans are invited to join the Lynx at the Sports Zone to try their luck in the Speed Kick Contest and a chance to win free tickets to a Toronto Lynx home game this season, in addition to draws for other great prizes and giveaways.

TORONTO KIDS’ TUESDAY AT NATHAN PHILLIPS SQUARE

For those planning ahead for the summer, join the Lynx for Toronto Kids’ Tuesdays on July 22nd at Nathan Phillips Square. Children will have the chance to visit the square at Toronto’s city hall every Tuesday until mid August to discover the world through a variety of themes which features fun with food, dancing, exploration and drama. “We are excited to once again be a part of this annual event and offer the many youth soccer enthusiasts the opportunity to increase their soccer skills and win great Lynx prizes” says, Mike Le Blanc, Director of Sales and Marketing for the Lynx. For more information visit: www.toronto.ca/special_events.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:

DAVID NUTT -- MEDIA RELATIONS, TORONTO LYNX

416-251-4625, extension 30

I had wondered that as well. Maybe its just Veenhof, Ashton, Oliveiro & Krygier (all injured players) that will be at the picnic.

I hope Bruce Twamley is taking note that Ngon is leading the Lynx in scoring this so far.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Ali has two goals...

Honestly GL, I'm as big a fan as you are (remember I bought his jersey last year at the auction) but I expected Ali to have a break out year. He has a terrific midfield which is creating lots of offense, however much like Lucas, he is just plain underperforming. I consider Ali's season the biggest dissapointment out of all my time watching the Lynx.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I had wondered that as well. Maybe its just Veenhof, Ashton, Oliveiro & Krygier (all injured players) that will be at the picnic.

I hope Bruce Twamley is taking note that Ngon is leading the Lynx in scoring this so far.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

"Winning is most important. Everything is a consequence of that."

-Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)

Btw,

Why is the CHIN INTERNATIONAL picnic taking place on Canada Day? Typical of this country. Can't we just be f*cking proud to be Canadian for once instead of basing our pride on what ethnicity everyone else is?

Sorry for the OT rant.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

"Proud to be Canadian"...for an activity on Canada Day, would that be, like, watching American TV? :)

Uh-oh...I feel a "Canadian Identity" discussion coming on. [xx(]

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Exactly. Why, is the question.

I like your sig. And your screen name for that matter.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Relax man, the Chin picnic is always on Canada Day.

-------------------------

"You tell me I make no difference,

At least I'm f*ucking trying,

What the f*uck have you done?"

In My Eyes - Minor Threat

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Ali has two goals...

Honestly GL, I'm as big a fan as you are (remember I bought his jersey last year at the auction) but I expected Ali to have a break out year. He has a terrific midfield which is creating lots of offense, however much like Lucas, he is just plain underperforming. I consider Ali's season the biggest dissapointment out of all my time watching the Lynx.

If you add a couple of bad linesman decisions to nullify goals, he'd have four, which is four times as many as Lucas has even though the latter has had more playing time, and a bucket-load by Lynx standards. Also Ali drew the penalty that Vijnevic scored on in the last game, an "assist" which is not registered in the official assist tally. So in reality he is currently blowing away the rest of the team in point scoring. He either scores or doesn't miss by much - OTOH Lucas has missed at least 6 easy tap ins & the one goal he's scored came on his third attempt at putting the ball into an empty net. There's simply no comparison between the two players. Lucas does not have the talent or speed to have one-timed that shot off the cross-bar from 25 yards out the way Ali did. Ali didn't play much soccer in the previous two seasons, so his slow start this year was understandable but in the previous few games he is demonstrating that is getting back his form as he gets more playing time. His timing is getting better & better. If he continues to progress as he has in the last few games you will see him have a "break-out" season.

And if you think I am being harsh on Lucas in this comparison, talk to Behrouz. [:P]

I can't say that Ali has a "terrific midfield" behind him, though in fairness to them they are hampered at home by not having a properly-sized field to play on, making it easier for visiting teams to clog up the midfield & sit-back and defend the whole match against the Lynx (which basically all teams in Toronto have done - with great success as well since we have one stinking win at home.)

Still doesn't make sense. The Lynx would have arranged this far before these players were injured. The Lynx have done it for the past few years I believe.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Archived