Your Gold Cup rosters please

Gian-Luca

I think we get a squad of 22 for this tourney (based on the rosters Jamaica & Mexico have released).

Ideally, before club conflicts can be taken into account, but including injuries & players that no longer appear to be a part of the player pool used by Holger, who would you like to see in what should be our largest squad since the 2001 Confederations Cup?

GK: Onstad, Hirsfeld (if healthy)

Def: De Vos, Reda, Nsaliwa, Pizzolitto, Hastings, Menezes (if healthy), Jazic, Pozniak

MF: Stalteri, De Guzman, Nash, Imhof, Brennan, Klukowski, Canizalez, Bent

S: McKenna, Xausa, Friend, Pesch

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

I get the feeling I've left out a couple of obvious names, but I guess its late as I can't figure out who they are for the life of me! :)

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Hmm... 22 seems like a lot of players because it means we'll have 4 extra bodies not dressed for matches. We may be technically allowed to have 22 guys, but I expect that there will only be 18 players in the Canadian camp.

My squad of 18:

GK: Onstad, Sutton (let the young Euro-based keepers attend training camp with their clubs Holger)

D: DeVos, Jazic, Fletcher, Pozniak, Pizzolitto, Menezes (if healthy, otherwise Fenwick)

M: Stalteri, Brennan, Imhoff, Bent, Nash, Hutchinson

F: McKenna, Corazzin, Peschisolido, Friend

Obviously, the pattern here is leaving young players (or players who struggled for playing time with their clubs last season - like Hastings and Xausa) with their clubs for pre-season. Hutchinson, Pozniak and Friend are in mid-season form and established with their clubs, so I included them in place of the young guns in Germany.

Mike D

Hutchinson was the big name that I was forgetting (I knew there was one). Colombia's roster was released today, featuring 22 players, so I have to think that we will be allowed 22 as well, and remember in the Confederations Cup all 22 players dressed for each match (even though not all could obviously play with just 3 subs). I think we should call as many players as we can, & thereby afford to send De Guzman & Nsaliwa back to their clubs for the latter part of the Gold Cup (or don't call them until we reach the later stages, but name them to the squad to allow us the ability to call them at that later stage).

If it was just a squad of 18, I'm not sure that we'd see 4 strikers called, I'd expect 3 strikers & another midfielder (which could very well be Mike Klukowski, who started every match for his club side this year & must be considered as "established" with his club as Atiba Hutchinson.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Is Radzinski still hurt?

He is starting to recover, but won't be fit by the time the Gold Cup is played, or so I've been told.:(

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Hutchinson was the big name that I was forgetting (I knew there was one). Colombia's roster was released today, featuring 22 players, so I have to think that we will be allowed 22 as well, and remember in the Confederations Cup all 22 players dressed for each match (even though not all could obviously play with just 3 subs). I think we should call as many players as we can, & thereby afford to send De Guzman & Nsaliwa back to their clubs for the latter part of the Gold Cup (or don't call them until we reach the later stages, but name them to the squad to allow us the ability to call them at that later stage).

If it was just a squad of 18, I'm not sure that we'd see 4 strikers called, I'd expect 3 strikers & another midfielder (which could very well be Mike Klukowski, who started every match for his club side this year & must be considered as "established" with his club as Atiba Hutchinson.

I hope you're right about us being allowed to dress all 22 guys. Either way, I think it's a great idea you have to send some guys back the their clubs, if necessary, but still call them. It's great that we've got so much more depth than we had even a few years ago.

Re: Daniel's comment about getting Sutton released - I don't think it would be a problem since the Gold Cup is an official FIFA tournament, so club's have to release their players. It's not as though Sutton would be in danger of losing his place with the Impact, although it would suck for the Impact.

I notice that the Lynx and playing the Impact in a Voyageurs Cup match during the Gold Cup, so perhaps all you Toronto Ultras out there should start lobbying Holger to call up Sutton and give the Lynx a better chance to get some much need away points in the Voyageurs Cup standing! :)

Mike D

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Any reason that young players like Hume and Dunfield not be included?

I personally would include Hume, especially given the absence of De Rosario and Radzinski. Since coming back fro the U-20 tournament, Hume was a starter, and one of the stars, of a team that came very near to getting promoted to Div 1. I wouldn't start him, but I'd definitely bring him. Dunfield has to earn the invite however. He had a great 1st half in Bury then totally disappeared. He wasn't even starting - or even playing towards the end of the season. While I haven't given up on him, and actually do expect to see him play a role in 2004/5, This is dependednt upon him getting off his ass and acomplishing something.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think we get a squad of 22 for this tourney (based on the rosters Jamaica & Mexico have released).

Ideally, before club conflicts can be taken into account, but including injuries & players that no longer appear to be a part of the player pool used by Holger, who would you like to see in what should be our largest squad since the 2001 Confederations Cup?

GK: Onstad, Hirsfeld (if healthy)

Def: De Vos, Reda, Nsaliwa, Pizzolitto, Hastings, Menezes (if healthy), Jazic, Pozniak

MF: Stalteri, De Guzman, Nash, Imhof, Brennan, Klukowski, Canizalez, Bent

S: McKenna, Xausa, Friend, Pesch

I like this selection, but would drop Pizzolitto and Friend in favour of Hutchinson and Hume. If worst came to worst and two of DeVos, Menezes and Reda were injured, I'd play Pozniak or Mckenna at the Centre back rather than carry a 4th. I'd leave Friend with Moss where he is starting (and scoring), but from his VG ratings, is somewhat inconsistent in his play. Let him get established and perhaps, play his way to a higher club level.

With the possibility that Nsaliwa and DeGuzman might have to go back before the tournament ends, bent would have to play rightback with Imhoff the likely second choice, both are D-mids, a role Hutchinson can fill, while Hume can bring some pace and energy off the bench and is another option for the midfield as well.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Here's my guess, based on anticipating Holger's choices:

GK: Onstad, Stamatopoulos

DF: de Vos, Jazic, Pozniak, Hastings, Fletcher, Nsaliwa, Fenwick (why)

Pizzolito

MF: Stalteri, de Guzman, Imhof, Brennan, Canizales, Bent

S: Mckenna, Peschisolido, Corrazin, Hume (long shot)

I like G-L's choices, but this is my guess of Holger's. I think he

would choose Fenwick over Menezes, based on the Germany friendly. ;)

Is Jazic healthy enough to start? I hope so because I would be interested in seeing a left side with Brennan and Jazic. Two experienced players that could interchange positions as both have played left back for their club.

Stalteri and Nsaliwa on the right could make things very interesting for the same reasons. And with McKenna's height up front?

Also feel better with deVos in central defence, partnering with ???. Imhof, Bent, Hastings, Fenwick will be called.

Pesch should be called for this Tournament as well as Corrazin even if they start on the bench.

I am doubtful we will see Nsaliwa, especially if he is picked up by a B1 club. Unless of course, Holger takes Gian-Luca's advice and sends him back after the early games. Same for de Guzman. Not sure we will see Hutchinson or Pozniak or Friend either. Hume and Klukowski, I can see however because both are established.

For what it's worth, Ante Jazic has been removed from the CSA player pool. In the player list, he still exist but no longer has an "X" in the "Men's Team" column.

I don't think that Carlo Corazzin will be available. He had surgery after the English season and won't be available to his new A-League club (whoever that is) until the end of the season/playoffs.

I am curious to see if the Scandinavian players will be called upon or left with their clubs. Ditto for the U-23 players fighting for starting spots with their clubs in July training camps. Might open up a few spots for a couple of surprise additions.

The back-up to Onstad might just be one of the three A-League guys (Zagar, Sutton or Franks), especially if Stamatopoulos is still in Sweden trials.

I think that Pesch will be called, worried about Jazic's and Menezes' status and doubtful of Aguiar and Joey Torchia (smile).

Can't wait...

- David C.

I can't believe I forgot about Hume! I wanna change my picks [:P] - Hume instead of Friend (McKenna is there to play the big man role anyway.)

Re: Jazic - I hope that X out of the column doesn't mean he's out of the picture again. I've yet to be convinced that he's the saviour some Voyageurs are making him out to be, but he's surely worth keeping in the mix. On the other hand, if Jazic is out of the picture again and if Hastings has to leave the tournament early to fight for a job with GAK, then this could be Klukowski's chance claim the left back spot as his own.

Re: Bent playing right back. I still think Fletcher is our #1 right back (he'll hand the torch to Nsaliwa someday soon, but not quite yet.) However, I don't see Bent being used there.

Remember when Fletcher and DeVos cracked heads at the last Gold Cup and Fletcher had to leave the match with a concussion? I thought for sure that Holger would move Bent over to right back in place of Fletcher but, instead, Holger brought Mark Rogers, who is not a natural fullback (he's a centre back), cold off the bench to play right back. If Holger would rather use a centre back at right back than use Bent, how likely do you think it is that Bent will ever play right back for us?

At the time, I remarked on this to fellow Voyageur Grasshopper, who theorized that Bent is too short to play defence and that is why Holger put in Rogers instead. I think that's a pretty good explanation myself.

One last thing - man do we ever have a lot of depth in central midfield! Stalteri, DeGuzman, Imhoff and Bent are all quality. Behind them we've also got a blue chip prospect in Hutchinson. I think this is a major reason why Dunfield isn't even on the radar screen. He'll have to show a lot to force his way into that midfield, but he's still young. I also think this depth explains Holger's lack of interest in Fernando Aguiar.

Mike D

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Remember when Fletcher and DeVos cracked heads at the last Gold Cup and Fletcher had to leave the match with a concussion? I thought for sure that Holger would move Bent over to right back in place of Fletcher but, instead, Holger brought Mark Rogers, who is not a natural fullback (he's a centre back), cold off the bench to play right back. If Holger would rather use a centre back at right back than use Bent, how likely do you think it is that Bent will ever play right back for us?

Mike D

You may be right that we may never see Bent at right back, but keep in mind with your particular example that Bent was coming off an injury, wasn't healthy enough to play any of the match against Haiti & couldn't quite play a full match against Ecuador. It could be that Holger put Rogers in at right back as Fletcher's replacement because he didn't want to use Bent for nearly an entire match coming off his injury, but instead ease him in with a late 2nd half substitution (which is what he ended up doing - of course then Bent aggravated the injury two games later in any event).

Re: Hume, I have deliberately left him off the Gold Cup squad for two reasons. One, Holger said in a Neil Davidson article that he wasn't going to call either Hume or Belotte for the Gold Cup since he didn't think they were quite ready. But more importantly, I am thinking of the bigger picture and with Hume we have to take into account how much club time he's going to miss being called for Olympic & U20 team duty for the rest of 2003. Although the Olympic qualifiers are held during FIFA dates, Tranmere plays in the 2nd division & would likely play on the same dates. And the U20 finals are in November & December, and I believe the 2nd division schedule runs unabated during that time as well. So I'd rather have Hume spend the pre-season with his club, get himself established for the new year (he's only 19 after all, hardly a long-standing veteran) & miss the Gold Cup, so that his place in the squad will be in less jeopardy when he misses time for Olympic qualifying & the U20 finals. Instead lets bring Pesch back into the squad now as a super-sub, as we will need him during the World Cup qualifiers and it would be nice to have him re-integrated into the squad.

The same problem doesn't apply to Hutchison, as since he plays in a top division, he won't miss club time for Olympic qualifiers, plus the Swedish season will be over by the time the U20 World Cup is held. This is also good news as far as Harmse is concerned. With Belotte, not having a club, its a good thing in one sense as he will be able to spend as much time with the U20 & Olympic teams as possible (until he signs for a new club, which in the end he must do).

Right. Is going to be a big roster I'm thinking. Longer than usual time for training and the tourny could go on for a bit so how can you turn down the opportunity to have your best score kick it about together for a little?

Surprised if we'll see Menezes. But who knows what's going on with the man? Leave Friend with his club. He'll get his chances to show us yet if he continues developing. Same applies to Hume allthough curse it all I think Ian's the sort of fellow who can be pushed into a higher level and force himself into a positive response (do him a world of good to-boot). Is that the proper choice of words? Get what I'm getting at? Nope, no Kenny S. either.

And for all you haters out there, somehow my confused memmory recalls Fenwick not being able to commit to the Gold Cup so he stays home with the kids, you stay happy, and Pizzolitto gets another shot at center back excepting of course with JDV generaling the back line.

Am going to stick my neck out and predict we'll see Radz. and Corazzin at least train with the side (Carlos'll play hopefully) even if they're not named to the rosters. No way Radz. well risk reinjury in the off season but Holger is well within his rights to call the wee man in at some capacity (ah there it is again, my cynical nature). Don't know when Carlos' release date is but training at this sort of level can only do his form good and hopefully the timing works out for Vancouver. Nsaliwa well be there marketing his wares and Holger well go out of his way help. Where he'll play yet I'm not sure but can allmost guarentee he'll be in the starting 11 for every match. (Wicked prediction! Holgy sticks with a 4-4-2 just so he can play Tam at right fullback and free up a position in the middle ground. What do yah think? Out there or what?)

Dose Nash come out? Dose Canizales?

Well if GL thinks it's a 22 man roster and Lord knows he's got a better idea at this than I ever well here goes.

Onstad (maybe Lars, maybe)

Nsaliwa- JDV- Pizzolitto- Jazik

deGuzman- Stalteri- Imhoff- Brennan

McKenna- Xausa

subs.

Hirsfeld, Franks (hey, why not?)

Reda, Hastings, Pozniak

Nash, Klukowski, Hutchinson, Bent

Corazzin, Pesch.

Boy can you play with the formations with this line up depending on opponent. Wow.

"Minority of one"

I don't think we'll have 22, but I'll offer a list anyway:

Goal: Hirschfeld, Onstad

Defenders: Nsaliwa, DeVos, Menezes, Reda, Klukowski, Pizzolitto, Hastings

Midfielders: Brennan, Stalteri, DeGuzman, Imho, Jazic, Bent, Canizalez, Nash, Hutchinson

Forwards: McKenna, Peschisolido, Hume, Xausa

I'd give each keep a game and use Nsaliwa-Reda-DeVos-Hastings against Cuba and Bent-Menezes-DeVos-Hastings against Costa Rica. I'd like to see either Jazic, Brennan or Klukowski sub in for Hastings.

I'd give Brennan and Jazic a turn each at the left flank. Imhof, Stalteri and DeGuzman each start both games and Nash to super sub. McKenna and Pesch up front both games unless Radzinski is avalable which I doubt.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

Archived