Non-Canadian Gold Cup rosters

MikeD

Jamaica, Mexico announce rosters for Gold Cup training camps

18.06.03 - Jamaica and Mexico have announced their respective training camp rosters for the 2003 CONCACAF Gold Cup this week.

Technical director Carl Brown has called several foreign-based players to join the Jamaican squad on Tuesday in Montego Bay, while Mexico’s technical director Ricardo La Volpe has selected 22 to the training camp roster that begins on 23 June at the Centro de Alto Rendimiento in Mexico City.

The foreign-based players for Jamaica include: forwards Darren Byfield (Rotherham FC/ENG D1), Paul Hall (Rushden & Diamonds/ENG D3), Kevin Lisbie (Charlton Athletic/ENG); midfielders Micah Hyde (Watford FC/ENG D1), Keith Kelly (R A E C Mons/BEL), James Lawrence (Walsall/ENG D1), Richard Langley (Queens Park Rangers/ENG D2), Andrew Williams (Chicago Fire/USA); and defenders Michael Johnson (Birmingham City FC/ENG), Tyrone Marshall (Los Angeles Galaxy/USA), Craig Ziadie (NY/NJ MetroStars/USA).

The Reggae Boyz are scheduled to host Cuba in an international friendly on 6 July in Kingston, before greeting Paraguay three days later.

The tricolores are mostly dominated by players of the Mexican League and has the return of goalkeeper Oscar Pérez (CD Cruz Azul) and defender Miguel Zepeda (CD Cruz Azul), along with the training camp new additions of defender Ricardo Osorio (CD Cruz Azul) and midfielders Fernando Salazar (CF Atlas), Mariano Trujillo (Pumas UNAM).

Mexico will travel to Carson, California USA to meet El Salvador on 6 July at the Home Depot Center before returning to Mexico City for the Gold Cup.

The 2003 Gold Cup will run from 12-27 July in three venues: Foxboro, Massachusetts; Miami, Florida USA and Mexico City.

Mexico will host Group A at the Estadio Azteca, along with Honduras and five-time FIFA world champions Brazil, while Jamaica will compete in Group B with Colombia and Guatemala at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

The GOLD CUP 2003 Schedule of Matches and Groupings CLICK HERE

JAMAICA

GK: Aaron Lawrence (Reno FC), Donovan Ricketts (Village United FC), Shawn Sawyers (Hazard United FC);

DF: Claude Davis (Hazard United FC), Michael Johnson (Birmingham City FC/ENG), Tyrone Marshall (Los Angeles Galaxy/USA), Marco McDonald (Tivoli Gardens FC), Gerald Neil (Arnett Gardens FC), Robert Scarlett (Harbour View FC), Damion Stewart (Harbour View FC), Craig Ziadie (NY/NJ MetroStars/USA);

MD: Cornel Chin-Sue (Arnett Gardens FC), Omar Daley (Hazard United FC), Micah Hyde (Watford FC/ENG D1), Keith Kelly (R A E C Mons/BEL), Richard Langley (Queens Park Rangers/ENG D2), James Lawrence (Walsall/ENG D1), Theodore Whitmore (Seba United FC), Andrew Williams (Chicago Fire/USA);

AT: Darren Byfield (Rotherham FC/ENG D1), Paul Hall (Rushden & Diamonds/ENG D3), Kevin Lisbie (Charlton Athletic/ENG), Roen Nelson (Hazard United FC), Fabian Taylor (Harbour View FC).

TD: Carl BROWN

MEXICO

GK: Oscar Pérez (CD Cruz Azul), Oswaldo Sánchez (CD Guadalajara);

DF: Omar Briceño (Tigres UANL), Melvin Brown (CD Cruz Azul), Salvador Carmona (CD Toluca), Rafael Márquez (Mónaco/FRA), Mario Méndez (CF Atlas), Ricardo Osorio (CD Cruz Azul), Pavel Pardo (Club América), Mariano Trujillo (Pumas UNAM);

MD: Rafael García (CD Toluca), 16.- Luis Ernesto Pérez (CF Monterrey), Eduardo Rergis (Atlante FC), Juan Pablo Rodríguez (CF Atlas), Fernando Salazar (CF Atlas), Octavio Valdez (CD Toluca);

AT: Jesús Arellano (CF Monterrey), Jared Borgetti (Club Santos Laguna), Omar Bravo (CD Guadalajara), Daniel Osorno (CF Atlas), Irving Rubirosa (Atlante FC), Miguel Zepeda (CD Cruz Azul).

TD: Ricardo LA VOLPE

Mike D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's understandable that Mexico has an easier time getting their team together since they all play in the Mexican league which is now over. Jamaica, on the other hand, has a bunch of players from Europe and yet they are still able to get together 3 weeks before the tournament starts --- why can't we do this? Also, Jamaica will have two friendlies and Mexico will have one --- we will have none. We put ourselves in the hole before the tournament even starts.

Colombia's 22-Man roster:

La siguiente es la nómina colombiana de 22 jugadores que reveló RCN:

Arqueros: Farid Mondragón (Galatasaray, Turquía), Miguel Calero (Pachuca, México) y Juan Carlos Henao (Once Caldas).

Defensas: Andrés Orozco (Racing Club, Argentina), Amaranto Perea, Roberto Carlos Cortés (Independiente Medellín), José Mera y Gerardo Vallejo (Deportivo Cali).

Volantes: Fabián Vargas, David Ferreira (América de Cali), John Javier Restrepo, Mauricio Molina, David Montoya (Independiente Medellín), Freddy Grisales (Atlético Nacional), Jairo Patiño, Giovanni Hernández y Elkin Murillo (Deportivo Cali).

Delanteros: Jairo Castillo, Julián Vásquez (América de Cali), Elson Becerra (Tolima), Eudalio Arriaga (Junior) y Wilson Carpintero (Bucaramanga).

Con AP

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

That's crap, Columbia is brining a team made up mostly of domestic players. Why do we invite these teams?

Did you know that Colombia put two teams in the semis of Libertadores this year, representing about half the team? Medellina and Deportivo Cali.

Pretty much like the team they have gotten into semis of the Confed with.

In any case I don't think Colombia has that many players of high level playing outside their own league at this time. In Argentina, league still on, maybe Mexico. I have no idea who might be the best Colombian playing in Europe right now. Anyone know?

Also: according to most ratings the league in Colombia is third in quality after the obvious first two, making it in the top 4 in the Western Hemisphere. Better than MLS for sure, where a wash-out like Valderrama could still play until last year. And if you consider that these guys are all keen to play out of their nation with a better paying side, I think the motivation will be relatively intact.

There are a couple of guys that are apparently being left off the squad who are with the team at the Confederations Cup who play in Europe. I don't know their names, but I've heard that the reason they won't be at the Gold Cup is to give these two or three players a break after playing in long European seasons & then the Confederations Cup. I think one of these players might be Gonzalo Martinez, who played in the 2000 Gold Cup final against Canada. I think there is a Colombian playing somewhere in Serie A. But in any event, I don't think they have that many players overseas.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The only guy I can think of off the top of my head is Cordoba on Inter.

Yeah, that's who I was thinking of in my post above.

As strong as the Colombian domestic league is, this is clearly not Colombia's best team.

Only 7 of the 22 players they're bringing to the Gold Cup are on the roster of the Colombian side that is currently competing in the Confederations Cup in France. Of those 7 players, only 2 (midfielder Jairo Patino of Deportivo Cali and striker Elson Becerra of Deportes Tolima) started for them in their big match against France and they're both relatively new to the national team (Patino and Becerra are both 25 years old and had seven caps between them going into the Confederations Cup.)

I'm not saying Colombia still won't be a challenging opponent for most CONCACAF teams (including us) but it's disappointing that they aren't bringing their best.

Mike D

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

I'm not saying Colombia still won't be a challenging opponent for most CONCACAF teams (including us) but it's disappointing that they aren't bringing their best.

Mike D

And another strong argument against inviting non-CONCACAF nations: Having our Confederation Championship soiled (yes, I said soiled) by their lack or respect for the competition.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

I can see the point you're making, and it is valid in my eyes. I would simply prefer National Teams playing in their own Confederation Championships, exclusively.

We have the World Cup and the Confederations Cup for Inter-Confederation competition.

I'm sure you guys argued back and forth concerning the CSA's role in the past Copa, but they were put in quite a tough spot with the on again-off again saga leading up to that tournament.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

But I've heard that COMNEBOL are going to invite the US & Mexico to the next Copa, regardless of who wins the 2003 Gold Cup. Hopefully this isn't the case, but if it is, it means the reciprocal agreement isn't helping out Concacaf, but just the US & Mexico in particular.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

But I've heard that COMNEBOL are going to invite the US & Mexico to the next Copa, regardless of who wins the 2003 Gold Cup. Hopefully this isn't the case, but if it is, it means the reciprocal agreement isn't helping out Concacaf, but just the US & Mexico in particular.

I hope that's not true. If we win the Gold Cup, I'll be pretty pissed off if we don't get an invite to the Copa. The Gold Cup is already rigged to favour Mexico and the US with the way the scheduling and venues are determined - if they can't manage to finish 1-2 in the tournament with all the cards stacked in their favour then they don't deserve to be in the Copa.

Mike D

I don't think Colombia is showing disrespect by not fielding the strongest team at the Gold Cup. Given that they have congested fixtures (mid-season in Colombia, Confed. Cup, 18 WC Qualifying schedule starting in November or December), I think they show it a great deal of respect by coming to give their team some decent competition and give some of their best 40 players a chance to prove themselves just before the WC schedule, which is properly the centre oof their universe. Colombians are probably have the fiercest national pride of anyone (I lived there for a year), and the players fiercely want to play on the national team and make incredible sacrifices that are rare elswhere in the world tto play for their country. I lived in Colombia for a year, and it was amasing to see their fervour. They will be competitve for this reason, as they were in 2000. Believe me, they were not happy returning to their country after being beaten by "Caa-NAA-daa". The issue is whether CONCANAF, or those federations that seem to control it, should have the format they do or not.

Also, although I'm not an expert on Colombian players since 1998, I don't think the team is much weaker than that they sent to Confed. It's an alternate team. True, they don't have Ivan Cordoba, probably their presently best player, but some of the new ones on the list are better than the ones in France now, including the 3 that were busy until now in the Liberatores Cup. And, although they dont have the same GK Oscar Cordoba, they do have Mondragon coming for the GC who some rate higher. They are not just going through the motions, they are trying to develop a competitive edge. They have to give most of the players some break, as has been stated above. To compare with the GC list above, here's the current list of the roster in France:

COLOMBIA

Coach: Francisco Maturana

Captain: Ivan Cordoba/Mario Yepes

GK: 1-Oscar Cordoba (Besiktas, Turkey), 12-Juan Carlos Henao (Caldas),

22-Luis Martinez (Envigado);

DF: 2-Ivan Cordoba (Inter Milan, Italy), 3-Mario Yepes (Nantes,

France), 4-Edgar Ramos (Santa Fe), 5-Jose Mera (Deportivo Cali),

6-Gerardo Vallejo (Deportivo Cali), 19-Andres Mosquera (Deportivo

Cali), 23-Gonzalo Martinez (Napoli, Italy);

MD: 8-Arnulfo Valentierra (Caldas), 10-Geovanni Hernandez (Deportivo

Cali), 11-Elkin Murillo (Deportivo Cali), 14-Oscar Diaz (Deportivo

Cali), 15-Ruben Dario Velasquez (Caldas), 18-Jorge Lopez

(Millonarios), 20-Gerardo Bedoya (Racing Club, Argentina),

21-Jairo Patino (Deportivo Cali);

FW: 7-Elson Becerra (Tolima), 9-Victor Aristizabal (Cruzeiro, Brazil),

13-Herly Alcazar (Centauros), 16-Eudalio Arriaga (Atletico Junior),

17-Martin Arzuaga (Atletico Junior).

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

I hope that's not true. If we win the Gold Cup, I'll be pretty pissed off if we don't get an invite to the Copa. The Gold Cup is already rigged to favour Mexico and the US with the way the scheduling and venues are determined - if they can't manage to finish 1-2 in the tournament with all the cards stacked in their favour then they don't deserve to be in the Copa.

Mike D

Basically, Mexico has bought its way in with a television contract and COMNEBOL would like to see the same happen with the US. What do you think the Candian TV rights would bring them? Perhaps enough for coffee and (Tim Horton's) donughts at the next meeting of COMNEBOL's members? Not defending the process, but the criteria makes sense at least. How does CONCACAF decide who to invite?

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Found a link to the official Gold Cup 2003 regulations on the CONCACAF website...

http://www.concacaf.com/graphics/stats-regs/pdf/goldcup_e.pdf

Section II. 3 states that: "The CONCACAF members who wins the Gold Cup commits to represent CONCACAF in the FIFA Confederations Cup and the Copa America..."

I'm pretty sure I read a CONCACAF press release last year talking about an agreement between CONCACAF and CONMEBOL to exchange two teams for the Copa America and Gold Cups, but I can't find the press release because the Archives section of the CONCACAF website is currently down.

It looks, based on the above regulation, that the winner of the Gold Cup will go to the Copa for sure. Since there's no mention in the regulations of how the second team would be chosen, it will probably be based on economic factors. This is consistent with the 2001 Copa America, when Canada and Mexico were invited (originally anyway.) If it had been based solely on the results of the 2000 Gold Cup, it would have been Canada (as winners) and T&T (the second highest placed CONCACAF team.) Mexico lost to us in the quarterfinal but still got invited to the Copa, presumably because of their financial clout. Similarly, if the two CONMEBOL participants at this year's Gold Cup had been based on the results of the last Copa America, then it would Colombia (champion) and Uruguay (second highest placed CONMEBOL team) rather Colombia and Brazil.

Basically, it looks like we have to win the Gold Cup or else we're not going to the Copa. The thing Gian-Luca read saying that the USA and Mexico were definitely going to next year's Copa was probably either: a) misinformed; or B) assuming that one of the USA and Mexico would win the Gold Cup and that the other would be invited (a safe assumption given the fact that they're cost-hosting, but one I hope we'll be able to prove wrong.)

Mike D

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

In any case I don't think Colombia has that many players of high level playing outside their own league at this time. In Argentina, league still on, maybe Mexico.

There aren't more than a handful of Colombians in Argentina. The only two of note are Racing's Gerardo Alberto Bedoya and Andrés Felipe Orozco, already mentioned in this thread with the former at the Confederations Cup and the latter on the Gold Cup roster.

Basically, it looks like we have to win the Gold Cup or else we're not going to the Copa.

What if we finish second to either Brazil or Colombia? We will then be CONCACAF champions and qualified for the Confederations Cup (same thing happened in 2000).

According to all of the Mexican fans on bigsoccer.com, Mexico is a permanent guest team in the Copa America. The other guest team is the Gold Cup winner, or if that's Mexico, the runner-up. But the same people on that board are the ones who have heard that its the US & Mexico no matter what.

Perhaps they just figure that nobody else has a chance at winning the tournament.

Here is another article on Brazil's squad - they are only calling 18 players, instead of the 22 everybody is calling. And as mentioned, all 18 will be U23. I sincerely hope Brazil gets pummelled and never invited back, but in reality I doubt either will happen.

Senior team won't play in CONCACAF tourney

Reuters

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Brazil confirmed on Tuesday that it will send an under-23 team and not the senior side to the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States and Mexico.

The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) said under-23 coach Ricardo Gomes would include two foreign-based and 16 home-based in the squad for the tournament, which will take place from July 12-27.

The CBF said on its website that Gomes, who played for Brazil at the 1990 World Cup, had named Barcelona's Thiago Motta and Borussia Dortmund's Ewerthon as the foreign-based players.

The home-based, who could include Santos teenagers Diego and Robinho, will be announced next week.

Brazil has been invited to take part along with fellow South Americans Colombia and will face Mexico and Honduras in its first-round group, based in Mexico City. Mexico has also announced an under-strength squad for the tournament.

Gomes's main target is to win a gold medal at next year's Olympics in Athens. Brazil, five time World Cup winners, has never won the Olympic tournament.

The senior side was knocked out of the Confederations Cup in France on Monday.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Here is another article on Brazil's squad - they are only calling 18 players, instead of the 22 everybody is calling. And as mentioned, all 18 will be U23. I sincerely hope Brazil gets pummelled and never invited back, but in reality I doubt either will happen.

Pfft. If their senior team can be knocked out in the first round of the confed, their U23 team can be ousted from the Gold Cup.

The question is who is responsible for inviting these losers to a tournament they don't respect?

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:

They will send their U23 team (led by U23 coach Ricardo Gomes).

They have named two foreign-based players to the roster:

Thiago Motta (Barcelona)

Ewerthon (Borussia Dortmund)

The remaining 16 players will be Brazil-based and will be named in the next week.

Must say that even under 23 Brazil will be strong. Motta is a player who has come through the Barça youth system, been here for quite a few years. I have seen him play for the B side, and this year for the first team has done very well. Feisty, tall, good shot and good tackling; could be similar to Gilberto Silva. I think he is going to be a star for us next year. Depending how far Brazil gets he would then go directly to the Barça tour of the States, games vs. Milan, ManUtd and Juventus late July in the North East.

Here is the probable roster for the US' Gold Cup squad (although no official announcement has been made). This is the roster for the friendly against Paraguay.

Goalkeepers (2): Joe Cannon (out of contract), Kasey Keller (Tottenham Hotspur)

Defenders (5): Carlos Bocanegra (Chicago Fire), Dan Califf (Los Angeles Galaxy), Cory Gibbs (FC St. Pauli), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Greg Vanney (FC Bastia)

Midfielders (7): DaMarcus Beasley (Chicago Fire), Bobby Convey (D.C. United), Eddie Lewis (Preston North End), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), Richard Mulrooney (San Jose Earthquakes), Claudio Reyna (Sunderland), Earnie Stewart (D.C. United)

Forwards (4): Landon Donovan (San Jose Earthquakes), Clint Mathis (MetroStars), Brian McBride (Columbus Crew), Josh Wolff (Kansas City Wizards)

"Try not, do. Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

Arena releases US roster. In meantime, I sometimes get the feeling our roster will never be released.

Arena Announces Gold Cup Roster

Armas, Chris M 5'7" 150 08/27/72 50/2 Brentwood, N.Y. Chicago Fire (MLS)

Beasley, DaMarcus F 5'7" 126 05/24/82 24/4 Ft. Wayne, Ind. Chicago Fire (MLS)

Bocanegra, Carlos D 6'0" 170 05/25/79 15/2 Alto Loma, Calif. Chicago Fire (MLS)

Brown, Adin GK 6'4" 200 05/27/78 0/0 Pleasant Hill, Calif. New England Revolution (MLS)

Brown, C.J. D 6'0" 185 06/15/75 15/0 Hayward, Calif. Chicago Fire (MLS)

Califf, Dan D 6'1" 175 03/17/80 8/0 Orange, Calif. Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS)

Convey, Bobby M 5'8" 150 05/27/83 13/0 Philadelphia, Pa. D.C. United (MLS)

Donovan, Landon F 5'8" 148 03/04/82 38/9 Redlands, Calif. San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)

Garcia, Nick D 5'10" 160 04/09/79 4/0 Plano, Texas Kansas City Wizards (MLS)

Gibbs, Cory D 6'3" 178 01/14/80 3/0 Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. FC St. Pauli (Germany)

Hejduk, Frankie D/M 5'8" 155 08/05/74 47/5 Cardiff, Calif. Columbus Crew (MLS)

Howard, Tim GK 6'3" 210 03/06/79 9/0 North Brunswick, N.J. MetroStars (MLS)

Keller, Kasey GK 6'2" 190 11/29/69 61/0 Lacey, Wash. Tottenham Hotspur (England)

Klein, Chris M 6'1" 180 01/04/76 14/3 St. Louis, Mo. Kansas City Wizards (MLS)

Lewis, Eddie M 5'10" 155 05/17/74 48/4 Cerritos, Calif. Preston North End (England)

Mastroeni, Pablo D/M 5'10" 170 08/26/76 20/0 Phoenix, Ariz. Colorado Rapids (MLS)

Mathis, Clint M/F 5'10" 170 11/25/76 33/11 Conyers, Ga. MetroStars (MLS)

McBride, Brian F 6'1" 170 06/19/72 67/20 Arlington Heights, Ill. Columbus Crew (MLS)

Mulrooney, Richard M/D 5'9" 160 11/03/76 7/0 Memphis, Tenn. San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)

Ralston, Steve M 5’9” 160 06/14/74 10/1 St. Louis, Mo. New England Revolution (MLS)

Reyna, Claudio M 5'9" 160 07/20/73 92/8 Springfield, N.J. Sunderland (England)

Stewart, Earnie M/F 5'9" 145 03/28/69 91/15 Point Arena, Calif. D.C. United (MLS)

Twellman, Taylor F 5'11" 170 02/29/80 6/0 St. Louis, Mo. New England Revolution (MLS)

Vanney, Greg D 5'11" 169 06/11/74 21/0 Tempe, Ariz. F.C. Bastia (France)

Wolff, Josh F 5'8" 160 02/25/77 20/6 Stone Mountain, Ga. Kansas City Wizards (MLS)

Also a clarification to pass on re: the rosters in general. Concacaf regulations (copied below) apparently provide that only a squad of 18 can play at the Gold Cup, with 7 alternates which can also be named but can only play due to injury or serious illness (but not because the player's club team insists upon his recall). According to the regulation, the list of 25 players had to be into Concacaf by June 27th:

Provisional List of Players

Participating National Associations must provide their “List of Players” on the official form provided, to the office of the CONCACAF General Secretariat, at least 45 days prior to the first match. This list is not binding and must contain the names of at least 25 players. The list will be used for event promotion and data management.

Final Roster

Each participating Association shall submit to CONCACAF General Secretariat its Final list of 25 players not later than 15 days prior to the first match of the Final Phase. The list must be separated into two parts: 1) the 18 player roster for the tournament and 2) seven (7) reserve players. Upon receipt of the Final lists, CONCACAF shall immediately post the lists on its website: www.concacaf.com.

Teams will be permitted to shift up to four (4) players one time between the eighteen (18) player roster and the seven (7) reserve player list, up to 48 hours prior to their first match, at which time the two lists are Final.

Only the first eighteen (18) players shall be eligible to participate in the Final Phase of the tournament.

The participating National Associations may be allowed, with the approval of CONCACAF, to summon a player named on the list of seven (7) reserve players, at their expense, only in the case of a serious injury or illness. To make the change, the team must:

Provide a letter to the General Coordinator in the venue requesting the change and stating the nature of the injury or illness.

Attach a copy of the medical report detailing the illness or injury.

Once a player is replaced, he is no longer eligible to participate in the remainder of the tournament.

Archived