WWC Schedule, Venues

Mimglow

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/wwc0616schedule.html

As expected, the final will be played at the Home Depot Centre in Carson, California.

It is a bit odd that so much was made over the attendance record set last time in the Rose Bowl (90 000+ IIRC) and now they go and place in the final in a stadium that only holds approx. 27000 (in the same Metropolitan area). While a "soccer-specific stadium" is a big thing in the U.S., they're a dime a dozen in most of the rest of the world (not that the HDC isn't a nice example of one, and brand new). Having 90 000+ people at a women's soccer game is something that would make headlines around much of the world if they thought they could do it again.

Still, I agree that it's good for the stadium and LA Galaxy, not sure about the WWC as a whole.

PaulV

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/wwc0616schedule.html

As expected, the final will be played at the Home Depot Centre in Carson, California.

It is a bit odd that so much was made over the attendance record set last time in the Rose Bowl (90 000+ IIRC) and now they go and place in the final in a stadium that only holds approx. 27000 (in the same Metropolitan area). While a "soccer-specific stadium" is a big thing in the U.S., they're a dime a dozen in most of the rest of the world (not that the HDC isn't a nice example of one, and brand new). Having 90 000+ people at a women's soccer game is something that would make headlines around much of the world if they thought they could do it again.

Still, I agree that it's good for the stadium and LA Galaxy, not sure about the WWC as a whole.

PaulV

quote:Originally posted by PaulV

[brIt is a bit odd that so much was made over the attendance record set last time in the Rose Bowl (90 000+ IIRC) and now they go and place in the final in a stadium that only holds approx. 27000 (in the same Metropolitan area).

while i think if the US team does make it to the final, they can draw more than 27,000...but would a non-US final fill the rose bowl? i doubt it would.

quote:Originally posted by Elaine

while i think if the US team does make it to the final, they can draw more than 27,000...but would a non-US final fill the rose bowl? i doubt it would.

I'd agree. A non-US final might not even fill the Home Despot Center, but the risk of that is probably relatively small, don't you think? Especially considering that they're at home.

It depends on the costs of the Rose Bowl vs. HDC as well, but I'd think that they'd be looking at a fairly safe (though not guaranteed) bet for some additional revenue at a bigger stadium.

Oh well, lets hope Canada knocks them out anyway and it'll be a moot point. :-)

quote:Originally posted by PaulV

Yeah, I agree. In fact, I questioned this in that other thread (http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=232).

quote:Originally posted by Elaine:

Well, maybe, but then why did they have the 1999 WWC final at the Rose Bowl when there was always a chance that the US wouldn't make it?

By the end of the WWC I'm going to be sick of hearing about this new stadium and its stupid name. Time to stop going to Home Depot! Shop Canadian!

All this got me thinking about previous discussions about a 30,000-seat stadium in Toronto. Some people suggested that if such a stadium were to be built then all the biggest games, in particular the WWC final when we host the tournament (and of course big WCQ games), would be held in Toronto. Others suggested that, no way, Edmonton would still be number one. Interesting to see that when the Americans were faced with such a decision they went with the new, smaller stadium.

The 99 tournament was hyped for years. For as long as it was alive it was touted as a 'big tournament'. And despite all of the skeptics, the org committee did a great job and drew huge crowds to a lot of the games. Once the US drew a huge crowd (40k or more? I forget) for Denmark in Giants Stadium, suddenly everyone started to take notice. From there it became a phenomenon it became a big story down the stretch.

This one won't be and it kind of irks me that the US is treating it like a summer blockbuster sequel. Just do it good enough that it won't be a flop, but don't even try to one-up the original. Set your sights low and hope to achieve them.

Australia and Canada both bow out of the bid and then the US wins and decides to do it on a small scale anyway. This time around they already have an advantage of having an existing league with existing fan bases and infrastructure to market games.Despite having zero time to prepare, there are other factors that make this cup less daunting than the last one.

I'm not too close to the US women's scene. Is there any advertising going on? Any deals tied in with WUSA? Is there much buzz about this, it was pretty big news four years ago and this one seems totally off the radar.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

I wouldn't say it is completely off the radar. ESPN.com consistently have stories about the women's international team and they report news when it breaks as it pertains to the WC. I think they're playing it right. There's no doubt it will be a success...

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

don't forget that in the fall the rose bowl is occupied by NCAA football (UCLA)...and i read somewhere that a major issue in "selecting" stadiums is if the stadiums were willing to get rid of the football lines and such (which is a big deal...).

elaine

----

Go Big Red!!

http://www.gobigred.ca

Everything you need to know about Canadian Women's Soccer!!

Maybe this is for a new thread, but in the spirit of conciseness (word?), let me ask this: What is the big deal with line removal in a stadium? Is it an ego thing (the football people saying: "We ain't gonna change our lines for that Euro-Sport"), or is it really costly and time consumming to do?

Anybody know what it takes to change lines in a stadium?

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Anybody know what it takes to change lines in a stadium?

i don't know about the costs etc., but i think it's a rather lengthy process that can't be done overnight (ie. quick turnover if you had an arena for bball/hockey/concerts etc.)

i remember the USWNT played at arrowhead stadium in kansas city a day after an NFL game, and there was not enough time to get rid of the football lines, and it was just awful to watch, and i bet difficult for the players to play on. they had the soccer lines in yellow and with all the white lines for the grid for football, it was super hard to follow.

i think the philly stadium (where the NFL eagles play) might have a system that is quick in turnover...or something to that sort.

just my two cents...

elaine

----

Go Big Red!!

http://www.gobigred.ca

Everything you need to know about Canadian Women's Soccer!!

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

When will the groups be announced?

-------------------------

Sigma do toho!

The US Soccer Federation announcement only says "mid-July" at an unspecified date. So, they only know location of US team matches, which is a kind of a drag for those of us who would like to plan to attend a nearby match. I'n kind of hoping some of Canada's opening matches will be in Portland, closer to me.

Archived