June 14 - Calgary vs. Vancouver [R]

DJT

Played in Saskatoon:

Calgary 0 Vancouver 3

From Vancouver's site:

27' Vanc Jeff Clarke (Jason Jordan)

- A cross into the box was redirected by Jordan and finished off by Clarke, for his first goal of the season.

83' Vanc Jason Jordan (Oliver Heald)

- A nice pass from Heald sent Jordan in alone, and he scored his 3rd goal of the season.

90' Vanc Steve Kindel (Chris Craveiro)

- Kindel fired in his team-leading 4th goal of the year from Craveiro's pass.

5850 was the announced attendance. Winnipeg Fury, Cheetah, Matthew, myself and associates sat on the grass as there were few seats for the taking by the time we got there. Kind of a Ho Hum game. Calgary was not very organized in their attack, but the Saskatchewan boys and a couple of the Jamican's looked pretty good today. Second half was almost all Vancouver although noboby really stood out for the Whitecaps.

In a World full of caterpillars it takes balls to be a butterfly.

It was a good day. Our waitress was mental, Regina legend Dave Barros was there, the town was full of Shriners and the footy wasn't bad.

It was great meeting you guys and gals. I owe Cheetah big next time I'm in the peg. Thanks again.

Vancouver was rarely troubled by Calgary. The Storm didn't have too many ideas and asside from a couple of nice early crosses that Franks handled easily, they didn't create much. King was killing on the right flank, but couldn't get any decent crosses in and then Clarke started joining him on the flank and the Caps started to create some real danger.

Wheeldon subbed out Jr. after about 20 mins, but it didn't help much. I thought Clarke was MOTM because he really dominated the game when it was 0-0. Kindel had a really nice second half, but the game already seemed in the bag and Calgary wasn't even pressing forward. Fraser had some moments and Richard Henry showed flashes of obvious skill whenever the ball didn't go sailing over his head in the second half.

Dasovic, Skinner, Lyall all easily dealt with the aerial game. Pesznecker looked decent for Calgary getting forward and making himself available and supporting the midfielders. Korthuis actually looked pretty decent for a lumbering 18yo centre forward, he had a nice touch and worked back towards the midfield well.

Thompson missed two nearly unmissable chances (one of which might have been offside and Wheeldon got tossed arguing the call, though Glasnovic made the save). Glasnovic also made another great save early in the first (on Clarke I think).

Calgary's best chance came on quick counter which freed Gillespie down the left (and I believe he was still a leftback in a back four, so I have no idea what he was doing springing an offisde trap), but he wasn't able to finish.

The crowd was good, but dispassionate and full of kids. I'm not saying that an A-League team in Saskatoon won't work and I'd love to see one, but the crowd felt more like the Lynx' school day crowds than a normal A-League crowd. Promotion was huge (there were posters all over town) and it seemed like a big one off event. There were three seperate rep teams from Moose Jaw that made the trip along with a few other coaches. Those people obviously won't show up more than once or twice a year for the A-League. There was also a Swift Current girls team in front of us. But as Fury said after, even if half of those people come back frequently, the team will draw decently.

Calgarians: there was a man and a woman, both wearing Braveheart-style red and white face paint who had a big drum, who made the trip. Any idea who they were. They added a little atmosphere as did the College Nine.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

No and honestly it was a good thing. It's one thing to look like a jackass in another country, it's a little different when you're talking to the local tech. dir and people you deal with at work on a daily basis. Plus I didn't really have a rooting interest.

DJT> Are you getting the Voyageur Cup stats I've been sending?

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

As an asside, press reports indicate that the organizers think that of the 5,850 only 3k to 3,500 paid. Anyone under 10 got in for free. That tells you how young the crowd was.

Obviously young fans are important and should hopefully contribute to the fan base, but I think those numbers need to be looked at a little cautiously. Again, I hope Saskatoon will support soccer and get the chance to prove it.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Calgarians: there was a man and a woman, both wearing Braveheart-style red and white face paint who had a big drum, who made the trip. Any idea who they were. They added a little atmosphere as did the College Nine.

There's a photo of the man at http://www.canada.com/saskatoon/sports/story.asp?id=19574295-AD53-4276-AE64-F6AEB53B36BB. According to the caption he is from Saskatoon.

quote:DJT> Are you getting the Voyageur Cup stats I've been sending?
Yeah, I got them. Sorry I didn't get back to you. I'll put them up as soon as I get a chance.

Hey Matthew,

Easy there big guy, I'll hold you to it. Expecting at least one WCQ for the 'Peg so we'll get a chance to sing it up a bit yet. And the beer guy comes riiight up into the grandstand. It's a lovely sight to behold.

Pretty much saw the match the way you did. Lots of energy from Calgary but pretty aimlessly spent at times, especially moving upfield. Glasnovic's pretty solid and boy Gillespie sure covers a lot of the park some times.

Pesznecker must have galloped back 40 yards to deliver a perfect tackle on Jordon (?) outside Calgary's 6 yard box along the goal line with a wave of Whitecaps surging in expecting a hard, low, cross. Real nice tackle delivered with authority. Likely saved a goal. Good to see.

Screwed up a bit with the digital. Accidently erased some of the best snaps, including the "Griffith's Five" grandstander, sorry.

Forgot to mention to your brother an ol' Fury-Magpies connection. He's too young I sure to remember Ken Wharton's days at St. James' but he was a bit of a favorite up north once upon a time. Came out of retirement, rebuilt knees and all to spend some time here in Winnipeg. Awesome presence on the pitch. Instant, complete, command and a viscious little bugger at that. Sadly his stay turned into a Canadian mis-adventure so he took the insurance money and called it quites for good so far as I know. Real pity 'cause he had life still for football and he made the CSL a far better league.

P.S. Had fun, would do it again tomorrow. Long fu'king drive. Ug. Sorry about that little disappear at the E & C. Felt Grim Death's icy grip closing so I made a strategic withdrawl (I'm blaming Gordon's Richards, but MaryAnne says apparently I'm suppose to eat). Missed you guys by a couple of minutes. Ah well, next time.

Minority of one

Cheeta> Yeah sorry about bailing, but Erin was starting to look at her watch and we figured we'd better go. Since she was going to have to drive us all home. It's Rickard's BTW, wouldn't want you to drink some more by accident :) Why weren't you eating there was plenty of food there.

Anyway, hold me to it next time you see me. I appreciate the hospitality. Hopefully the next game will be a little more inspiring.

When did Wharton play with the Fury? My brother has lots of books NUFC so I'm sure he's heard of him at some point.

Take care, good meeting you and MaryAnne.

cheers,

matthew

Guessing here but I'd say '89-'90. Some one else might remember better than me but it was the last seasons they'd play at Winnipeg Stadium. They'd had a miserable season previously, missed the playoffs, local players were grumbling about being ignored, blah, blah, blah so Walt McKee contacted some contacts (as I remember it). Kenny wasn't ready to retire so he thought he'd start some eventual player-coach or coaching career by going overseas and boy did we need him.

Felt really bad for him as things eventualy went sour from all the off field bull****. But the man could play. If I ever met him today I'd feel I had to apologise on behalf of all the footy supporters for how things went through no fault of his own. Was poor as a church mouse in those days but Wharton made it impossible not to go out to the park.

Minority of one

I doubt they'd hold a WCQ in Winnipeg at CanadInns. First off, Winnipeg hasn't shown that they need a larger venue then the 8000-10000 which can be accomodated at the Winnipeg Soccer Complex. Secondly, I am pretty sure the football lines and markings on the AstroPlay surface in the stadium are permanent. I'd like to see any real match played on grass, no matter how good the new plastic is.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I doubt they'd hold a WCQ in Winnipeg at CanadInns. First off, Winnipeg hasn't shown that they need a larger venue then the 8000-10000 which can be accomodated at the Winnipeg Soccer Complex. Secondly, I am pretty sure the football lines and markings on the AstroPlay surface in the stadium are permanent. I'd like to see any real match played on grass, no matter how good the new plastic is.

As opposed to all those fake home games we've been getting? [:o)]

My thinking has changed in that I think that big games (like WCQ) should be promoted and treated like city-wide and province-wide big events, as opposed to little things for local soccer organizations in the know. Set up a "major" venue and a minimum level of professionalism (which includes promotion) and I think that people will go, because, as we all know, people are sheep ;). Didn't we just get 18,000 people in Ottawa for a women's friendly???

A few soccer games at Molson Stadium will prove me right or wrong...

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Unless it's a later round clash against a conference favorite don't see it happening either, or a need for it. Dought we'll get one late in qualifying unless an earlier match is some run away success as yet unseen by CSA history. Going by the set up for Pan-Am they had, don't see how you can go wrong either allthough it's a little mickey mouse. Full house felt great, looked great, and had to add to some energy to the match for both sides.

Minority of one

Daniel, absolutely agree all around. When the lads make their final push for qualifying a little promotion is going to get those small "c" casual spectators out to the matchs especially as they're closing on locking up a spot for Germany. People do like a spectacle, and they do like to wave the flag a little so,,,.

Those next to nothing ticket give aways I just fu'king hate. If you can't pay $10 for a ticket (minimum) then you're not interested enough to be there. Call it commitment money. Nice to see so many younger kids out at matchs but honestly I don't know how much that sells football. I'm likely wrong. Edmonton's getting an A-League club and Montreal looks to be doing just fine but I still don't like it. Seems every match our Nat's play in a larger venue they need to fill the house with youngsters by giving a free ride. Of course if the men every play at home again maybe things may well be different.

P.S. Bombers are going on every day about the new turf. The traction, the feel under foot, the grip on the ball, the bounce of the ball, the footware selection. They WANT bad weather to see how the plastic changes. Excepting that traction is a bit better than natural grass, and not a whole lot at that apparently it's two thumbs up all around. Haven't seen how it's been laid down yet but if they did it right we could actually have a pretty good sized field for football at Winnipeg Stadium with the crowd fairly tight in. But like jonovision wrote the paint brushs well have to be brought out for any non CFL match first.

Minority of one

But the thing with kids is that once you give the event mainstream credibility, you will see an older, hipper crowd.

Like I said, a few (Impact) games at Molson Stadium will probably prove this theory, as pretty much everyone here loves the place. Give them an event which could be exciting (a soccer match) and tell them it's at MS, and they won't have the little-league impression they get just by hearing "CCR"...

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

You'll have to forgive my ignorance guys, but I've made an album up on webshots.com of some of the snaps from the match. As I don't know how to post a picture, or a link, or tie my left shoe, I'll just "baby talk" you guys to them.

Again, sorry but stupid, drunkin', Cheeta managed to erase all the really good pic's. Had a real nice action scene with the crowd in the background from behind the north net (ie closest to the beer gardens) but of course, wham, pow, you-know-who erased it. Also had a snap of the Storm supporters with the drum and acordian but no, couldn't keep that on the chip. Or the excellent half time shot of Winnipeg Fury, Rob, Matthew, Corey, Mike and Gordon standing around looking like they're wondering if they went to get beers if someone would steal the bit of grass they'd been sitting on. Priceless. But alas, all lost.

Sooo. At webshots.com click on "community". On the community page scroll to the bottom. Click on "find a member". Type in "cheeta339". The search result well show "cheeta339" click on that and the only album on that page "Griffith's Stadium" has a half dozen snaps for those who are interested.

[Help from DJT: http://community.webshots.com/user/cheeta339]

P.S. Stormstu has an nice album under the sports-soccer category for those who don't know yet. How the hell did he get into the V.I.P. tent?

Minority of one

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

You'll have to forgive my ignorance guys, but I've made an album up on webshots.com of some of the snaps from the match. As I don't know how to post a picture, or a link, or tie my left shoe, I'll just "baby talk" you guys to them.

Again, sorry but stupid, drunkin', Cheeta managed to erase all the really good pic's. Had a real nice action scene with the crowd in the background from behind the north net (ie closest to the beer gardens) but of course, wham, pow, you-know-who erased it. Also had a snap of the Storm supporters with the drum and acordian but no, couldn't keep that on the chip. Or the excellent half time shot of Winnipeg Fury, Rob, Matthew, Corey, Mike and Gordon standing around looking like they're wondering if they went to get beers if someone would steal the bit of grass they'd been sitting on. Priceless. But alas, all lost.

Sooo. At webshots.com click on "community". On the community page scroll to the bottom. Click on "find a member". Type in "cheeta339". The search result well show "cheeta339" click on that and the only album on that page "Griffith's Stadium" has a half dozen snaps for those who are interested.

P.S. Stormstu has an nice album under the sports-soccer category for those who don't know yet. How the hell did he get into the V.I.P. tent?

Minority of one

Cheetah, no need to apologise on the deletes. At least I can remain Gordon, International Man of Mystery for a little while longer. Enjoyed meeting you and MaryAnne and I have to say you are one heck of a civil drunk (and MaryAnne one heck of a tolerant lady to put up with the likes of you :D). I'll be seeing that side of you next time their is a game of note in Winnipeg as, like Matthew, I owe you a few (and Winnipeg Fury as well). Going to check out your webshots...

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Archived