Italian SuperCup at Giants Stadium

littleD

[i'm going to Juve-Man Utd, so I'll have to extend my visit. :)]

This year’s Italian Supercup between Juventus and Milan will be held in New York, it was confirmed today.

The trophy is contested between the winners of the Scudetto and the Coppa Italia holders, but in this case also happens to be a replay of the Champions’ League Final.

Last season’s edition was held in Libya, but New York has won out over competition from Tokyo.

The match will take place at the Giants Stadium on August 3 2003, a good three weeks earlier than the original August 24 date.

The decision was made because both Milan and Juve will be in the United States for a summer tour during that period.

It has now become traditional to play the Italian Supercup overseas in a bid to increase ticket sales.

Juventus are the holders after beating Parma 2-1.

quote:Originally posted by coppercanuck

Boy, the Italian system is really looking for new money. I imagine the TV money may have something to do with it too.

Well, sort of, but not completely. A better explanation is that Juve and Milan fans just don't care about the Supercup (they are spoiled, you see, so that nothing matters to them except Serie A (actually Juve fans seemed to barely care even about that this year) and the big CL games (big opponents or later stages) --- this doesn't happen in Rome, where the real fans are!). So the league decided to move it elsewhere to save it. So, yeah, obviously there's more money coming in this way, but it's not as if they went specifically looking for something to use to get more money, but rather they looked for a way to save the Supercup (though I imagine they won't return to Italy now, even if the game were to be played in a different city). As for TV money, I doubt that there's any more to be made with this game than with the rest of the money-grabbing Barça/Celtic/Juve/Man U/Milan tour.

I'd be surprised if both teams give it their all in this game and in the other games on the US tour. The Italian season won't begin until the end of August, so it's too early for serious friendlies if they don't want to burn out.

• 1 month later...

Re: Italian Supercup

I'm interested in going to the Milan_Juve game on Aug.3rd. Could someone please infoem me on how I can get tickets, and if there are buses leaving to Toronto area? Are there Packages? How much are the tickets?

• 2 weeks later...

You can get tickets at ticketmaster.com. They start at $35 US. I just got my tickets on Saturday - one week before the game - and there were still plenty of tickets available! So it might be even possible to just show up at the stadium right before the game and get tickets there. But I would still recommend ticketmaster. .. There will be buses leaving the Port Authority bus terminal in Midtown Manhattan to get you to the game...

quote:Originally posted by dmagnoli

Re: Italian Supercup

I'm interested in going to the Milan_Juve game on Aug.3rd. Could someone please infoem me on how I can get tickets, and if there are buses leaving to Toronto area? Are there Packages? How much are the tickets?

AMacPherson

Archived