Looks like its going to be a 32 team WC

Massive Attack

German soccer president believes World Cup will stay at 32 teams

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2003/06/12/109738-ap.html

HAMBURG, Germany (AP) - The president of the German Soccer Federation said Thursday he's convinced the 2006 World Cup will remain at 32 teams, despite a South American push to add four more countries.

Germany is the host of the upcoming World Cup and will back the position of FIFA president, who has promised to fight expansion.

"I'm assuming that at the next meeting, the issue will be decided the way Blatter and I believe it should," Gerhard Mayer-Vorfelder, head of the DFB, told the Frankfurter Allgemeine daily.

Mayer-Vorfelder is a member of FIFA's executive committee, which will meet at the end of the month to decide on the proposal to add four teams, whose chief backing comes from Brazil and Argentina.

South America lost one berth in the upcoming Germany World Cup.

"I'll fight to make sure it stays at 32 teams," Blatter said Wednesday. "I believe common sense and solidarity will triumph over regional interests."

Blatter said he believes further expansion will complicate the World Cup, while an expansion from 24 teams to 32 at the 1998 World Cup in France created a balance with eight groups of four.

Blatter and other top soccer officials believe expanding teams will also pose difficulties with existing promotional and television contracts.

"It has to start somewhere

It has to start sometime

What better place than here

What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now"

Guerilla Radio - Rage Against The Machine

If South America is denied their 36 team expansion, then Sepp Blatter will suffer a humiliating defeat at the next election of FIFA in 2006. All Presidents of South American federations are set to defeat Blatter. This is stated on the last article in Spanish which I posted in the last thread. Blatter is caught between a rock and a hard place. Blatter actually won the last election with the huge bloc of votes from CONMEBOL. His old ennemies such as UEFA President Lennart Johansson are seeking for revenge against Blatter. This one is not over yet. All the Presidents of every South American federations are travelling together with Nicholas Leoz (President of CONMEBOL) to defend the proposal at the General Convention of FIFA this Saturday. They are also expected to be there during the time of the vote on June-28/03.

In the last election, many other continents refused to vote for Blatter. Therefore, Blatter turned to South America, and it was South America that gave Blatter the boost he needed to win the election. Now Sepp Blatter has falling-out of favour with South America. South Americans now feel betray by this back-stabber. Furthermore, Blatter won that election under the most controversial ways. His opponent Lennart Johansson accussed Blatter of cheating his way into the office of the Presidency of FIFA. Johansson is still seeking for revenge.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

How do they have a huge block of votes? There's only 10 nations in CONMEBOL

It has to start sometime

It was the Executive Council of FIFA that awarded the games to South America and not Blatter himself.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

The back-stabber who just awarded them the 2014 World Cup. He should back-stab Canada!!

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

This is indeed a bi-lateral decision between Blatter and the Executive Council. Both parties work hand-and-hand with these decisions. Let's remember that it was the Executive Council that have favoured 36-team expansion last month. With this decision, Blatter now feels the heat that he is losing grip of the issue.

It seems to me, that at first, most people were in favour of adding 4 teams to the World Cup. But, the more they started to think about it, the more they realized how stupid 9 groups of 4 sounded.

It has to start sometime

Archived