Women's World Cup TV?

Mimglow

I was simply wondering if any of the Canadian Networks have announced that they will be showing the WWC? ESPN has the rights for the U.S., so usually that means TSN.

Anybody hear anything?

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

I've not heard anything yet, either, but I am certain that Sportsnet will show the games. They are, believe it or not, the official network of the CSA. It is possible that the CBC could out-bid Sportsnet, but I believe that the CSA and Sportsnet have an agreement. Not sure if the agreement is exclusive--it is certainly not exclusive, now that I think about it--but I believe Sportsnet gets first crack at CSA games.

Anybody else heard anything[?]

I've not heard anything yet, either, but I am certain that Sportsnet will show the games. They are, believe it or not, the official network of the CSA. It is possible that the CBC could out-bid Sportsnet, but I believe that the CSA and Sportsnet have an agreement. Not sure if the agreement is exclusive--it is certainly not exclusive, now that I think about it--but I believe Sportsnet gets first crack at CSA games.

Anybody else heard anything[?]

quote:Originally posted by BeaverBoy

I've not heard anything yet, either, but I am certain that Sportsnet will show the games.

I could be wrong but I think that Mimglow was asking about all the WWC games, not just Canada's games. I believe that all of Canada's games should be available live on CBC but if not then at least on Sportsnet or TSN, and with WTSN now available I also believe that all of the remaining games should be broadcast live as well. (Not many people have WTSN, but for an extra $3-$12 (depending on whether or not you already have a digital box) you can get it for one month, which would be a pretty good deal to get the WWC.)

(Note that everything I said here is what I believe should happen. I don't have any information regarding whether or not it will happen, though I do think that our chances of getting all of the games live are pretty good.)

No offense to Sportsnet, but I hope CBC shows Canada's matches, ratings will be higher & exposure will be greater if that happens. Also, how do they justify, as the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, showing the men's World Cup which didn't feature Canada but not showing the Women's World Cup which did feature Canada.

In reality, CBC should always have been carrying all of Canada's national team matches, like they used to do in the 70's & 80's.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

I know it's Rogers Sportsnet, but is Sportsnet still tied to CTV? It would be great to get a game or two on a non-cable station, like the Russian game in 99.

How were the ratings in 99? Does anyone remember? I watched the whole tournament and rather enjoyed doing so.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Didn't TSN cover the WWC in '99 after the CSA contract went to Sportsnet?

no.

sportsnet showed all of canada's game during WWC99 with their own commentators -- dobson, stumbos and lenerduzzi (sp? lol) (in studio, not at the game location) and showed other games with the int'l feed/broadcasters. CTV (the main network) aired the world cup finals b/t usa vs. china throughout the country.

TSN aired the 1995 women's world cup (espn feeds) and the ratings were so horrible that they have yet to aired canadian women's soccer since then.

elaine

----

Go Big Red!!

http://www.gobigred.ca

Everything you need to know about Canadian Women's Soccer!!

Archived