McKenna & Fenwick Gold Cup news

Gian-Luca

From Edinburghnews.com:

Capital star Paul Fenwick could be caught in a club v country row. Picture Andrew Stuart.

Canadian duo face dilemma over selection

DAVID HARDIE

CAPITAL stars Paul Fenwick and Kevin McKenna could be caught in a club v country row with Canada’s Gold Cup campaign set to kick off in the middle of the Edinburgh outfits’ pre-season preparations.

The Canadians are due to play Costa Rica and Cuba in a qualifying group in mid-July but the final of the competition, which they won in 2000, takes place in Mexico City less than a fortnight before the new season gets underway.

The Hibs and Hearts stars are due to report back for pre-season training early next month but it seems certain that Canadian coach Holger Osiek will call on the services of both Fenwick and McKenna who are regulars in his side.

McKenna scored in Canada’s 4-1 defeat by Germany only a few days ago while Fenwick won his 29th cap as he, too, played the entire 90 minutes in Wolfsburg.

Today Fenwick admitted the timing of the Gold Cup, our equivalent of the European Championships, could cause problems with the Hibs defender due to discuss the situation with boss Bobby Williamson when he returns from holiday.

Fenwick said: "Personally, I’d like to play in the Gold Cup but my priorities lie with Hibs.

"I’m expecting to have the full details of what’s entailed faxed to me later this week and I’ll then have to discuss it both with the club and Holger Osiek."

Canada’s first match, in the Foxboro Stadium in Massachusetts, is against Costa Rica on July 12 with their second against Cuba following two days later although Fenwick and McKenna would obviously be expected to report earlier to train with their international team-mates.

As two of the three countries qualify for the quarter-finals of the competition, it seems certain that Canada’s involvement would be extended although Fenwick has admitted it would be a "hard slog" for his side to make the final which takes place on July 27.

Fenwick revealed the fact he is suspended for the opening game of the new Premierleague season may help to secure his international release with boss Williamson’s blessing.

He said: "I’ll obviously have to talk things over but the fact I’m banned for the first match of the season means it may be better for me to be over there playing games.

"I don’t know what the boss’ thinking will be, but it could well be that in Hibs’ friendly matches in the build-up to the new season he’ll be looking to get his defence settled ahead of the opening day. The more games you play the better it is for your fitness and it might be a chance for me to do that although the boss may have different ideas."

Meanwhile, Hibs are staging a summer soccer school for children aged between five and 12 in partnership with Next Generation Health Club, Newhaven, between July 14 and August 8, from 10am until 12noon.

The weekly cost is £30 but for Hibs Kids and Next Generation members there is a discount and they will have to pay £27 for the course.

All children taking part will receive a gift and certificate of attendance signed by Bobby Williamson.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

Archived