Davide Xausa still injured?

marcl_19

I know he was injured for some time this year, but with what? and will he be back for the gold cup? He's got a great shot form what i understand and he could use his expearience (32 caps). He is also versatile, can be used as forward or in the midfeild. what are your guys' poinions on him?

Do we add him to the list then?

Parker

Bircham

Aguiar

Watson

Twamley

Xausa

Menezes

That would leave three more for a nice even 10.

Not sure about Menezes, unless you know something about him. I think the main reason is that he has lost his form. It's hard to not play for so long and still play competitve soccer. and when he was playing, he was in 2nd division Chinese league!!!

Reza

No truth to the Xausa rumours at all (I have no idea about the Menezes rumours though). He did not get into a heated debate with Holger after being subbed out of the Libya match, because he wasn't even called for the Libya match.

The last match Xausa has played for Canada was against the US in January. I was there & saw no fighting at all between Xausa & Holger when Xausa was subbed out. Quite the opposite.

Holger wanted to call him for the Germany match, but apparently an injury made him unavailable.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

Uhm, sorry to bust in like this, but Twamley? Are we talking about the same Twamley here, or what?

I wanted to mock the Parker angle, to be honest, but adding Twamley to the list was just too good.

Anyhow, I'm anxiously awaiting the locker room source myself.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Well a locker room argument would make more sense. Mind you he also got into an argument with Holger after the US game in 2002 at the Gold Cup (not to mention the sulk off the field against Mexico in 2000) & still came back. We may not want to read too much into an argument. If something is announced that would be helpful, but its not an announcement I would like to hear (same with Menezes).

I know that Holger was looking to call him for the Germany match, it didn't sound like he was aware of any international retirement on Xausa's part (if he was aware of one I don't think he would have volunteered Xausa's name). Plus I was speaking to a buddy of Xausa's today after today's A-league match, nothing was mentioned there either on that front.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

Guest Jeffery S.

You want sources?

I like this thread, someone who has information about an incident with a national team player and Holger cites someone who was there and obviously cannot say who. I don't say I believe it, nor that it has to be that important, but since I have also spoken to people "who were there" at different moments of the national program clearly I have to be discreet about citing them directly. Sure they give their own versions of things. But what do folks think, things are a) nicer and sweeter than what we see b)a lot dirtier and sour than what we see.

But tell me just why there are so many on this board who want to preserve Holger's sainthood at all costs, preserving their naivety at the same time, at the cost of the national program?

Since after all, if Holger get's his only big result when he just came on board, what is the appropriate conclusion? That he inherited other's work and when that faded and his came to the fore our results failed as well? Or that he performed a miracle at the start when he didn't have a clear idea about where he was nor who the players were, but now he really knows what is going on his results are even worse?

Again, I don't know if I'm included in the pool of people Jeffrey is talking about or not, in this instance I am simply interested in making sure people are fully informed about the situation & preventing mis-information from spreading, rather than being interested in preseriving Holger's "sainthood" - which I don't think is possible, even if one should be interested in preserving such a thing. There was obviously a factual error with the original post by Mouse & so I pointed it out, as well as some of the reasons why I do not believe that the "worst" has happened in this case (especially since the incident took place 6 months ago, I think if a retirement had taken place we would have heard about it officially by now - and Holger wouldn't have been considering Xausa for selection against Germany).

I also don't blame people for asking for the general source of the information. Even if no specific names are mentioned its nice to get an idea of where the info is coming from. I think we'd be naive simply to take everything that gets said here at face value if we have no idea who the poster is or where they are getting their info from. Otherwise you get "Belotte on trial with the Lynx" situations, rumous that spread like wildfire around various internet sites.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I have to agree with that last little paragraph by Jeffrey. It seems to me that Holger is living off the 2000 Gold Cup performance. We haven't really done anything spectacular since then. We were outclassed in the 2001 Confederation Cup. We were pathetic in World Cup qualifying. We fluked our way to the 2002 Gold Cup semis and in our recent friendlies against teams that are half decent, we haven't been able to keep up. Playing 1 good half against Germany hardly seems like any consolation. The funny thing is, after the 2000 Gold Cup win, there was this sort of romantic sense of hope for the Men's team. It seemed like Canada was ready to step into the top 3 in Concacaf (and Qualify for the WC). Three years latter, that hope has faded (for me at least).

"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees."

Emiliano Zapata

I don't agree with the way you've dismissed all of the national team's achievements since the 2000 Gold Cup.

We certainly "fluke" our way into the 2002 Gold Cup semis - we rightfully deserved first place in our group because of Xausa's legitimate goal against Haiti that was called back (which would have given us first place in our group on goal differential.) Getting first place in the draw was lucky, but it was also deserved and made up for the horrible offside call. Finishing first in our group gave us a soft quarterfinal opponent in Martinique (who had already upset T&T to get that far), then we took the Yanks to penalties in the semi-final before capping off the tournament with a ripping win over South Korea in the third match. All in all, it was a good tournament that solidified our place as a legitimate contender in CONCACAF.

As for our friendlies since then - sure we've had some poor results but, again, saying that we haven't been able to keep up with teams that are half decent is a stretch. The only friendly in which we've had anything close to our first choice lineup in the last two years was against Switzerland in Switzerland and we thrashed them. We've struggled whenever Jason DeVos has been absent, which makes depth in defence my major long-term concern at the moment, but when we've had DeVos in the lineup we've been fine.

I'm not trying to preserve Holger's sainthood either, but I do think that both the defenders and the detractors of Holger have been unbalanced in their criticisms - he's not a genius but he's not an idiot either.

Mike D

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

You want sources?

Without offence to anyone who posts information they've come across, I like to have some idea where the information comes from.

In this day and age, when media tells us what they want us to believe, you can't expect me to just take things at face value. Again, without offence to anyone here.

If I come across any priviliged info, I'll be the first to tell you where it comes from. There are ways to do this without necessarily revealing names, as Gian-Luca pointed out.

We need to be vigilant with one another is this little community, to make sure what we post is valid, and not hear-say.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Anonymity is required when a player or someone close to a player posts information only a player could have knowledge of. Sometimes you have to read between the (by)lines.

Yup, I agree. Some anonymity is definitely required in this sort of situation. I also feel (closer to know, actually) that the source posting this is VERY reliable and I believe every word.

"Half of what I say is bull****, the other half are the most important things you will ever hear." Nicky Wire

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

We need to be vigilant with one another is this little community, to make sure what we post is valid, and not hear-say.

Vigilant? Why? This is a messageboard, whether it's hearsay or truth it can and should be discussed. To dismiss amongst ourselvessomething because we can't guarantee its accuracy is something for the CBC, not the Vees' Board. A news page is a source for 100% accurate information. A messageboard is for accurate info as well, but also for the conjecture, rumour, and discussion that doens't fit anywhere else, and that as fans we all crave.

The last thing we would want to do is be 'vigilant' in that sense, and scare off the inside information, sometimes accurate, sometimes not, that makes the Vees' boards one step ahead of the others.

Oh, and Ryan is right. For sure.

(Not trying to rag on you, but being vigilant about what is posted is just silly for a messageboard, in my opinion. One of my many many peeves I guess. Yes, I'm bitter. :) )

Monday mornings 7 - 9: Wake up to African music on CFMU 93.3 Hamilton or cfmu.mcmaster.ca

All good points Marc...

Accountability is important to me, and I will always question validity. It'll make for interesting discussion, that's for sure... ;)

Anonymity breeds dishonesty and hidden agendas.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

OK, cool, if you meant it in the personal sense and not a board-wide vigilance then I apologize for dumping on you. :)

Monday mornings 7 - 9: Wake up to African music on CFMU 93.3 Hamilton or cfmu.mcmaster.ca

Archived